Green Room

Newt: Let’s face it, I probably would have done better than Romney against Obama

posted at 1:17 pm on December 20, 2012 by

I am, to put it mildly, skeptical, but read all of this interview, as he’s a trenchant critic of the current Republican difficulties. This part in particular is newsy coming from the guy who helped push DOMA through:

On gay marriage, meanwhile, Gingrich argued that Republicans could no longer close their eyes to the course of public opinion. While he continued to profess a belief that marriage is defined as being between a man and a woman, he suggested that the party (and he himself) could accept a distinction between a “marriage in a church from a legal document issued by the state” — the latter being acceptable.

“I think that this will be much more difficult than immigration for conservatism to come to grips with,” he said, noting that the debate’s dynamics had changed after state referenda began resulting in the legalization of same-sex marriage. “It is in every family. It is in every community. The momentum is clearly now in the direction in finding some way to … accommodate and deal with reality. And the reality is going to be that in a number of American states — and it will be more after 2014 — gay relationships will be legal, period.”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Newt is prone to grandiosity on a scale that few other than Obama have reached. Other than Obama, how many politicians have you ever seen compare themselves to Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Dwight David Eisenhower, Nelson Rockefeller, Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, Henry Clay, Charles de Gaulle, Abraham Lincoln, the Duke of Wellington, Marion Barry, Ho Chi Minh, William Wallace, Moses, Pericles, a Viking (and not the Minnesota kind either), Thomas Edison, the Wright Brothers, Vince Lombardi, Sam Walton, Ray Kroc, and those are just a few of names of people that join Newt in his Lamed Vav Hall of Fame, which aren’t just 36 special people in the world at one time, but the top special people in the history of world civilisation
Resist We Much on December 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM

That right there is some funny stuff, Comrade! :)

JPeterman on December 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Newt Gingrich would likely have lost one of the few groups Mr. Romney won: Married women. Still, he would have been fun!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

every Republican who stayed home lost it instead of voteing for Mitt.

ChunkyLover on December 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

You sound like a Democrat, blaming everyone for something bad happening, other than the guy whose job it is to prevent it from happening.

besser tot als rot on December 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

besser tot als rot on December 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Romney was a candidate not a king,

ChunkyLover on December 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Then it follows that he should have done better than Romney. He didn’t.

Ronnie on December 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Newt had too much baggage. Probably would have still lost.

Romney did better in the debates than I had expected. But Newt would have done better (and probably wouldn’t have held back anything either… unlike Romney in the last 2 debates). I always said, if you knew from the start that any Republican candidate that you put against Obama would lose, you would have to choose Newt, because come debate time, you knew that you were in for some great prime-time television! It’s clobberin’ time!!!

Glenn Jericho on December 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

every Republican who stayed home lost it instead of voteing for Mitt.

ChunkyLover on December 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

You realize, of course, the other way to view this. If Mitt Romney had inspired every Republican to turn out…

This was the man who was supposed to win over independents in droves and turn out “Romney democrats.” He couldn’t even corner the market on Romney Republicans.

rrpjr on December 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM

While Romney threw some haymakers during the debates, Newt would have kneed Obama in the nards following up with an elbow to the back of Obama’s neck as he fell to the ground then strutted off doing the Aaron Roger’s championship belt dance…

hillsoftx on December 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I’m pretty sure Newt could sell more cars than Obama.

DDay on December 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Glenn Jericho on December 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Really?
Didn’t Newt have enough debating in the Primaries to show his stuff?
He would have been clobbered by Obama. Romney destroyed Ocommie in debate 1 (Chrissy acknowledges) and because he didn’t repeat the azz-kicking in the Liberal controlled debate format for the last 2 does not mean he lost them either.

Romney clearly showed America who was the better candidate. Unfortunately he was up against Katy Perry, Beyonce, JZ and Samuel L. as well.

Prezzie Elections are a prom King/queen popularity contest from here on out. Qualifications are not required.

FlaMurph on December 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM

rrpjr on December 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Well said.

DDay on December 20, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Sorry to have to say this Newt – but I doubt it.

dentarthurdent on December 20, 2012 at 5:03 PM

ChunkyLover on December 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

rrpjr on December 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM

you do realized I am just talking about Republicans. Obama was Mitts greatest argument for voting for him. the fact that a percentage of Republicans stayed him rather than vote for Mitt means they are more confortable with Obama in office than Mitt.
Dont give me that bull about inspire, the Obama presidentcy is inspiration enough.

ChunkyLover on December 20, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Then it follows that he should have done better than Romney. He didn’t.

Ronnie on December 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Thread winner.

JannyMae on December 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM

every Republican who stayed home lost it instead of voteing for Mitt.

ChunkyLover on December 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Every Republican who stayed home saw no reason to boot Oputin out of the WH. They were OK with 4 more years of “Let me be clear”
Call it Stockholm syndrome if need be, whatever.

You can’t accept this- but that’s the way it is.

FlaMurph on December 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM

ChunkyLover on December 20, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Well said — exactly why Romney lost. I’d say he showed the same clumsy disdain for inspiration, but I think it was simply that he was afraid. Fortune favors the bold. Romney was its antithesis.

Did Reagan depend on the reverse “inspiration” of the dreadful Carter? No, he understood that unseating an incumbent requires boldness, conviction and inspiration. It requires big ideas and proactive communication. Romney lacked all of this. A more pathetic campaign has never been run at a more critical time in American history. If REPUBLICANS didn’t show up in sufficient numbers, that’s even more testimony to the insipidness of Mitt Romney. Looking back, it feels like a bad dream. Did we even run a candidate? That’s how much of a non-entity this loser was.

rrpjr on December 20, 2012 at 5:40 PM

rrpjr on December 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM

As brilliant as he is Mitt couldn’t fix stupid.

Basilsbest on December 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

FlaMurph on December 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM

…if that’s so, then definitely Newt could have outperformed Mitt. He’s far more entertaining.

alwaysfiredup on December 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM

“Callista and I” would have imploded during the campaign and would have lost worse than Romney, but it would have been fun to watch.

He was anything but a conservative from the time he resigned from the House until he decided to run for President. His moon colony and “draft boards for illegals” were truly bizarre.

bw222 on December 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM

FlaMurph on December 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Candy Crowley actually won the second debate – for Obama.

bw222 on December 20, 2012 at 7:18 PM

So delusional. I never in a million years would vote for Newt. I about puked when Huckabee of all people had Calista on his show talking about the great “values” in her new book for kids? What? Like how to sleep with a married man in his wife’s bed? I’m sorry, he might be refined, forgiven, whatever, but there are consequences and not a man I will ever hold up to my kids to admire. At least Mitt was accomplished in the private sector and squeaky clean.

rose-of-sharon on December 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Oh, dry up, Newt.

Pork-Chop on December 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Newt would have done better if for no other reason than he would have fought Obama and the media through the finish line. Romney won the first debate and went into a prevent defense which allowed Obama to slowly gain momentum, come back, and put a nail in the election with the Hurrican Sandy “perfomance”.

Newt would never have stopped attacking and allowed Obama to get his mojo back, once he walloped him in debate one. If you think Romney did well in that first debate, just imagine how Newt would have embarrassed Obama.

I know Newt isnt a true conservative and i have my problems with him, but Romney lost the election because he was taylor made for Obama.

Romney is a super rich, openly moderate, “nice” guy, who could not attack Obamacare. If i was Obama, i would have been celebrating the day Mitt clinched the nomination.

You think Newt would have had 3 million Republicans that voted 2008, sit out. I just dont think so. No matter his governing tendencies, he knows how to talk like a conservative and excite the troops.

I voted for Newt in my primary and saw him as our best shot to beat the empty suit in the White House. The President, like a boxer who is the Champion, has to be beaten….if you let it go to the judges with the decision in doubt, the Champ gets the benefit of the doubt and retains the title. Thats what happened in the 2012 Presidential election.

Newt may have self destructed and lost horribly, of course, but he would have put forth a strategy to defeat Obama, not out last him in a bad economy.

Sorry about my ranting, i just hated Romney as the nominee. Obamacare was the issue to rally the nation and we left it on the table because our candidate helped create it. That was a giant flashing “NO” in the primaries….sorry Ann Coulter, you were wrong from day one and many of us told you so….

We could have won and now the country may not be savable…at least in my lifetime.

I cant help but think, what if Newt had got the nomination….sorry.

alecj on December 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

One last thing….you think Newt would have let Candy Crowley save Obama in debate 2? He would have destroyed her for getting involved and getting it wrong. That was the beginning of the end for Romney’s candidacy and it would have never happened to Newt.

I think many people who say that wouldnt have voted for Newt are either lying to themselves or sat out anyway. If you think Newt is worse than McCain youre just being silly.

Plus millions of Republicans sat out in 2012, you think some of them might have shown up if Romney wasnt the nominee….i know some would have….

alecj on December 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

As brilliant as he is Mitt couldn’t fix stupid.

Basilsbest on December 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Yes, brilliant. Clearly too brilliant for us. We didn’t deserve such brilliance. So brilliant that he ran for President for eight years spending nearly a billion dollars and couldn’t even convince his putative base to vote for him — against the worst-performing President in American history.

I wonder if we’ll ever hear a mea culpa from a Romney supporter? No, I don’t think so. It’s always the limitations of others.

It’s not simply that Romney sucked. In the most crucial election of our time, with four years of livid proof of Obama’s anti-American rapacity and malice and incompetence, and the media’s gross treachery, Romney couldn’t say “boo.” He failed his country like nobody’s business. The RINO sh*t the bed.

rrpjr on December 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM

That right there is some funny stuff, Comrade! :)

JPeterman on December 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

The Ego has landed…

“You have to understand that I am a think tank, I can save the West, and when I come up with a new idea, we need to move on it immediately.”

– Newt Gingrich

“I have enormous personal ambition. I want to shift the entire planet. And I’m doing it. I am now a famous person. I represent real power.”

- Newt Gingrich

“I’m unavoidable. I represent real power.”

- Newt Gingrich, 1985

“It’s not altruism! It’s not altruism! I have an enormous personal ambition. I want to shift the entire planet. And I’m doing it. Oh, this is just the beginning of a 20-or-30-year movement. I’ll get credit for it. As a historian, I understand how histories are written. My enemies will write histories that dismiss me and prove I was unimportant. My friends will write histories that glorify me and prove I was more important than I was. And two generations or three from now, some serious, sober historian will write a history that sort of implies I was whoever I was.”

- Newt Gingrich, Washington Post, 1985

“I think you can write a psychological profile of me that says I found a way to immerse my insecurities in a cause large enough to justify whatever I wanted it to.”

- Newt Gingrich, Vanity Fair, September 1995

“If you’re not in the Washington Post everyday, you might as well not exist.”

- Newt Gingrich, 1989

“[I'm] the most serious, systematic revolutionary of modern times.”

- Newt Gingrich

Resist We Much on December 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM

That right there is some funny stuff, Comrade! :)

JPeterman on December 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

The Ego has landed…

– Newt Gingrich

- Newt Gingrich

“I’m unavoidable. I represent real power.”

- Newt Gingrich, 1985

- Newt Gingrich, Washington Post, 1985

Resist We Much on December 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

- Newt Gingrich, Vanity Fair, September 1995

“If you’re not in the Washington Post everyday, you might as well not exist.”

- Newt Gingrich, 1989

“[I'm] the most serious, systematic revolutionary of modern times.”

- Newt Gingrich

Resist We Much on December 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

- Newt Gingrich, Vanity Fair, September 1995

“If you’re not in the Washington Post everyday, you might as well not exist.”

- Newt Gingrich, 1989

“[I'm] the most serious, systematic revoluti0nary of modern times.”

- Newt Gingrich

Resist We Much on December 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Romney wasn’t my first choice, no one really was I guess, the whole field sucked, but I did get excited about him and voted for him and was actually optimistic about his presidency. Who knows if I would have come around if Newt got nominated, I would have been incredibly disappointed he got the nomination. We really didn’t have any good choices this year. Perry was perhaps the best match for me, but another Texas governor would have had issues of his own even if he hadn’t have had so many gaffes and trip ups. Please, GOP, give us better choices next time. If it’s Jeb versus Christie with Santorum as the fake conservative alternative I will scream.

rose-of-sharon on December 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM

alecj on December 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

The thing is, the there would have been an equal number of people if not more not showing up for Gingrich for other reasons. And I would have been equally as disappointed in them and angry at them for failing to defeat Obama. Either way, fair-weather voters failed at their duty.

thebrokenrattle on December 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I agree that Newt would have fought back more than Romney did, but the man has so many flaws. The primary reason I didn’t support Newt was his support of manesty.

But, as bad as the Romnay campaign team was, Newt’s was even less organized. While Ann Romney was a plus; Callista would have been a major negative. And, somewhere along the way Newt would have imploded.

bw222 on December 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM

bw222 on December 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Your post is full of IFs, when a good number of us foresaw what will happen with Romney who should have run in a Dem primary where he belongs. Liberals belong in democratic elections, not GOP.

Calista or not, Newt would not let liberals dictate a number of things and certainly would put LSM in its place, time after time.

riddick on December 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Slow Clap Begin!

preallocated on December 21, 2012 at 12:11 AM

So the man who couldn’t beat Mitt Romney in a Republican primary election cycle believes that he could have beaten Barack Obama, who defeated Mitt Romney, in a general election? I’m not certain, but I’m pretty sure there’s one of those “if A=B and B=C” mathematical properties that says it’s unlikely.

Shump on December 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Your math doesn’t add up. Romney is only good at attacking, demonizing and smearing Republicans (which is how he won the primary). Against Dems he’s a big fluffy teddy bear.

29Victor on December 21, 2012 at 3:47 AM

FlaMurph on December 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Romney won the first debate because Obama didn’t show up. After that it was no contest — and Romney flat refused to attack Obama where he was weak and had a crappy organization telling him what to do.

And, yes, of course “Romney was the better candidate” except of course that he lost (excuse, excuse, excuse). I can’t believe the delusion of some people here.

Romney was awesome A #1 candidate! But all those mean Democrats kept America from seeing how good he was at beating them!

29Victor on December 21, 2012 at 3:56 AM

riddick on December 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

This. A number of us here predicted exactly what would happen if we ran Romney and were called “bigots, idiots, RINOs” etc for our troubles. Then what we predicted *gasp* actually happened! And yet the Rombots are still on the attack.

I always figured that after the Greeks started pouring out that big horse some of the Trojans might have second guessed not listening to Cassandra. Maybe not.

29Victor on December 21, 2012 at 4:02 AM

rrpjr on December 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM

This! Had I read this first I wouldn’t have felt the need to post anything. If we had sigs here this would be my new sig.

29Victor on December 21, 2012 at 4:04 AM

29Victor on December 21, 2012 at 4:02 AM

If doubling down on extremism worked, Boehner is a smart man and would have tried it in the Fiscal Cliff negotiation. It doesn’t work. It is delusional to believe that if we had only nominated Jim DeMint we would have the election. In fact, DeMint would have lost North Carolina and probably a few other states that Romney won. Montana and Alaska would have been candidates for the Obama column.

thuja on December 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM

FWIW, I voted for Newt in the Massachussetts primary, though by then it was clear he was done. Mitt is a nice guy, a smart guy, an accomplished guy, but boring as dry toast. Newt would have kept things hoppin’; the end result would have been unpredictable, but Newt would not have let Axelrod get away with months of unanswered negative advertising. Oh well. We’re stuck with George Soros, Valerie Jarrett, and their Puppet President. God help us.

MrLynn on December 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I’m a contrarian on this, I actually think Newt would have done worse than Romney in the debates with Obama. Newt may have won the first one, as did Romney, but lost the next two badly as Obama prepared and rebounded.

Remember, Newt got clocked by Romney in a couple debates. Not so much on points, but style, preparation, feigning offense, etc (“How dare you say I’m anti-immigrant, my dad was born in Mexico, my wife’s parents are from Wales” or something like that). That sort of thing is Obama’s bread and butter (“I’m so offended that you would suggest my administration lied about Benghazi”). Fair or not, Obama is able to use it to great effect, and it would have been quite effective against Newt.

As to would have Newt done better than Romney at the polls…who knows. Like AP, I’m dubious.

BocaJuniors on December 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM