Green Room

ESPN Analyst Wonders Whether RGIII is Authentically Black; Cites Republican Rumors, White Fiancé

posted at 5:56 pm on December 13, 2012 by

Eighty-seven seconds of ignorant racial McCarthyism, courtesy of ESPN talking head Rob Parker:

Here’s WaPo‘s summary of this clip, which is going mega-viral:

“This is an interesting topic,” Parker said. “For me, personally, just me, this throws up a red flag, what I keep hearing. And I don’t know who’s asking the questions, but we’ve heard a couple of times now of a black guy kind of distancing himself away from black people. I understand the whole story of I just want to be the best,” Parker continued. “Nobody’s out on the field saying to themselves, I want to be the best black quarterback. You’re just playing football, right? You want to be the best, you want to throw the most touchdowns and have the most yards and win the most games. Nobody is [thinking] that. But time and time we keep hearing this, so it just makes me wonder deeper about him,” Parker went on. “And I’ve talked to some people down in Washington D.C., friends of mine, who are around and at some of the press conferences, people I’ve known for a long time. But my question, which is just a straight honest question. Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother?”

What does that mean, Parker was asked. “Well, [that] he’s black, he kind of does his thing, but he’s not really down with the cause, he’s not one of us,” Parker explained. “He’s kind of black, but he’s not really the guy you’d really want to hang out with, because he’s off to do something else.” Why is that your question, Parker was asked. “Well, because I want to find out about him,” Parker said. “I don’t know, because I keep hearing these things. We all know he has a white fiancée. There was all this talk about he’s a Republican, which, there’s no information [about that] at all. I’m just trying to dig deeper as to why he has an issue. Because we did find out with Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods was like I’ve got black skin but don’t call me black. So people got to wondering about Tiger Woods early on.”  Then Skip Bayless asked Parker about RGIII’s braids. “Now that’s different,” Parker said. “To me, that’s very urban and makes you feel like…wearing braids, you’re a brother. You’re a brother if you’ve got braids on.”

On one hand, the Redskins’ star quarterback downplays his skin color in interviews, has a white fiancee, and has been dogged by whispers that he might be (gasp) a Republican.  On the other hand, he has “urban” braids.  So there’s that.  I think the most disgusting element of this screed is Parker’s burning interest in “finding out” more about the rookie’s views, as if there’s some perverted “down-with-the-cause” racial purity test that Griffin has yet to pass.  Parker hastens to mention that the Republican rumors are unfounded…for now.  He might as well have added, “not that there’s anything wrong with that.”   Although I suppose that would involve paying lip service to the notion that conservative political beliefs do not automatically make someone evil — a nod to tolerance of which Parker seems incapable.  Also note the clip’s fascinating conclusion, wherein Stephen A. Smith (!) steps in as the voice of reason on a sports controversy involving race.

Exit Questions (Allahpundit™): Rush Limbaugh was forced out by ESPN after he offered provocative race-related commentary about Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb in 2003.  (1) Will the network sever ties with Parker?  (2) Should they? (3) What the hell is a “cornball brother”?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How fluking shallow can you get?

EnglishRogue on December 14, 2012 at 3:02 AM

RGIII sez.

soundingboard on December 14, 2012 at 3:34 AM

You’re allowed to be racist, as long as you have dark skin.

itsnotaboutme on December 14, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Since we can predict the weather 100 years from now with precision and certainty, and alter, control, and regulate the climate, this should be no big deal.

Oh, wait…

single stack on December 14, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Braids? braids? You have got to be kidding me. Braids determine your authenticity?
I’m white, have been for over 73 years. And politically conservative. I went through all that 1970′s-80′s fashion stuff. If I could have done with my hair what blacks can do with theirs I would have. And so would a lot of the readers on this forum if they’re honest.
Keeping up with fashion is one thing political bent is another.
ESPN can’t even do a decent job with sports and now they’re political/social experts?

oldernwiser on December 14, 2012 at 7:44 AM

“he’s not really down with the cause, he’s not one of us,” Parker explained.

What cause?

What would MLK think of this shite? Content of character, not color of skin? Yeah? … No.

BuckeyeSam on December 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Parker is a racist pig. Disgusting.

BTW, Susan Rice has a white husband. Does that make her a “cornball sister”?

petefrt on December 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Keep hate alive, brother, because Hosea 8:7.

Knott Buyinit on December 14, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Stephen Smith’s smackdown at the end was worth listening.

mythicknight on December 14, 2012 at 9:08 AM

The whole racism thing in sports and politics is over the top. Stephen A likes to refer to the “Black World” and the “White World”, Kobe Bryant refers to himself sometimes as the “Black Mamba” and then there are the low life politicians in the Govt with the “Black Caucus”. Can you imagine if there was a “White Caucus” in Washington, or some player calling himself the “white Mamaba”. So where is the racism when 98% of the Blacks voted for Obama?? Time to get off the black racist bandwagon led by the media and Black athletes when things don`t go there way

HAGGS99 on December 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM

This is the other reason I don’t watch ESPN. The first being that I don’t watch sports.

DeathtotheSwiss on December 14, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Didn’t Mel Gibson wear braids in Braveheart? Who knew William Wallace was a brother?

CJ on December 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Sort of OT…but Stephen A. Smith is a guest on Mark Levin’s show sometimes. I can’t figure out the connection.

22044 on December 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM

RGIII?……..

And if you watch ESPN, you’re a zombie

michaelthomas on December 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM

He talks about “the cause.”

Would that cause be acting ghetto to stick it in whitey’s face? Playing the role of one of society’s perpetual black victims, held down by ‘da man,’ all to continue on with race-based perks?

This country is so screwed, because this mindset is hardly rare.

LEt me know when there’s a serious movement that’s well-thought out, and ready to seceded.

I’m all in.

moonbat monitor on December 14, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Parker should just wear an armband with a Swastika. Is Parker down with Louis “Hitler was a wicked genius” Farrakhan?

Ward Cleaver on December 14, 2012 at 10:29 AM

And if you watch ESPN, you’re a zombie

michaelthomas on December 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM

This. I love lisenting to the zombies reciting names, stats, and in general having in-depth discussions about topics of earth shattering importance like whether or not the low post offense of blah sqaud will yield a deep run into the playoffs.

levi on December 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM

22044 on December 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I have grown to enjoy much of what Stephan A. Smith says.
The hystronics of his delivery aside, the man has his own opinion.
I do not necessarily agree with him, but I do think about what he is saying.

Jabberwock on December 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM

So Rush says Donovan McNabb is overrated (which proved true over time) because people are “desirous of a black star quarterback” and gets canned; but a clearly racist black commentator says RG3 “isn’t black enough” and other racial insults – but it’s ok since he’s black.
Got it./

dentarthurdent on December 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM

OK, this idiot is still being paid by ESPN? He should be thrown out on his rear.

SC.Charlie on December 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Obama had a black father and a white mother. His black father abandoned the family and he was raised by his Mother and his white grandparents ………. he ain’t no brother either.

SC.Charlie on December 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM

He’s just a stupid person. He makes Al Campanis and Jimmy the Greek look like a rocket scientist, and a brain surgeon, respectively. Braids. OMG. So stupid.

Paul-Cincy on December 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Help me out here. Is being a corn dog brother a bad thing?

KCsecurity1976 on December 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Mark Levin admirably went ballistic on this racist clown last night, while repeatedly saying he didn’t want him fired.

I say good job, ESPN. Now drop the other shoe.

Yephora on December 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Four year, 21 million dollar contract. You’re damn skippy “he isn’t one of us.” He’s a great athlete, well paid, and he can be whatever or whomever he wants with that kind of dough. He doesn’t have to answer to any “commentator”, least of all this punk.

If one of the honkeys on ESPN had talked this kind of smack, he would have been fired before the commercial break. This moron will get a pass because of his skin color. Can you say discrimination?

ESPN: The New MSNBC

NoPain on December 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Can we stop imagining Robert Griffin III as a man who will remake the Quarterback position? We’ve been there before.

And there’s another rookie quarterback who is actually better than Griffin. Andrew Luck.

Stats:

INT 18 4
Longest 60 88 (T)
20+ 57 43
40+ 9 6
Sacks 32 28
QB Rating 74.5 104.2

The 2011 and 2012 record for Washington is 5-11 and 7-6 respectively.

For Indianapolis – 2-14 and 9-4

Plus, there are obvious concerns about Griffin III’s durability.

I’ll take Luck, thank you very much.

Mitoch55 on December 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Yeah, I agree. They’re finally playing a little D too. I don’t know what’s up with that. They’re actually getting a little scarey.

Luck wasn’t the topic, but good info. Thanks.

NoPain on December 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Mitoch55 on December 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM

So what you’re saying is, if we ignore Griffin’s rushing yards and quarterback rating, then Luck is marginally better than Griffin.

Not sure if I buy it.

Sgt Steve on December 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Not sure if I buy it.

Sgt Steve on December 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Miss this part of it, did you?

The 2011 and 2012 record for Washington is 5-11 and 7-6 respectively.

For Indianapolis – 2-14 and 9-4

Plus, there are obvious concerns about Griffin III’s durability.

Mitoch55 on December 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Griffin hasn’t yet missed a game. His toughness is not a question. His long term durability is impossible to gauge. Guys blow out their knees in training camp, or play for 15+ years. Saying because he’s gotten knocked out of games because he has a reckless style of play doesn’t mean he’s not capable of having a decent career.

The Redskins defense has been absolutely ravaged by injuries, and were without their first string receiver for more than half the season.

The Colts were a functional team minus a QB last year, arguably playing for a high draft pick. They got as close to Peyton Manning Jr. as they were able in Andy Luck.

The Skins were a team whose gone from bad QBs to worse QBs for 20 years. But to go along with that, their entire team was badly dysfunctional. Griffin epitomizes the idea of right player, right time, right team.

Again, Luck is only a better QB is you ignore giant chunks of Griffin’s play and what he brings to that offense. And that goes beyond their team’s records.

Sgt Steve on December 15, 2012 at 12:43 AM

When will this racist pig be fired?

redware on December 15, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Wow, try to imagine a white guy ranting about the “whiteness” of Andrew Luck. I’ve always said that the real racists in this country today are blacks.

cajunpatriot on December 15, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I thought whipping up racial animosity was the purview of academics, not sports people.

Metro on December 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM