Re: Hagel no longer on top of Obama’s SecDef list?
posted at 2:25 pm on December 19, 2012 by Erika Johnsen
As Ed already pointed out this morning, the probable trial balloon of a possible Chuck Hagel nomination to replace Leon Panetta at the Pentagon hasn’t been going over too well. The WFB reports on signs that President Obama might indeed be ready to just back off from the whole thing and instead push for the first lady secretary of Defense:
Former Republican Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel may no longer be President Obama’s favored pick to run the Defense Department, sources told the Free Beacon. …
Sources on Capitol Hill told the Free Beacon that opposition to Hagel reaches all the way to the Embassy of Israel, which is said to have quietly expressed concern about the former senator. …
Michele Flournoy, a former undersecretary of defense for policy, is currently viewed as the frontrunner for the post.
“She will be the likely candidate as there has been criticism from liberals for possibly replacing a female secretary of state with a male, and [Flournoy would be] the first woman secretary of defense,” said one senior Senate aide with knowledge of the process.
Recently in the Green Room:
- IRS To Pro-Life Groups: You Know You’re Gonna Have To Give Up This Whole Protest Thing, Right?
- Two House Dems demand Lerner resignation after using lobbyist to stage modified limited hangout
- Feelgood video of the day
- New liberal idea: Let’s raise $660 million online in a month to buy the LA Times before the Koch brothers can
- Of Course It Troubles Me. Are You Kidding Me?