Green Room

Charles Barkley makes sense: I feel safer with my gun

posted at 3:07 pm on December 5, 2012 by

It’s not often I agree with Charles Barkley, especially when it comes to his politics, but in his latest discussion with Bob Costas about the “gun culture” he makes many valid and factual arguments. Bob Costas on the other hand continues to dig himself into a hole by saying people with multiple guns are more likely to end up in bad situations, which is factually untrue according to economic statistics.

BOB COSTAS: On Sunday night at half-time of the NFL game, I noted quoting Jason Whitlock who is now with FOX Sports, used to be Kansas City Star, quoting him saying that there is a gun culture in the United States that is corrosive. How do you see it?

CHARLES BARKLEY: I think especially in the black community, I don’t know if it’s a gun culture, it’s a crime culture. You know, we as black people always, we don’t have respect for one another. You know, we’ve got more black men in prison than we do in college and crime in our neighborhoods is running rampant. And I know everybody reacts when something like the Belcher thing happens but being black, this is something you deal with all the time. And it’s just sad. I’m a guy, I carry a real gun. I carry a real gun.

COSTAS: You live in Arizona where you can legally carry a gun.

BARKLEY: Even when I lived in Philadelphia, I’ve had a gun, I’ve carried a real gun in my car every year in my life since I was 22, 21. Never had to use it.

COSTAS: Are you packing right now? Just being sure.

BARKLEY: No, no no. I can beat you and John.

COSTAS: So you assess the situation. Whether you need an equalizer or not.

BARKLEY: I don’t think I would need it with you two. But I would never, I shouldn’t say never. I just feel safer with it because we have jocks that get robbed all the time. Road rage and things like that, I feel a sense of peace when I have it when me.

But it would take extreme circumstances to even touch it.

Barkley’s last line is key, especially since Costas argued on Sunday that having a gun only escalates a situation (which isn’t true). People who understand and respect firearms know that the use of one against another person should be a last resort option.

For more on the gun culture in America, read my column over at Townhall.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I would not feel safe around Charles Barkley with or without his gun.

SC.Charlie on December 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Charles used to make sense like this all the time before Obama ran. Regardless, he’s exactly right, and instead of focusing on an inanimate object the real story might be the culture of violence that Belcher was a part of. Funny that someone employed by the NFL’s TV partners wouldn’t want to explore THAT angle.

changer1701 on December 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I’m good with Charles… he hasn’t murdered his babymama lately…

Khun Joe on December 5, 2012 at 3:38 PM

SC.Charlie on December 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

homophobic much?

burserker on December 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Well, that didn’t work out too well for Little Bob, did it? Maybe he should interview some rappers for some realistic culture tips on women, violence, and respect for the law.

a capella on December 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I would not feel safe around Charles Barkley with or without his gun.

SC.Charlie on December 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Only if I was doing something that would make him mad….

dentarthurdent on December 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Who would of thought that Bob wouldn’t want to argue with someone both beloved by the sports community and with moral authority and perspective on the subject.

DeathtotheSwiss on December 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I’m still waiting for someone to ask Bobby boy how many armed guards he has to “feel a sense of peace”.

dentarthurdent on December 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Costas demonstrates that having a microphone increases the chance for idiocy!!

landlines on December 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Very true. But if a white man had said it, he would have been lynched by the media.

SC.Charlie on December 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Notice how Costas changed the subject as soon as Barkley said he was 50 and had hadn’t used it at all.

PattyJ on December 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Date 9/22/2012 – Charles Barkley recently weighed in on comments made by PGA golfer Greg Norman, who said that he believes Tiger Woods is intimidated by fellow golfer Rory McIlroy.

“I would like for him to just blast Greg Norman … That situation gave everybody a chance to dump on you, and [Tiger] still tried to take the high road. I’m not a high road guy. I want him to come out and really blast Greg Norman. I wish he would go ballistic on Greg … I wish I could put some of my blackness in him … like toughness … [I've been] arrested eight times for fighting … just because I’m Charles Barkley, you can’t disrespect me… you just can’t say anything to me anytime you want to…

Apparently, Charles Barkley equates “blackness” to behaving violently and getting arrested.

Source: blacksportsonline.com

SC.Charlie on December 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

The value of life apparently depends on the tool used to eliminate it.

a capella on December 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Charles Barkley has been someone who sometimes gets it right – often gets it obscenely wrong, but sometimes gets it right.

besser tot als rot on December 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Its interesting that Plaxico Burress’s name comes up now with the Belcher tragedy. What almost never gets reported about Plaxico’s case is that 3 days before he accidentally shot himself, his teammate and fellow receiver at the time, Steve Smith, was held up at gunpoint right outside his house. Wouldn’t a close co-worker getting held up at gunpoint make you think of carrying a gun? It would for me.

Zaggs on December 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Obviously, Charles Barkley is not black. How could a black man have gone this long without shooting up some biotches. Come on Chuck. Come out of the closet. You’re a white guy! Golfing, carrying guns…. come on! You’re as white as Jack Sikma.

Sugar Land on December 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Leave it to Barkley, who at one time said he was going to be governor of Alabama some day (running as a Republican), to speak with some common sense. Too bad he switched to the prog side.

Garym on December 5, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Barkley used to make sense like this on a semi-regular basis before he went off the deep end politically. But he’s absolutely right here. Granted, Chuck likely ain’t living in the ghetto(unless he gambled away all his earnings), but Costas should interview law-abiding citizens in poor neighborhoods and ask them how they’d like it if it were illegal to own a gun and how much safer they’d feel.

Doughboy on December 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM

In this case, I don’t it has anything to do with guns, or the “Black Culture”, or football, or anything like that. Men have killed wives and girlfriends throughout history for all sorts of stupid jealous reasons

It is not like this is something new or something we have not seen before…but it is dimwits like Costas and others who try to find the true cause when the obvious is drunken (or at least hung over) jealous abusive controlling jerks have a greater chance of killing their wife or girlfriend.

William Eaton on December 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM

SC.Charlie on December 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

homophobic much?

burserker on December 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM

That was quite a reach there.

Care to share how you arrived at that conclusion?

Solaratov on December 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM

That was quite a reach there.

Care to share how you arrived at that conclusion?

Solaratov

It’s called projection.

xblade on December 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Charles Barkley points out something that has long puzzled me. Why do blacks support Democrat policies that end up hurting blacks? If more law-abiding people in Chicago had access to guns, there’d be fewer funerals going on in black neighborhoods.

It’s not just guns that make people safer. It’s the POSSIBILITY that someone might have a gun. A would-be burglar in Texas has a lot more worry than one in Washington DC.

hawksruleva on December 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

William Eaton on December 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Costas cares nothing about “true cause”. He wants to create a cause where none exists, because he’s been trained to believe that guns are evil. And he figured his friends in the media would celebrate him for that stance.

But in the sports world, he just reinforced his position as a guy who’s completely out of touch.

hawksruleva on December 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Bob’s point at the end of the clip is obviously false. He says that when, in a room of 80 football players, 65 have guns, you have to think something bad is going to happen.

But all 65 of those people are carrying guns to REDUCE the chances of something bad happening. For every Marvin Harrison, there’s 64 other guys who carried a gun without incident.

hawksruleva on December 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I missed this. Good article, Katie.

Fallon on December 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM