Green Room

Ask not for whom the caption tolls …

posted at 7:54 am on December 8, 2012 by

… it tolls for thee, and we, and me.  Via Twitchy, which calls this “a massive bong hit,” the White House offers this look at Barack Obama’s activities in Burma, er, Myanmar, er, Burma:

Note the return to the State Department-approved “Burma” in that tweet, too. Anyway, this looks like a perfect opportunity for some Saturday morning fun.  Offer up your best captions in the comments!

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

how does this jive with his mohammedian faith?

tom daschle concerned on December 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM

So this is the big stick Biden was talking about.

Miwagi on December 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Looks like Jordan’s baseball swing. Go Sox!

Write Wing on December 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Just pretend it’s John Boehner’s head Barry.

Miwagi on December 8, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I see the chimes and the cuckoo, but where’s the damn clock?

radjah shelduck on December 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM

President Obama’s pivot to Asia recently led him to “Burma” where he took part in the ancient Asian practice of ignoring the Fiscal Cliff.

DeathtotheSwiss on December 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Sorry, but I don’t think you’re going to do better than Twitchy’s headline, “White House tweets photo of president’s massive bong hit in Burma”.

yongoro on December 8, 2012 at 9:06 AM

He found a ball he CAN hit.

FOWG1 on December 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM

“Arod’s got nothing on this bong!”

“We have one of these at the White house to let Michelle know it’s time for dinner.”

BruthaMan on December 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Dumbbell meets Big Bell

astonerii on December 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Keeps knees straight…
Lift bell striker upward with opposing arm as straight as possible…
Keeps eyes on bell…
Damn, why can’t I get this technique? I want a mulligan!

ExpressoBold on December 8, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Choom Gang’s most famous grad hits mother of all bongs!

Pecozbill on December 8, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Well you’re dirty and sour, clad in black
Don’t look back and I can’t stand ya
You’re dirty and sour, oh yeah
Well you’re slim and you’re weak
You’ve got the teeth of a fascist upon you
You’re dirty sour and you’re my Presidente!

Chorus:
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on
Get it on, bang the gong, get it on

You’re built like a car, you’ve got a Prius crappy battery
You’re built like a car, oh yeah
You’re an uneducated youth that’s the truth with your cloak full of nothing
You’re dirty sour and you’re my Presidente!

Chorus:
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on
Get it on, bang the gong, get it on

You’re windy and a boar, you’ve got the blues in your shoes and your tie…
You’re windy and a boar, oh yeah
You’re built like a car, you’ve got a Prius crappy battery
You’re dirty sour and you’re my Presidente!

Chorus:
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on
Get it on, bang the gong, get it on

Well you’re dirty and sour, clad in black
Don’t look back and I can’t stand ya
You’re dirty and sour, oh yeah
You teleprompter when you talk, dance around the truth, take no chances in questions, and are “perfectly clear”
You’re dirty sour and you’re my Presidente!

Chorus:
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on
Get it on, bang the gong, get it on

deadite on December 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Obama displays what may be the only task he’s qualified to perform.

BobMbx on December 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Take that, Charles Murray!

Mr. D on December 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM

“Fore!!!”

ShainS on December 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Oh leave him alone. It’s the hardest he’s worked in four twenty years.

inviolet on December 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM

American economy, the beatings will continue until your morale improves.

rbj on December 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I can not bring myself to make a joke of this disrespectful picture. The Ringing of a Temple Bell is a ritual to produce the sound Om, The universal name of the Lord. It is done by ringing the bell in a poking motion , not whacking it like a baseball bat. The bells are cast. The whacking motion can crack the bell and kill it for all ages to come.

Caption: I have a bigger Om then your Lord.

If you find this offensive, good. You should. I do.

jpcpt03 on December 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

BHO: Burma has got a big ball…..er, bell.

tommy71 on December 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Take a bow, Captain Ed.

onlineanalyst on December 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM

These Salvation Army bell ringers are getting out of hand.

Left Coast Right Mind on December 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Obama Replaces Clapper

Kenz on December 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Caption: I have a bigger Om then your Lord.

If you find this offensive, good. You should. I do.

jpcpt03 on December 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I thought buddhists didn’t believe in a “god” so much as that everyone can reach enlightenment, or something like that.

Othniel on December 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Also, bong hits for Buddha.

Othniel on December 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Caption: I have a bigger Om then your Lord.

If you find this offensive, good. You should. I do.

jpcpt03 on December 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I thought that too, though it occurred to me that since he’s holding it in the middle – and not at the end, like a bat – that maybe he *was* actually moving to ‘poke’ it with the ‘butt’ of the striker rather than strike as if with a bat. Does one truly ‘poke’ it as though you’d poke something with a stick?

Not trying to defend the twit, I hate him – it just seemed odd that if planned to whack it as if with a bat that he’d be holding it in the middle like that. But then again, this is Mr. Mom Jeans who doesn’t quite know how to *throw* well either, so…

Midas on December 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM

“American Gladiator abuses helpless inanimate object that can’t hit back”

SteveThomas on December 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Othniel on December 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

My understanding is that Buddhists are, like the rest of us, varied on the belief in a monotheistic God; i.e., some believe, some don’t, and some don’t know.

To the Buddha himself — who existed 500 years before Christ and never encountered the Jewish faith — monotheism was a foreign concept. His world was filled with many gods, the creator god “Brahma” being the most important one. Although the Buddha himself was a theist (believed in gods), his teachings are non-theistic.

A key distinction should be made between Buddhism as it arose in Nepal (characterized mainly by types of mindfulness meditation), and Buddhism after the migration of the teachings to Tibet with a heavy Hindu influence (involving the additional chanting of “OM” or of mantras).

In Hinduism the mantra “OM” is the name of God, the vibration of the Supreme. For Hindus and some Buddhists, “OM” is the primordial sound, the first breath of creation, the vibration that ensures existence. The “OM” sign signifies God, Creation, & the One-ness of all creation.

Final trivia: Burma presently is approximately 89% Buddhist and 1% Hindu.

ShainS on December 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM

how does this jive with his mohammedian faith?

tom daschle concerned on December 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM

You’re Christian?

Capitalist Hog on December 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM

bunting the bell.

unclesmrgol on December 8, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Thanks jpcpt03. Here’s that link cleaned up a bit: clapper

What you do is highlight the text you want linked then click the “link” button above the post text-field. Enter the link, no matter the length in the URL prompt. Enter.

Same thing for quotes, etc.

I hope that helps.

Capitalist Hog on December 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM

He thinks he’s playing cricket?

Capitalist Hog on December 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I..I ..I ..I ..I …..I…. Want the knife………please….

TBinSTL on December 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I..I ..I ..I ..I …..I…. Want the knife………please….

TBinSTL on December 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM

My dear brother Numse!

tom daschle concerned on December 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Bell and Dumbbell

Schadenfreude on December 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Bell and Dumbbell

Schadenfreude

Possibly the best yet!

Olo_Burrows on December 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

mmmm this feels just like Reggie’s penis.

deimos on December 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Obama give us the finger

Thanks Capitalist Hog you just opened up a new world for me.

jpcpt03 on December 8, 2012 at 10:32 PM

“Let me show you what I am doing to the Liberty Bell. Now, imagine this is a sledgehammer.”

Sterling Holobyte on December 9, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Othniel on December 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

ShainS on December 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM

According to the current (14th) Dalai Lama “Buddhists don’t believe in God.”

I heard him say this, that quote above, in person, when asked to clairfy along the lines of the question “Othniel” writes.

The Dalai Lama said, “Buddhists don’t believed in God…” then went on to explain that the believe that everyone can become God or “reach” to that state of divinity as he/they understand it to be.

Mental state, in other words, they ascribe to, not a belief in a monotheistic Creator as exists for Christianity, Judaism, Islam and a number of other beliefs.

Lourdes on December 9, 2012 at 3:31 AM