Green Room

“It came as a big shock to them when he was killed”

posted at 11:40 am on December 12, 2012 by

In case you’re not a regular ‘Sportscenter’ viewer, the Los Angeles Lakers are having a bit of a rough season.  In an attempt to right the ship, the organization has been experimenting with various team-building exercises — including a group outing to draw inspiration from Steven Spielberg’s acclaimed film, Lincoln.  According to star player Kobe Bryant, the idea may not have panned out so well.  It’s come to this?

McMenamin, an ESPN reporter, has clarified that Kobe was being sarcastic.  So perhaps members of the Lakers squad are aware of Lincoln’s existence and assassination after all, even if they aren’t especially infused with pride or gratitude by his contributions to the republic:

In Nash’s defense, he’s Canadian.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Steve Nash should’ve stayed with the Suns. :)

22044 on December 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

McMenamin, an ESPN reporter, has clarified that Kobe was being sarcastic.

Ask Kobe what sarcastic means.

And you might want to mention that it has nothing to do with a swish from half-court.

BobMbx on December 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

With the exception of Lincoln I dont know a single name mentioned in this post. Who are these people and why am I supposed to care?

Valkyriepundit on December 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I walked out of the movie knowing that most people would be surprised to learn Lincoln was a Republican. You know, since Republicans are evil and all that……………

goflyers on December 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Goflyers, wasn’t it interesting watching pro-slavery Democrats spewing venom at the “radical Republicans”? Also, if your handle is an NHL reference, Go Devils.

Guy Benson on December 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Who are these people and why am I supposed to care?

Valkyriepundit on December 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I looked up this Kobe Bryant fellow. Apparently, in 2003, he gave his wife a huge diamond ring worth about $4 million after he was charged with but eventually beat a sexual assault charge in 2003.

Unfortunately, she divorced him this year. But, don’t worry about her, she was able to keep the ring in a $75 million settlement, which included three mansions and more.

What this has to do with a movie about Lincoln… I’m not sure.

Oh, it was a rhetorical question? Nevermind…

Fallon on December 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM

goflyers on December 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I’m also sure many would be surprised that it was Republicans that led the cause for the passage of the 13th Amendment and that only a handful of Democrats voted for it (the lame-duck ones that the Republicans were “bribing” to vote with them).

Bitter Clinger on December 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Lincoln died? Who knew?

Goes with…

7% of union-taught 8th grade students in Detroit can read at their grade level.

And, of course, United States’ history didn’t really start until Obama became President.

Lincoln? Pffft!

Resist We Much on December 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Nash is a Canadian.

So, he’s allowed to fall asleep.

budfox on December 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Valkyriepundit on December 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I support professional sports even less than I support Hollywood. Which is, not much at all.

To me these “superstars” are mostly a bunch of overpaid, undereducated spoiled brats.

UltimateBob on December 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Nothing
But
A**holes

… couldn’t pay me to watch that s***.

M240H on December 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM

not surprised steve nash doesnt care. he was born in south africa and raised in canada.

chasdal on December 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Valkyriepundit on December 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Who said you had to care?

joejm65 on December 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM

So perhaps members of the Lakers squad are aware of Lincoln’s existence and assassination after all, even if they aren’t especially infused with pride or gratitude by his contributions to the republic:

Lincoln’s contributions like walking all over the constitution, destroying states rights, etc? The best thing that happened was Booth killing the bastard.

woodNfish on December 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Steve Nash should’ve stayed with the Suns Mavericks.

22044 on December 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

FTFY.

Ward Cleaver on December 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I’ve not seen Lincoln and have no interest in doing so. Looks boring.

changer1701 on December 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM

As I said before (if you can’t quote yourself what good is life?), Hollywood finally made a politically-themed movie where the Republican is the good guy.

And then they kill him off.

Liberal SOBs.

SteveMG on December 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

“It was long … Steve (Nash) fell asleep at one point. He was snoring”

In Nash’s defense, he’s Canadian.

And anti-American, to the extent that he hates those of us who want to enforce our immigration laws.

itsnotaboutme on December 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Steve Nash should’ve stayed with the Suns.

22044 on December 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

My state is better off w/o him.

Let CA send their remaining conservatives here, & they can have conservative-haters like Nash.

itsnotaboutme on December 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Funny thing is the movie doesn’t even depict Lincoln’s death.

steebo77 on December 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM

itsnotaboutme on December 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I was disappointed to learn that.

22044 on December 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Valkyriepundit on December 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Because they get paid obscene amounts of money to…dribble.

While running back and forth in a gymnasium dressed in their underwear.

Solaratov on December 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Because they get paid obscene amounts of money to…dribble.

While running back and forth in a gymnasium dressed in their underwear.

Solaratov on December 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM

His mother is Welsh, so thank your lucky stars he doesn’t cover the entire court in phlegm every time he ‘dribbles’ .

EnglishRogue on December 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM