Green Room

The Coming Immigration Debate

posted at 6:19 pm on December 12, 2012 by

It’s going to be a tough issue for conservatives, and even the very articulate Marco Rubio seems to believe it will be a comprehensive package, and he normally hates comprehensive packages. Here’s what he has to say with Hugh Hewitt on Hugh’s show this afternoon.

Look, I’m open-minded on the approach, except that my preference is we have to deal with it comprehensively. I just question the wisdom of doing it in one massive piece of legislation, the reason being that every time that Washington has tried to tackle an issue like this comprehensively, you end up trading one good policy in exchange for five very bad policies or four very bad policies. I also think it’s difficult to put together the kind of support for a big piece of legislation. Some people think that that means well, let’s just do the easy stuff and not touch the hard stuff. I don’t think that’s true at all. I think we have to do all of it. That’s why I believe we have to deal with it comprehensively. And maybe I’m wrong about doing it in one big bill. I’m just wary of it, because I think it’s failed in the past, because you end up having to do three or four really bad things in order to get one good thing done. Look, this is a serious issue. We have to solve it. It’s important for our country to solve this issue. But it has to be done, and it has to be done in a way that’s humane and compassionate. But it also has to be done in a way that’s responsible. We do want to be compassionate to the people, like the young people that were brought here when they were children. We do want to take into account the fact that when you talk about 11 million undocumented people, you’re talking about 11 million human beings with real families and real stories. And on the other hand, we want to make sure that we’re being fair to the people who have done it right, and we want to make sure we don’t do anything that encourages people to do this in the future, because if we do it the wrong way, in ten years, we’ll have another 11 million people. So we don’t want that to happen, either. So this is going to take a little time, but I think it’s important to do it right. It’s a very important thing for our country. America cannot be what it is destined to be in the 21st Century if we don’t figure this out, and I hope to play an important role in that.

The rest of the interview transcript, and the audio of it, will be available a little later here.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Not going to pass the House.

Jon0815 on December 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

UK: Yes, Immigration Can Bring Huge Benefits, But On This Scale And At This Speed, It’s Too Much To Cope With…

It is perilously close to the point where you can honestly say that “Britain is no longer British.” And, native-born Brits with a long familial history in the country were told they were racist if they wanted to maintain the traditions and culture – the British uniqueness.

Why is it that only Western countries are expected to accept, adapt and even capitulate on cultural, traditional and religious issues when no one would demand that China or Saudi Arabia change to mollify the demands of people coming to their country? When I came to the US, I didn’t demand that you accommodate me by driving on the other side of the road.

Just like Labour, it was the intent of Democrats to do exactly the opposite of what they promised…

“First, our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually. Under the proposed bill, the present level of immigration remains substantially the same … Secondly, the ethnic mix of this country will not be upset … Contrary to the charges in some quarters, [the bill] will not inundate America with immigrants from any one country or area, or the most populated and deprived nations of Africa and Asia … In the final analysis, the ethnic pattern of immigration under the proposed measure is not expected to change as sharply as the critics seem to think…

The bill will not flood our cities with immigrants. It will not upset the ethnic mix of our society. It will not relax the standards of admission. It will not cause American workers to lose their jobs.”

– Senator Edward Kennedy (D-MA), U.S. Senate, Subcommittee on Immigration and Naturalization of the Committee on the Judiciary, Washington, D.C., 10 February 1965. pp. 1-3

Resist We Much on December 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM

The reasons for “comprehensive immigration reform”, is to give amnesty to illegals. The reason you call it comprehensive immigration reform is because people hate amnesty for illegals.The last amnesty was supposed to be the last amnesty. Yet here we are again. I also see no reason why we have to be compassionate and humane to people who break the law.Where is the compassion and concern for those who wait years while respecting our immigration laws? Where is the compassion and concern for those of us who actually pay taxes who are stuck paying for the healthcare and education of illegals? If “amnesty” for illegals passes with even one Republican vote, the best the GOP can hope for is that I don’t show up to vote. The worst case will be that I vote either third party or for the Dems to send a message to the GOP.

Hera on December 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM

And in other news, an illegal immigrant senate intern (whos also a sex offender) was arrested. Menendez’ intern, why amn’t I surprised.

tommy71 on December 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Why would House have to deal ?

The minorities have chosen, and there is no reason to think they will ever vote R anyway.
Relocate them all to Caleefornia.
Problem solved jeffe.

FlaMurph on December 13, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Why in the hell do we need to reform our immigration policies when nothing is wrong with them. We just have to enforce the ones we already have. It comes down to enforcement, which is what we are lacking right now, not new laws!

The only reason they want to ‘reform’ the law is to give amnesty. We hand been giving amnesty for years tweaking prior legislation to allow more and more illegals to become citizens. It is how the Dems will have a firm hold on all all elections in the future.

Patriot Vet on December 13, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus