Green Room

Re: Time’s POTY

posted at 9:20 am on December 19, 2012 by

Actually, I have no problem with this, for a couple of reasons.  First, presidents who win second terms are usually high up on the list for POTY candidates anyway.  Second, it looks like a pretty thin year; the runners-up would be difficult to select in a police line-up.  Malala Yousefzai, Tim Cook, and Fabiola Gianotti are hardly household names, after all.

Finally, for me anyway, the POTY has been a who-cares event ever since I won it in 2006, along with you and everyone else.  And hey, remember when whistleblowers were cool in 2002?  Did Time ever honor the whistleblowers on Fast & Furious?  Er … like a said, a non-event.

Addendum: The attempted assassination of Yousefzai was certainly an important story, if one is interested in what happens to women if the Taliban take over Afghanistan again.  I’m not impressed with the US media’s interest in that story, though, and that includes Time despite their inclusion of Yousefzai on this list.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

The fact that Morsi was a runner-up tells you how weak the field was. And as I said in the other thread, I don’t mind that they named Obama POTY. It’s actually pretty standard for Time. But I abhor the rewriting of history that the media is engaging in. Obama ran one of the most negative, dishonest, and frankly small-minded campaigns I’ve ever seen. He won and he deserves credit for that. But the idea that he’s presiding over some sort of transformation of America is laughable. He’s spending us into bankruptcy while pitting one group of people against another. There’s nothing inspirational about that.

Doughboy on December 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Time? LMFAO May they all spend an eternity in hell.

tom daschle concerned on December 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Good point Ed

cmsinaz on December 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Considering Adolf Hitler once was bestowed this “honor”, it’s should be regarded as a who-cares event ever since then.

Bitter Clinger on December 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Darn. I was rooting for Sandra Fluke.

exliberal on December 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

At least it wasn’t Sandra Fluke. I do think Malala is probably a better and more interesting story especially if we’re talking long term about the war within Islam.

Illinidiva on December 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Meh, who cares. Although POTY is an apt acronym since Time Magazine and their “Person of the Year” is as important to me as the turd I dropped in the “POTY” this morning.

Meaningless tripe from a meaningless magazine.

Liberty or Death on December 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I would give the award to Yousefzai.

22044 on December 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I also heard Morsi was a runner-up. No surprise, Time Mag loves them some dictators.

Phil-351 on December 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Time’s POTY is a POS.

UltimateBob on December 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM

It’s better than PSY.

Axeman on December 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM

POSOTY

The Rogue Tomato on December 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Actually, I heard Obama asked Time to consider Hugo Chavez because his governing style has been an inspiration to the President and he thought Hugo might not be around for consideration in 2013.

DaveDief on December 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Ed, if it was going to be a US politician, why not Scott Walker? Obama is the 15th president to win reelection,but Walker was the first US governor to win a recall, and he did that despite a well organized effort to turn him out of office.

radjah shelduck on December 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM

He looks so….old.

thebrokenrattle on December 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Affirmative action wins again!

Write Wing on December 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM

So another worthless piece of leftwing crap is named Times POTY…

TexasJew on December 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM

You know, I don’t understand why we conservatives get so riled up over this every year. “Person of the Year” is not meant to recognize someone who has been a positive force. It’s not meant to say that they’re on some high pedestal. It’s the person or persons who had the most impact, for good or for bad, in the past year. Hence the selection of Hitler back in 1938 who, though evil, certainly made a major impact.

The selection of Obama makes sense to me. He WAS re-elected president, after all. His healthcare plan was upheld by SCOTUS. And he’s getting the Republicans to bend over and grab the ankles on the fiscal cliff negotiations. Regardless of whether you think his policies are productive or disastrous (I think the latter), there’s no denying he’s made a major impact in the past 12 months.

Shump on December 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Shump on December 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Yes, but he didn’t build that POTY honor. Someone else mad that happen.

Bitter Clinger on December 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM

*mad = made

Bitter Clinger on December 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

thebrokenrattle on December 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM

And sinister.

manyears on December 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Time still looking for a Print Media Bailout perhaps ?

FlaMurph on December 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Shump on December 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I think you probably have a very valid point. In writing what you did I am wondering whether it is possible to find archived the article in Time written about Hitler when he received this accolade in 1938. It would be interesting to see what Time had to say about him particularly in regard to what was known after the War about his “accomplishments”.

DaveDief on December 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM

POTTY

Shy Guy on December 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Expected. The last President to have more terms than POTYs (even including partial terms, but excluding the unelected but POTY-deserving Ford), was Ike. Time’s got a national focus — not international — and it’s frightened to have a Hitler-type as the POTY, even though it’s a measure of importance, not goodness.

calbear on December 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I think the Person of the Year designation ceased to be of any import when Time caved and did not name bin Laden in 2011. The magazine claims it’s the person who impacted events the most,whether ill or good. It’s not supposed to be a popularity contest.

lizzieillinois on December 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM