Green Room

Florida seized disabled child from mother, child died hours later

posted at 12:55 pm on December 6, 2012 by

This is an unbelievably horrific story, almost literally unbelievable.  Florida’s child-protection system seized a disabled child from her mother in defiance of a court order, and despite the mother’s pleas that the child would die without her supervision.  And sure enough, just hours later, 14-year-old Marie Freyre was dead.

Someone should be going to prison over this:

Even after Marie Freyre died alone in a nursing home 250 miles from the family in North Tampa that loved her, Marie’s mother had to fight to bring her home.

In March 2011, state child protection investigators took 14-year-old Marie from her mother, Doris Freyre, claiming Doris’ own disabilities made it almost impossible for her to care for Marie, who suffered from seizures and severe cerebral palsy. But a Tampa judge signed an order that Marie be returned to her mother, with in-home nursing care around the clock.

Florida health care administrators refused to pay for it, although in-home care can be demonstrably cheaper than care in an institution. Child welfare workers ignored the order completely.

Two months later, Marie was strapped into an ambulance for a five-hour trip to a Miami Gardens nursing home, as her mother begged futilely to go with her.

Marie died 12 hours after she arrived.

A month earlier, Judge Vivian Corvo ordered the state to provide an overnight nurse for the child.  Instead …

So, at 11:30 a.m. April 25, 2011, workers at Tampa General Hospital loaded the teen onto a stretcher in a private ambulance — as her mother and grandfather begged them to stop. Even as caseworkers were packing Marie’s belongings, her grandfather was frantically filing hand-written emergency motions in court to delay the trip, Brudny said.

Doris Freyre, case notes say, “stated that no one knows my child like me,” and that Marie’s dislocated hip would cause her great pain if she were strapped to a stretcher for hours. She added: “If something happens to my daughter I am holding all of you responsible for it.”

Freyre had no car — and the private ambulance refused to allow her to join Marie — so Marie made the trip to Miami-Dade County alone.

Records show the two ambulance workers refused to take Marie’s seizure drugs with them; under the company’s policy, they were not allowed to administer medications in any case. According to a report detailing Tampa General Hospital’s care of Marie, the hospital neglected to ensure she was properly hydrated before she left. During her five-hour ambulance ride, she was given no water or food. …

Marie arrived in Miami Gardens the way she left Tampa: screaming. AHCA records for the next 12 hours mention only four notations in the nursing home file, and two of them document Marie “screaming.”

By 5:40 a.m. April 27, 2011, Marie was described as having “labored” breathing. Five minutes later, she was unresponsive. The AHCA investigation concluded she had been given none of her life-sustaining anti-seizure drugs, required three times each day.

Marie was pronounced dead at 6:54 a.m. Cause of death: heart attack.

Via The Anchoress.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Terrible. Terrible. How lonely that girl must have felt in her final hours…

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Read this bit again

The program will pay as much as $506 a day — twice the rate for frail elders — to put a child like Marie in a nursing home, but refuses to cover lesser or similar amounts for in-home care.

SarahW on December 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM

SarahW on December 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM

There are two things there. One, elders only get half the money. Two, they will spend more money just to have total control over the child.

astonerii on December 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

This is also what happens when you have hordes of civil service folks who think they are god, above the law, cannot be fired

William Eaton on December 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM

It’s a state government employee, so I would bet my life they are unionized, and therefore you are probably right that they can’t be fired.

gravityman on December 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

It is so when they turn 18 they can bus them to the polls to vote for more wealth transfers and power for the political CLASS, CLASS lets say this loud and clear we are now a CLASS society. Some people have special rights and privileges, kinds that are not earned.

astonerii on December 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Dreadful.

lexhamfox on December 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Marie’s body remained in storage for nine months while the medical examiner’s office completed its autopsy…

WHY in God’s green earth would an autospy take nine months in this case? A cya action for those that did this by the medical examiner?
L

letget on December 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Some child “protection” services those were. The mother oughta sue the pants off of any and all of them that she can. I know it won’t bring back her child, but an a big point needs to be made here.

stukinIL4now on December 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

letget on December 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Unless I missed it, the mother didn’t get the private autopsy she wanted.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Followed by the entire family dying a horrible state sponsored death.

astonerii on December 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Maybe, but if the life of a child isn’t worth fighting for what is?

antipc on December 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I was thinking terrified.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Shots would have been fired if they tried to take a child of mine in this situation. This country is going to hell.

Hendo on December 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Was someone getting a kickback from the nursing home?

agmartin on December 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I was thinking terrified.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Yes, that too.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

In the future they’ll just euthanize disabled people.
Ward Cleaver on December 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Already happening in the U.K.

agmartin on December 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Hendo on December 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

This.

The only pleading going on would be that of the bureaucrat begging for his life. Sure, the cops would show up, and I’d be in a heap of trouble, but someone else would be leaving in an ambulance.

CurtZHP on December 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

If I were on the jury, I would vote for the death penalty.

Gas the m***er****er.

kiltedscotsman5 on December 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I read that also. But there should be no reason the medical examiner didn’t do his job, and then release the body for a private exam in a timely manner? It happens all the time if the family has an issue with the findings.
L

letget on December 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Hendo on December 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

You goddamn got that right. This kinda thing really kills my soul.

Spectreman on December 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I wish the mother luck in keeping her promise of holding all of them responsible :(

Ukiah on December 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

What happens when bureaucrats run healthcare.

Sick children are being discharged from NHS hospitals to die at home or in hospices on controversial ‘death pathways’.

Until now, end of life regime the Liverpool Care Pathway was thought to have involved only elderly and terminally-ill adults.

But the Mail can reveal the practice of withdrawing food and fluid by tube is being used on young patients as well as severely disabled newborn babies.

One doctor has admitted starving and dehydrating ten babies to death in the neonatal unit of one hospital alone.

Writing in a leading medical journal, the physician revealed the process can take an average of ten days during which a baby becomes ‘smaller and shrunken’.

agmartin on December 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

letget on December 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I think this is the classic example of FUBAR.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

This makes me want to cry. This is a perfect example of the inflexibility of government. I feel for the mother and this poor child. My daughter has CF so I am particularly sensitive to how it is to have a sick child.

scharlesc on December 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Hendo on December 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I agree it would be over my dead body.

scharlesc on December 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Ward Cleaver on December 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

This.

This is totally believable. This is the direction the statists are taking us. No regard for personal rights, no regard for humanity. How these child “welfare” workers could load a screaming child into an ambulance while their guardians were begging them to stop shows an inhumanity last witnessed during the Holocaust. There. I said it. The G@d damned Holocaust. And don’t tell me these people were just doing their job/following orders. That excuse was trotted out plenty at Nuremberg.

teacherman on December 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

And THIS. ^^^

PatriotGal2257 on December 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Maybe, but if the life of a child isn’t worth fighting for what is?

antipc on December 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I agree with you. Just that there seems to be no citizen’s rights any longer.

astonerii on December 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Also remember, the mother was disabled as well. No reason to think that she would have even had 2nd amendment rights in this nation.

astonerii on December 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM

WELCOME TO THE FIRST INSTALLMENT OF “OBAMACARE”

tomyj1 on December 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Ed, please move this post from the Green Room to the main page.

ITguy on December 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Until we finally decide to march en masses and drag the corrupt bureaucrats screaming from from ivory towers this will continue.

darwin on December 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I have no words to express how sad, angry and disgusted I am with what happened. Unbelievable.

ButterflyDragon on December 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

After reading this article, isn’t everybody comforted to know that soon we will have unelected federal Obamacare bureaucrats serving on Death Panels deciding whether YOU are worthy of medical treatment???

landlines on December 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM

No pit in hell would suffice for those who would cause such a thing. Unfortunately, my personal response to such evil would justify that original evil for many. (See what a monster he became!!)
And I am against capital punishment, (at least as committed by the state).

trl on December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM

darwin on December 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM

First we will have to hear about these things a lot sooner than almost a year and a half later.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM

In other news, the Senate just voted down ratification of the UN Treaty which would take away parental control of disabled children.

(Used the Maddow link because one of my lib friends sent it to me to show the “evil” GOP).

Daisy_WI on December 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I agree with you. Just that there seems to be no citizen’s rights any longer.

astonerii on December 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Just because some faceless unaccountable bureaucrat decides they’re going to make decisions us doesn’t mean we have to give up our rights. We’re being forced to play that game all to often, especially here in CA, and I’m done playing.

antipc on December 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Well That settles it. We should give up trying to protect children.

Observation on December 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Please tell me someone is going to be prosecuted for this…

ccrosby on December 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

ccrosby on December 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I do wonder what AG Pam Bondi has to say about this.

Cindy Munford on December 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Remember government is the only thing we do together.

gwelf on December 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Gee, I thought it was only the insurance companies that did this. Just wait until Obamacare kicks in, the stories will be numerous and worse.

bflat879 on December 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I’s like to know how she feels about her arguments now.

“I just love it when a plan comes together.”

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if certain people involved in this decision consider that all parties involved are better off, because that’s how those people think. Brutal and inhuman.

Bob's Kid on December 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

The monster that is government strikes again. I guess the government only knows best when it’s waging endless wars, redistributing our $$$ to foreign governments and telling you not to smoke a joint.

Hypocrites

MoreLiberty on December 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM

The sad fact, this probably happens numerous times a day here in the US, but doesn’t get press? And the even more horrible sad fact when bhocare comes in, when they have their group that decides who/who does not get care, this will be worse?
L

letget on December 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM

This is chilling. I feel so sad and sick after reading this. That poor girl, what a horrible death.
What have we become? My prayers will go out to this family for their terrible suffering.

redlucy on December 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Only God could forgive me, I would hunt down each and every person involved. Not my child, not while I still had breath in my lungs….

StompUDead on December 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM

This must be the most horrific story that I’ve seen in a long time. Where went the humanity of all the bad actors in this obscene drama?

No one person killed this girl, she was taken from her family by
The social worker,
The ambulance drivers,
The hospital staff

And was left to die alone.

No one in the path of this tragedy could stand up for her? No one thought her important enough to treat with dignity?

I am saddened that our weakest and most defenseless citizens have no heros.

RINOs are people too on December 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Welcome to government-run health care!

They will look out for your best interests . . . except when they won’t . . . such as when it costs too much money, or . . . interferes with their agenda, or . . . is a personal bother, or . . . they don’t like you, or . . . they simply don’t want to.

EdmundBurke247 on December 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Murder charges against everyone involved – and a huge civil lawsuit for wrongful death against all of them – individually as well as the government.

dentarthurdent on December 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

gravityman on December 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Maybe they can’t be fired, but they can be severely dealt with. Whatever that means.

HiJack on December 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM