Green Room

ESPN Analyst Wonders Whether RGIII is Authentically Black; Cites Republican Rumors, White Fiancé

posted at 5:56 pm on December 13, 2012 by

Eighty-seven seconds of ignorant racial McCarthyism, courtesy of ESPN talking head Rob Parker:

Here’s WaPo‘s summary of this clip, which is going mega-viral:

“This is an interesting topic,” Parker said. “For me, personally, just me, this throws up a red flag, what I keep hearing. And I don’t know who’s asking the questions, but we’ve heard a couple of times now of a black guy kind of distancing himself away from black people. I understand the whole story of I just want to be the best,” Parker continued. “Nobody’s out on the field saying to themselves, I want to be the best black quarterback. You’re just playing football, right? You want to be the best, you want to throw the most touchdowns and have the most yards and win the most games. Nobody is [thinking] that. But time and time we keep hearing this, so it just makes me wonder deeper about him,” Parker went on. “And I’ve talked to some people down in Washington D.C., friends of mine, who are around and at some of the press conferences, people I’ve known for a long time. But my question, which is just a straight honest question. Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother?”

What does that mean, Parker was asked. “Well, [that] he’s black, he kind of does his thing, but he’s not really down with the cause, he’s not one of us,” Parker explained. “He’s kind of black, but he’s not really the guy you’d really want to hang out with, because he’s off to do something else.” Why is that your question, Parker was asked. “Well, because I want to find out about him,” Parker said. “I don’t know, because I keep hearing these things. We all know he has a white fiancée. There was all this talk about he’s a Republican, which, there’s no information [about that] at all. I’m just trying to dig deeper as to why he has an issue. Because we did find out with Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods was like I’ve got black skin but don’t call me black. So people got to wondering about Tiger Woods early on.”  Then Skip Bayless asked Parker about RGIII’s braids. “Now that’s different,” Parker said. “To me, that’s very urban and makes you feel like…wearing braids, you’re a brother. You’re a brother if you’ve got braids on.”

On one hand, the Redskins’ star quarterback downplays his skin color in interviews, has a white fiancee, and has been dogged by whispers that he might be (gasp) a Republican.  On the other hand, he has “urban” braids.  So there’s that.  I think the most disgusting element of this screed is Parker’s burning interest in “finding out” more about the rookie’s views, as if there’s some perverted “down-with-the-cause” racial purity test that Griffin has yet to pass.  Parker hastens to mention that the Republican rumors are unfounded…for now.  He might as well have added, “not that there’s anything wrong with that.”   Although I suppose that would involve paying lip service to the notion that conservative political beliefs do not automatically make someone evil — a nod to tolerance of which Parker seems incapable.  Also note the clip’s fascinating conclusion, wherein Stephen A. Smith (!) steps in as the voice of reason on a sports controversy involving race.

Exit Questions (Allahpundit™): Rush Limbaugh was forced out by ESPN after he offered provocative race-related commentary about Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb in 2003.  (1) Will the network sever ties with Parker?  (2) Should they? (3) What the hell is a “cornball brother”?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Is the President black enough for him? Obama’s mother was whiter than Newt Gingrich’s butt.

radjah shelduck on December 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I have never known Rob Parker to say anything intelligent. This streak of his remains unbroken.

XWing5 on December 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM

“…but he’s not really down with the cause, he’s not one of us,” Parker explained.

That right there should be the most damnig part of the whole thing. Wonder why blacks vote monolithically? There it is right there. You have to be “down with the cause” in order to actually be “black” in the eyes of some, which means signing on to the collective group-think in all of it’s permutations. If you don’t, then you “aren’t really black”.

And Biden says it’s the GOP who wants to “put ya’ll back in chains”… what a load of crap.

gravityman on December 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM

“Down for the cause” is slavish devotion to White democrat rule?

tom daschle concerned on December 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Unbelievable.

nicktjacob on December 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM

If a Republican had said this…..

gophergirl on December 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Hoo boy, “The Cause” is a dog-whistle if ever there was one!

KS Rex on December 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM

“Parker hastens to mention that the Republican rumors are unfounded…for now. He might as well have added, “not that there’s anything wrong with that.” Although I suppose that would involve paying lip service to the notion that conservative political beliefs do not automatically make someone evil…”

…or even a Republican.

As we’ve seen, lots of Republicans don’t have conservative political beliefs.

Resist We Much on December 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM

“Get back on the plantation!!!”

Man that is unbelievable. Here we were for the last 5 years getting so many great stories about RGIII from the Texas press. He wears Superman socks, he loves his family, he tries to get better every day. Everybody down here is crazy about the guy because he comes across as a very grounded young man. Last week we was being praised for bringing DC together.

Gotta love that east coast cabal of hyenas with keyboards and microphones.

DanMan on December 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Wow. Leftists are outright racists pukes.

CW on December 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Does that make Obama President Cornball?

right of the dial on December 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM

did I just hear a dog whistle? white women and conservative values, nothing destroys street cred faster…

burserker on December 13, 2012 at 6:29 PM

The most important thing about this is that wearing braids trumps all else.

The Reasonable Man on December 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM

What has any of this got to do with him being a good quarterback? As a long time fan, I am actually more tickled about Alfred Morris but we have been waiting for an RGIII for a long time.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM

How can one integrate those who do not wish to be integrated?

OldEnglish on December 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM

There couldn’t be enough whining to get this guy the same outcome as Rush.

Cindy Munford on December 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Just another powerful reminder that there is a generation of black people who are this stupid and shamelessly racist because of the racism of white liberals.

They see absolutely no shame in their black racism — so virulently anti-white that they must despise any black person who isn’t “black enough” by their unwritten, clicks-and-whistles calculations — because this is what they have been hearing from retards like the all-white MSNBC commentators and pretty much every college professor in America.

If by some bizarre miracle, ESPN discovers that racism is bad and fires this twit, he’ll be more surprised than anyone. And he’ll blame the blue-eyed devils who sit behind the scenes at ESPN and “really run things”.

Jaibones on December 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Great lead-in btw!

tom daschle concerned on December 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Obama’s mother was whiter than Newt Gingrich’s butt.

radjah shelduck on December 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM

…please tell me you did not just put that image in my head…

JimLennon on December 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM

ESPN should throw his black ass off TV because he just won`t let racism die, yet the idiots on ESPN continue to make an issue of it because most of them have IQ`s below 60

HAGGS99 on December 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Exit answers:

(1) Of course not. In fact, he’s probably going to get a raise.

(2) Yes, but I don’t expect consistency from SCOAMF’s favorite network.

(3) Judging by the context, an updated term for Uncle Tom.

Steve Eggleston on December 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Maybe MSNBC wants to hire him.

22044 on December 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM

ESPN Analyst Wonders Whether RGIII is Authentically Black; Cites Republican Rumors, White Financee

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is a financee?

Rio Linda Refugee on December 13, 2012 at 6:40 PM

HAGGS99 on December 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM

If anyone doubts the veracity of that last bit, then read the political rantings of your local sports columnist. Most of them are textbook examples of low information voters.

JimLennon on December 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Parker just needs to insist a (D) be added after his name (h/t RB Pundit). That way, every thing he does or says will be automatically excused, no questions asked.

right of the dial on December 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is a financee?

Rio Linda Refugee on December 13, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Someone getting ready to take over the finances?

OldEnglish on December 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Someone getting ready to take over the finances?

OldEnglish on December 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I suggest a pre-nup

Rio Linda Refugee on December 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on December 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Oh, for sure!

OldEnglish on December 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Now imagine that Tim Tebow is dating a young black woman he met back in college, and the rumor has it that he said something nice about an elected Democrat, and a white sports commentator from Alabama points all of this out.

What’s the reaction?

Red Cloud on December 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM

ESPN hates Tebow already. It couldn’t get any worse.

sandspur on December 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM

This is a great story Guy and you are lazy for not including the real gem here which is the full response by the next commentator which was brilliant.

Then Stephen A. Smith was asked for his take. He exhaled deeply.

“Well first of all let me say this: I’m uncomfortable with where we just went,” Smith said. “RGIII, the ethnicity, the color of his fiancée is none of our business. It’s irrelevant. He can live his life any way he chooses. The braids that he has in his hair, that’s his business, that’s his life. I don’t judge someone’s blackness based on those kind of things. I just don’t do that. I’m not that kind of guy.

“What I would say to you is that the comments he made are fairly predictable,” Smith went on. “I think it’s something that he may feel, but it’s also a concerted effort to appease the masses to some degree, which I’m finding relatively irritating, because I don’t believe that the black athlete has any responsibility whatsoever to have to do such things.

“Let me say this clearly. I don’t know of anybody who goes into something trying to be the best black anything. We understand that. That’s a given,” Smith said. “But I do think it’s important to acknowledge a level of pride and a feeling of a level of accomplishment for being somebody who happens to be of African American descent, who competes and achieves and accomplishes things on the highest level while also bringing attention – to some degree anyhow – to the pride that they feel being black. Because they’re allowing themselves to be a reminder to those who preceded them, who worked so hard, accomplished and achieved so much, but were denied the accolades that that individual is receiving.”

lexhamfox on December 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Wonder what Parker thinks about the black Jesus. Michelle had to teach him black slang and dialect when she first met him from what I understand. He hung out with his hippie white friends smoking weed and body surfing. I guess the weed part is black, right Rob? This fool should be fired yesterday but no scared straight suit at ESPN has the stones to do it.

Hummer53 on December 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Wow, a black athlete with a white girlfriend (or wife)–what rock has Parker been hiding under for the past 40 years? That’s become commonplace enough over the decades to barely warrant a mention other than as a mere observation.

And I’d suggest that ESPiN stick to covering sports but they suck the big one at that too–and especially.

stukinIL4now on December 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Where’s lester the molester to defend RGIII? On another thread he tried to compare “gay marriage” to interracial marriage.

Come on professor, tell us your wisdom.

22044 on December 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Unbelievable.

nicktjacob on December 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM

What is unbelievable about it? I hear this kind of thing all the time, in the media and personally. Or maybe you just meant “unbelievable” as a generic interjection.

Fenris on December 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM

lexhamfox on December 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

That was a good response. But substitute “white” for “black” and oh boy! Not that I sit around thinking about being white, but when you read history it is pretty amazing some of the things people (regardless of race) have accomplished under trying circumstances. Western civilization took a long time and effort to build, but it’s going to be pretty easy to destroy.

Fenris on December 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM

If he didn’t braid his hair and was engaged to a white woman but was otherwise known to be a Democrat, these remarks would have never been made. The reason I know this is because I just described Charles Barkley.

The Count on December 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM

From Breitbart:

All of this was in response to RGIII’s comments that “For me, you don’t ever want to be defined by the color of your skin. You want to be defined by your work ethic, the person that you are, your character, your personality. That’s what I’ve tried to go out and do. I am an African-American in America. That will never change. But I don’t have to be defined by that.”

He continued, “”I am aware how much race is relevant to [black Redskins fans]. I don’t ignore it. I try not to be defined by it. But I understand different perspectives and how people view different things. I understand that they’re excited that their quarterback is an African-American. I play with a lot of pride, a lot of character, a lot of heart. I understand that. I appreciate them for being fans and not just fans because they’re African-Americans.”

CW on December 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM

The man is an idiot.

If he has a job tomorrow, ill be surprised.

Amd the story is blowing up for a reason. Its not black people are supporting him.

Hes just an idiot. What he’s saying doesnt even make sense. His braids add black points but his girl subtracts them? I never saw that table in the back of my marble notebook. But then again, it was mixed…

segasagez on December 13, 2012 at 7:45 PM

(1) Will the network sever ties with Parker?

No. Have you watched ESPN lately? They’re the MSNBC of sports.

clearbluesky on December 13, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Here in the white community, I’ve always been suspicious of Dirk Nowitzki. He married a black woman, and he’s German, which means he’s probably a Marxist or Marxist-lite. He is otherwise clean-cut and hasn’t started speaking in German Ebonics, so there’s that. But, I just want to know more about him. You know, make sure he’s white enough.

The Count on December 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Parker’s a d0uchebag…plain and simple. And, I didn’t have to interject ANY racial stereo~types to call him that.

</em

DevilsPrinciple on December 13, 2012 at 8:05 PM

what a joke

The Count on December 13, 2012 at 8:05 PM

RGIII is, by now, used to having third-string, never-was losers trying to pull him down. If it isn’t skin color, or ethnicity, or the old neighborhood, or the time together at war … well, you get the idea. Just because this horse’s behind plays a race card no one need respond in suit. Apparently, Mr. Griffin doesn’t feel the need.

I think that we, instead, should be content with the deeper understanding of the maturity that Griffin brings onto the field.

M240H on December 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Obama doesn’t have braids. Is he a cornball president ?

moc23 on December 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM

That guy is a real idiot.

SoulGlo on December 13, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Spoken like a true Obama N-word, Parker! You will probably get invited to dinner at the White House with the Black Caucus! I just hope ESPN throws your stupid Black ass out on the street where you belong!!!

Jersey Dan on December 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM