Green Room

A no-show problem?

posted at 2:01 pm on December 5, 2012 by

Salena Zito writes about the demographic detail from the election that seems to have gotten overlooked — and which is impacting both parties:

Our political parties have an alarming problem with white middle-class voters.

Both parties failed to connect with them in this presidential election — from rural voters in the Midwest, Plains and Allegheny Mountains to Iowa’s “Reagan Democrats” (who did not show up for Republican Mitt Romney), as well as along the Appalachian Trail from New York to Mississippi (which rejected Democrat Barack Obama).

Many pundits point to high turnout by minorities and young people as the key component of Obama’s victory.

But Sean Trende, an analyst at RealClearPolitics, points to a problem that flew under the radar: White voters did not turn out, and they did not turn out in significant numbers.

There was a gap of about 7 million voters in this category from 2008.  Perhaps the tenor of the campaign ended up turning them off, or maybe the GOTV efforts from both parties overlooked them.  Be sure to read the whole thing.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

As intended, Ed.

Steve Eggleston on December 5, 2012 at 2:11 PM

The base GOTV faltered.
I am going to go out on a limb and say that there are hundreds of thousands if not a couple million people like me in this nation. I typically bring along between 16 at the low end to 32 at the high end of my family members to the polls. Not physically, but I coax them into voting, and it is not easy to do. I also talk to coworkers and get them to turn out instead of staying home. This election I completely skipped this aspect. I was pretty certain I was not even going to vote, until the last 4 weeks. Even then it was grudgingly.

Take 500,000 people like me, figure each turning out 15 people because they are enthusiastic about the candidate or at least his “Read My Lips” level pledge for policy and you get 7.5 million more votes.

500,000 people like me is 1% of the Republican vote. We told you during the primary you would not get the base. If you do not get the base, you do not get the base’ coattails.

Run a conservative, and if you cannot do that, then force the progressive to make as many “Read My Lips, Cut, Cap & Balance, You can take that to the bank” pledges as you can. Do not let him run as democrat light!

astonerii on December 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

astonerii on December 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Yep. Maybe, they were turned off by being offered a choice between fascism and socialism, instead of a choice between fascism and freedom.

GWB on December 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM
Top Pick

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM
Top Pick

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”