Re: Time’s POTY
posted at 9:20 am on December 19, 2012 by Ed Morrissey
Actually, I have no problem with this, for a couple of reasons. First, presidents who win second terms are usually high up on the list for POTY candidates anyway. Second, it looks like a pretty thin year; the runners-up would be difficult to select in a police line-up. Malala Yousefzai, Tim Cook, and Fabiola Gianotti are hardly household names, after all.
Finally, for me anyway, the POTY has been a who-cares event ever since I won it in 2006, along with you and everyone else. And hey, remember when whistleblowers were cool in 2002? Did Time ever honor the whistleblowers on Fast & Furious? Er … like a said, a non-event.
Addendum: The attempted assassination of Yousefzai was certainly an important story, if one is interested in what happens to women if the Taliban take over Afghanistan again. I’m not impressed with the US media’s interest in that story, though, and that includes Time despite their inclusion of Yousefzai on this list.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 4:1-11
- Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained