Green Room

Frank Pastore, RIP

posted at 8:04 pm on December 17, 2012 by

Words cannot express the sadness that has cascaded since learning the news of my very good friend and fellow broadcaster, Frank Pastore, passing earlier today after complications of pneumonia. I have had the privilege of knowing Frank on both a professional and personal level for about 17 years, and just knowing that he’s not going to be around with that infectious laugh and boyish enthusiasm makes the world just a bit emptier.

That said, there are few things about which I’m pretty confident. It’s a smaller list, but there are some things of which I am very certain. But there is one thing I know for a fact, and that is that Frank Pastore is in a much better place, and Heaven’s collection of power hitters are overjoyed at Frank’s arrival, because batting practice fastballs are now traveling across eternity.

Prayers to Gina, his wonderful wife and their family, that God’s grace will get them through the difficulty of this at this time of year. And I hope they do appreciate the impact Frank had on people not just around Los Angeles on radio, but all over the world.

If you want to get a glimpse of the kind of character Frank was, I encourage you to pick up his autobiography, Shattered.

Rest in peace, Meat.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Prayers to Gina, his wonderful wife and their family, that God’s grace will get them through the difficulty of this at this time of year.

Yes, amen.

Our loss is Heaven’s gain.
See ya later, Frank.

itsnotaboutme on December 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Awful. I have an autographed picture of him I got when I was a kid. I was a huge Reds fan during the time he played.

Mark1971 on December 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Yes really sad. I too am a Reds fan who remembers cheering for him.

His death was the result of complications from an injury due to a vehicle accident:

Pastore was seriously injured on the Foothill (210) Freeway, east of Buena Vista Street, in Duarte, California, at 7:33 PM (PT) on 19 November 2012 when a 56-year-old woman from Glendora, California, driving a grey Hyundai Sonata in the second lane eastbound, inexplicably collided with Pastore’s Honda Shadow motorcycle that he was riding in the carpool lane, throwing him off the motorcycle. He suffered serious head injuries and was hospitalized in critical condition at USC Medical Center. Pastore was transferred to a hospital in Upland, California[citation needed]. On 17 December 2012, KKLA reported on their website that Pastore passed away- WIKI

CW on December 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM

This is sad news. Sorry for your loss, Duane.

Just ordered the book….going fast..only 8 left on Amazon. It sounds like it will be an encouraging read.

balkanmom on December 17, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Mark1971 on December 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I always have been and always will be a huge Reds fan. He was a very good pitcher back in the dark days for my team (early 80’s). A good man, he will be missed.

wildcat72 on December 17, 2012 at 10:20 PM

My sincere condolences.

bmmg39 on December 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Safe home, Frank Pastore.

juanito on December 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Safe home, Frank Pastore.

juanito on December 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Clever!
May Frank’s writings guide others home as well.

itsnotaboutme on December 18, 2012 at 8:02 AM

An excerpt from Dennis Prager’s tribute:

Pastore…was a deep thinker with an agile mind. When challenged by his Christian teammates to investigate the claims of Christianity, he took them on. In his words, “he followed the evidence” and, to his initial surprise, the evidence led him right to Jesus Christ to whom he dedicated his life.

He became a student of Christian apologetics and eventually earned his Ph.D. He could discuss baseball managers and hermeneutics with equal facility. His talk show on KKLA in Los Angeles became the most popular show of its kind in the country. He described the show as “the intersection of faith and reason.” It was perfectly apt.

Frank was big, ebullient, and brilliant. You can see this in the two courses he did for Prager University — “The Four Big Bangs” and “Do You Have Free Will?” I’m grateful they exist. They are a witness to the man he was.

He was a great fighter for the Judeo-Christian values we hold dear. He was just coming into his prime as a spokesman for those values. One despairs to think of the things he had still had to accomplish.

The world is smaller without Frank Pastore in it. And I am personally broken hearted.

Good-bye, dear friend. May the God you so fervently and articulately defended guide you on your new journey.

itsnotaboutme on December 18, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Pneumonia, more like complications from being sideswiped while on a motorcycle by some ditz who was texting at the time.

Bishop on December 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM

It’s an especially sad time to lose a beloved, my heartfelt sympathy goes to the Pastore family.

Bob's Kid on December 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I didn’t know who this gentleman was, but he sounds like he was awesome. Did he really remark on the exact cause of his death on his show earlier in the day or is that Hollywood b.s.? Regardless, he looks to be someone I am sorry I didn’t ever know.

Cindy Munford on December 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Duane did a great tribute to Frank yesterday on the Hughniverse Aftershow: http://tribblenews.com/2012/12/tribute-to-frank-pastore/ Check it out.

ConservativeLA on December 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Top Pick

Going for the record

Top Pick

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM