Green Room

A no-show problem?

posted at 2:01 pm on December 5, 2012 by

Salena Zito writes about the demographic detail from the election that seems to have gotten overlooked — and which is impacting both parties:

Our political parties have an alarming problem with white middle-class voters.

Both parties failed to connect with them in this presidential election — from rural voters in the Midwest, Plains and Allegheny Mountains to Iowa’s “Reagan Democrats” (who did not show up for Republican Mitt Romney), as well as along the Appalachian Trail from New York to Mississippi (which rejected Democrat Barack Obama).

Many pundits point to high turnout by minorities and young people as the key component of Obama’s victory.

But Sean Trende, an analyst at RealClearPolitics, points to a problem that flew under the radar: White voters did not turn out, and they did not turn out in significant numbers.

There was a gap of about 7 million voters in this category from 2008.  Perhaps the tenor of the campaign ended up turning them off, or maybe the GOTV efforts from both parties overlooked them.  Be sure to read the whole thing.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

As intended, Ed.

Steve Eggleston on December 5, 2012 at 2:11 PM

The base GOTV faltered.
I am going to go out on a limb and say that there are hundreds of thousands if not a couple million people like me in this nation. I typically bring along between 16 at the low end to 32 at the high end of my family members to the polls. Not physically, but I coax them into voting, and it is not easy to do. I also talk to coworkers and get them to turn out instead of staying home. This election I completely skipped this aspect. I was pretty certain I was not even going to vote, until the last 4 weeks. Even then it was grudgingly.

Take 500,000 people like me, figure each turning out 15 people because they are enthusiastic about the candidate or at least his “Read My Lips” level pledge for policy and you get 7.5 million more votes.

500,000 people like me is 1% of the Republican vote. We told you during the primary you would not get the base. If you do not get the base, you do not get the base’ coattails.

Run a conservative, and if you cannot do that, then force the progressive to make as many “Read My Lips, Cut, Cap & Balance, You can take that to the bank” pledges as you can. Do not let him run as democrat light!

astonerii on December 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

astonerii on December 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Yep. Maybe, they were turned off by being offered a choice between fascism and socialism, instead of a choice between fascism and freedom.

GWB on December 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Top Pick

Irreligion.

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”

Currently doing a search for “good international trade lawyers”

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

At least their address rarely changes

It just keeps on happening

“Trump is good for business right now.”

Start spreading the news…

“Now it’s time for the next step.”

A “cryptic” warning to Bashar al-Assad?

Jazz Shaw Jun 27, 2017 8:01 AM

The three strikes rule may be in effect

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment