Green Room

Video: The eagles are coming for our babies

posted at 8:30 am on December 19, 2012 by

1.2 million YouTube views and counting since yesterday, when it was uploaded.

C’mon. This isn’t real, is it?

Update: Nope, almost certainly not real.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Sure it could be fake but we’re talking big predatory bird, not the migration of an african swallow. I mean seriously mother nature tends to play rough.

onomo on December 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Daaaaaayum. Most people with zoo issues won’t go into the herpetarium because of the snakes. This poor kid will never ever again go into the aviary…….

You gotta give it to the eagle for dreaming big. And you have to wonder how pissed he was gonna be when he found out most of that bulk was polyester and nylon?

GWB on December 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I don’t find it funny to see a little kid get dropped from anywhere.

And what the hell was with the music at the end?

mrsknightley on December 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM

If fake, pretty sophisticated editing of shadows–which seemed real to me.

G. Charles on December 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM

“Look mommy I can fly”

aebloo on December 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Golden eagles eat lambs–both domestic ones and offspring of our native bighorn sheep. So it’s certainly within their weight hauling capacity to snatch a human infant.

radjah shelduck on December 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Golden eagles eat lambs…

Yeah, I don’t find it surprising at all that this could have happened, but it’s somewhat hard to believe that Dad was filming a soaring eagle that happened to do this to his son. Nevertheless, my guess is that it is real; while the clip could be fake, the effort required to make it would have been even more far-fetched than what was shown.

G. Charles on December 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Of course, this means we should immediately ban eagles.
/The Left

Bitter Clinger on December 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM

While hunting I once watched a golden eagle make three dives at a blacktail fawn. The doe was smart enough to get the fawn under an oak tree.

antipc on December 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM

After I wrote my comment, I figured I should do a bit of research to verify I wasn’t spreading any misinformation. I looked up the American Society of Mammalogists account on bighorn sheep, located here:

It says that isolated predation on bighorn sheep by eagles has been reported (p.4). Also on page 4 it says that bighorn lambs at birth weigh between 2.8 and 5.5 kilograms (from a bit over 6 pounds to slightly over 12 pounds). I see on another website that’s about the weight range of human infants at one month. So yes, if a golden eagle can take a lamb it can take a baby.

I’d guess, however, the eagle thought the kid was not a lamb, but a very chubby marmot.

radjah shelduck on December 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Or just one of Peter Jackson’s early screen tests for the scene when the eagles rescue Bilbo and the dwarves from the trees that the orcs have them trapped in.

acasilaco on December 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM

He’s flying through your golf course, snatching your people up. Trying to eat them, so you need to hide your kids, hide your wife, hide your husband too, ’cause they’re eating everyone out there…

Sekhmet on December 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

We need to put eagle nets over every park in America. Even one more talon-maiming is too big of a price to pay when our kids are on the line! We need to have this debate!

Axeman on December 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM

A great big horned owl tried to pick up our neighbors shitzu one night. It dropped him at the bottom of the yard, and the poor doggie had talon punctures along it sides. It lived, but major vet bills.

Allahs vulva on December 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Not to worry. The enviro-douches are killing off the Eagles with their wind turbines.

RadClown on December 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Wait till Planned Parenthood hears about this.

The “No-Fault Post-Birth Abortion by Raptor”

Just dress your little punishment in a rabbit suit and head to the forest.

BobMbx on December 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Allahs vulva on December 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Right after we moved to Central Virginia, we were in the backyard watching a couple of hawks circling overhead. Oooh! Nature! I thought they were riding a thermal but they kept getting lower and lower….then I realized why….they were scoping out my wife’s 5 lb chihuahua. For the next 7 years, she never let her dog out alone.

BobMbx on December 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Video: The eagles are coming for our babies

Save the babies! Build more windmills!

Rocks on December 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Of course, this means we should immediately ban eagles babies.
/The Left

Bitter Clinger on December 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM

FIFY

Shy Guy on December 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Eagle control now!!!1! This debate is effing over!!!1

Kensington on December 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM

When we lived in Texas, we had a backyard pool with one of those pool cleaning gizmos that randomly crawls around vacuuming up the debris. I called it “the critter.” It was kinda like this.

One day, I saw a large hawk swoop down and try to grab it as it crawled up one of the sides of the pool. The hawk was able to lift “the critter” about four feet into the air before dropping it back into the water. That was awesome to witness.

That said, this video is unfortunately/fortunately(?) fake.

Fallon on December 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I’m sure Obama will come up with a Comprehensive Plan to eliminate all eagles and a tax increase to pay for the re-education of all birds to teach them not to attack people. He’ll implement a bird stimulus as well since obviously the Eagles have fallen on hard times in this economy and will eat anything.

xdwall on December 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Fake, but entertainingly so. He shouldn’t have had such a steady shot on the eagle the whole time.

Also, the kid should have had on a bunny ear hat.

TexasDan on December 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Plus, not a golden eagle. Per some guy on the internet who knows.

TexasDan on December 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM