Green Room

Video: The greatest pageant answer ever?

posted at 3:12 pm on December 20, 2012 by

The clip really doesn’t do it justice. You need to read the transcript to appreciate its perfection. It’s Billy-Madison-level incoherent.

The great lingering question: Would this answer have made any more sense in Spanish? What was she trying to say?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sounds like she’s saying we have enough laws already, so she deserved to win on substance alone, regardless of delivery.

Mark1971 on December 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Also, it sounds like she says that getting laid is in the Constitution.

Mark1971 on December 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I *THINK* she was trying to say we have enough laws already, but I have no idea honestly.

I am also thrilled to hear that Miss USA won the competition, as she is from Rhode Island. Because she went to a private high school in RI and I went to a private high school in RI, we are both a part of a very tight knit community, and so I can now brag and say I have 92 mutual Facebook friends with Miss Universe! Based on that, while we’ve never formally met, I’m sure we’ve been at the same school dances or some such thing over the years, which is kinda cool to think about.

vegconservative on December 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Awesome, reminds me of the blond southern girl a few years back who gave just as good of an answer.

tommer74 on December 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Her response should have been:

Impossible question, only Hugo can make laws.

tommer74 on December 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Your what hurts?

CurtZHP on December 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

How many heterosexual guys out there are actually listening to her speak anyway?

JetBoy on December 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

JetBoy on December 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

She was speaking?

darwin on December 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Did she say something?

KCB on December 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM

lol i understand what she was trying to say- she was saying that we should just accept the laws we already have, just like if you’re a surfer waiting for a wave, you have to surf on whatever size and shape happens to come to you, you can’t change it.

but what a cop-out. she only said it because she couldn’t think of anything else XD

vegconservative on December 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM

that’s pretty cool =D

tommer74 on December 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

yeah THAT was the best pageant answer ever…

Sachiko on December 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

vegconservative on December 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Back in the 70s I knew Miss Teen RI.

I think the young woman went home crying that night. It seems like she really doesn’t speak english but tried to impress by doing so. To bad for her. She should have just used the translator.

Frank Enstine on December 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM

JetBoy on December 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I seen better. And that dress made her look like a fake Christmas tree.

CurtZHP on December 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

She should have answered

in Spanish. I bet she would have answered much better….at least I hope.

terryannonline on December 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

JetBoy on December 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

She said something?

I’m sure whatever it was was just fine.

trigon on December 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Well, you can’t argue with that.

Observation on December 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

i found another video of her…

yeah english is not her best subject

Sachiko on December 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Sachiko on December 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

How do you know she’s not a passionate small-government advocate?

steebo77 on December 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I think she said that there should be a law that lets her wait to take the best wave. Important to surfers, I guess.
Anyway, appreciate that she answered(?) in english. I could not have in spanish.

Jabberwock on December 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

i found another video of her…

yeah english is not her best subject

Sachiko on December 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

So her family owns a factory in Chavez’s Venezuela. No wonder she thinks there are enough laws already.

Mark1971 on December 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Jabberwock on December 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Yes, I give her credit for attempting to answer in English.

Mark1971 on December 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Yes, I give her credit for attempting to answer in English.

Mark1971 on December 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Yes – she comes to the US for a pageant and tries to impress by speaking English. Others come here for their livelihood and refuse to adapt by learning the native language.

I give up.

CycloneCDB on December 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM

And by the way – I don’t care what language she uses. They had to have the pageant in Vegas because it’s one of the last places they allow SMOKING indoors. And she was.

CycloneCDB on December 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I heard her through the nervousness, and less-than-masterful grasp of English. Most of her answer (unscrambled) was pretty danged good!

Asked what new law she’d create, Miss Venezuela said that we don’t need new laws other than those already written, or in the Constitution. She then said it’s up to us to lead a law-abiding (“straight”) life.

I suppose she wanted to squeeze in something personal in the few remaining seconds, so she blurted that she’s a surfer and that to ride the very best wave, you have to wait for it (patience–a virtue lawbreakers generally do not have).

Delightful young woman!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I give up.

CycloneCDB on December 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM

^^^This^^^

I could not imagine myself trying to pull that off in front of thousands when I first came to America.

JPeterman on December 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM

The first part to me sounds like she is proposing natural rights.

“I think that any leyes [laws] that are in constitution or in life are already made. I think that we should have a straight (recto; derecho [just; upright; lawful]) way to go in our similar or in our lives. For example, I am a server [waitress], and I think that the best way that I can take is that I can wait (esperar [same word used for both "wait" and "hope"]) for it [does she mean "make your own lot in life and wait/hope for the better?] so please do the only law that we can do.

[***With my thoughts on how she may have mistranslated or left something out.]

Glenn Jericho on December 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I found a video of her being interviewed in Spanish on Telemundo. She handles herself much better in her native language. Apparently she’s speaks 4-5 languages (although, presumably not all of them well).

When asked about people associating beauty with a lack of intelligence, she actually brings up people thinking pageant contestants are stupid because they get nervous and don’t answer questions well. But she assures the interviewer (and the little girls of Venezuela) that if you study hard and prepare yourself properly, as she claims to have done, you will do “excellent.” Guess she jinxed herself.

steebo77 on December 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Yeah that answer was actually pretty damned good. Just hard to understand considering shes speaking a foreign language. Too quick to judge ya’ll are.

Kanyin on December 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Careful, the UN may offer you a job.

Jabberwock on December 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I have to disagree with you on this, AP. Miss Teen South Carolina 2007 gave the greatest pageant answer ever. EVER.

Why one-fifth of Americans can’t find the U.S. on a world map…

“I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some … people out there in our nation don’t have maps and uh, I believe that our, ah, education like such as in South Africa, and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for.”

The Rogue Tomato on December 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Oh, and just imagine if Miss Teen South Carolina had tried to say that in Spanish.

The Rogue Tomato on December 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Careful, the UN may offer you a job.

Jabberwock on December 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Thanky! Though I suppose if I’d read a soulless transcript instead of trying to hear to her, it really would have seemed like gibberish!

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Next question: What if chicks like her totally, awesomely ran the world? (Hint: O.M.G.)

Seth Halpern on December 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM

At first, I thought this was a Jay Carney press conference…

Political Wrinkles

cnredd on December 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM

That was just incoherent

—that “maps” girl

jdpaz on December 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM

And she surfs, too?! I’m in love.

John the Libertarian on December 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I’ve heard this answer hundreds of times before from any Obama Administration official answering any question on any subject by a Republican at a Congressional oversight hearing.

Dusty on December 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM

[Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM]

Thank you. My expectations weren’t high enough to pay attention carefully, so I’d like to apologize to her in person for my terribly insulting previous comment on it. Please hit my the tip box using the PayPal button at ….

Dusty on December 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

She was auditioning to be Jay Carney’s replacement.

Too easy?

Shump on December 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

She was robbed!!!! She could have stood there mute and got full points! Look at her… Duh. and I am a hetero female.

southernms on December 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

vegconservative on December 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM

What do you look like in a bathing suit? :)

Blake on December 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

She was nervous and speaking a foreign language, English. Let’s cut her a break.

Blake on December 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Please hit my the tip box using the PayPal button at ….

Dusty on December 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I pushed the “Donate Now” button and am just waiting to see if more than $500 was moved to you from my PayPal acct.

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

The greatest pageant answer ever?

How soon we forget.

Frank Enstine on December 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Exactly right. Miss Venezuela gave an otherwise great answer in a language she doesn’t speak very well. She’s almost bilingual, but not quite. Miss South Carolina, on the other hand, gave an incomprehensible answer because her IQ is roughly equal to her bust measurement. She is almost monolingual, but not quite. Big difference.

rogaineguy on December 20, 2012 at 7:21 PM

southernms on December 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Are you sure about that?

You might want to go in for recalibration – sounds like you’re about to switch teams!

(I’m pretty sure that I’d switch teams too after watching her!)

turfmann on December 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM

[Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM]

D@mn PayPal, it hasn’t shown up yet. You can mail it if you want to.

Dusty on December 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM

That was more coherent then anything Obama has ever said. We DO have too many laws.

bitsy on December 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Sure she’s beautiful, but can a 20-year-old girl answer vague political questions with aplomb in front of a world audience of millions while having her ankles twisted in 6″ heels?

DarthBrooks on December 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Reminds me of my brothers beautiful but painfully stupid wife from Brazil. She rambles on incoherently too. Trying to contribute to a conversation on global warming she once explained that we needed to recycle to prevent tsunamis.

She’s also afraid to go to the bars out here because the KKK will get her. She lives in LA and gets her news from MSNBC and is convinced the KKK will get her if she leaves the coasts.

Grade-A stupid.

jhffmn on December 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM

jhffmn on December 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM

She must be from the Northeast.

steebo77 on December 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM

That South Carolina girl was funnier because she actually gave a stupid answer. This lady clearly doesn’t speak good English, so it’s not as funny to me.

Daemonocracy on December 21, 2012 at 1:35 AM