Green Room

No Erickson bid for US Senate in Georgia

posted at 1:20 pm on November 30, 2012 by

Too bad.  It would have been a fun campaign — although, as Erick says, probably “terribly nasty” for reasons that don’t have anything to do with Saxby Chambliss or Erick:

In politics, self-awareness matters. It does. When I was a political consultant, I told my clients my first two rules. The first was to know when you were in the minority, even when you thought you were right. The second was to know yourself as others see you.

Self-awareness matters.

Were I to run for the Senate, it would be a terribly nasty campaign. It’d actually be really awesome, but it’d be really nasty. I have a seven year old, a soon to be four year old, and a wife who does not like being anywhere near a stage. I’m not putting my family through that when the best outcome would mean a sizable pay cut and being away from my kids and wife all the time huddled in a pit of vipers often surrounded by too many who viewed me as a useful instrument to their own advancement.

And this made me laugh out loud:

I don’t understand these people who take a bunch of time publicly wringing hands over these things. A week of thinking about it was enough.

Yes, I think those extended trial balloons are about something else other than decision-making, like … self-promotion and attention addiction.

I think he made the right decision for his family — but it would have been fun to see Erick run for the office.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Sounded like a joke to begin with.

changer1701 on November 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM

It would have been nasty because all the wild crap Erickson had flung in the past would have come boiling to the surface in the national eye (for example, calling David Souter a child molester). Erickson is his own worst enemy, which is why he’d never win such a high profile election.

AngusMc on November 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

It’s easier to be a Monday morning quarterback than to actually lead, huh? Who knew. Erickson lost points in my book for this one.

TeaParty on November 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Hey Ed, maybe you could challenge Franken?!?!?

vegconservative on November 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Hey Ed, maybe you could challenge Franken?!?!?

vegconservative on November 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM

That wouldn’t be fair to Franken.

Red Cloud on November 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Were I to run for the Senate, it would be a terribly nasty campaign

Erickson is the epitome of nasty.

JPeterman on November 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I going to run. My TV spots will show me doing pushups, with the voiceover saying “What kind of Senator will Georgians get if they vote for radjahshelduck? They’ll get a Senator who stands up for all the great men and women of the state, whether they live in Atlanta, Savannah, Macon, Albany, Athens, Columbus, Valdosta, or any place in between. They’ll get a Senator who will stand up to President Obama and tell him to stop hanging around with George Clooney and Eva Longoria and do his damn job. They’ll get a Senator whose hobby is reading books about the United States Constitution, not golfing with wealthy donors.” Then the camera focuses on my sweaty face as I finish my exercises and I add “And they’ll get a Senator who can do 150 pushups in two minutes, which you know damn well none of the Democrats with their girlish little liberal bodies can do!”

Think I could win with an ad like that?

radjah shelduck on November 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Good thing because Palin sure wouldn’t endorse him.

thebrokenrattle on November 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Ed’s too much of a nice guy to be a Senator. He’d become good friends with liberals and capitulate on amnesty and more.

How about Michelle Malkin for Senate?

sauldalinsky on November 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM

This clown is such a tool.. no way was this ever legit.. just a dumb ploy by Erickson to stayget in the headlines

gatorboy on November 30, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Now who is it who isn’t running?

alchemist19 on November 30, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Now who is it who isn’t running?

alchemist19

Sarah Palin.

xblade on November 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM

What a joke! Erickson would have finished dead last – no matter how many ran. A pay cut? Yeah, right, he makes more than a Senator now, sure, I believe it – RedStaters love to send him money.

The guy is a buffoon and would be completely humiliated by a campaign. Yeah, it’s “the right thing for his family” – no child should be forced to see their father as a useless fool.

Adjoran on November 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

It’s really too bad. His crushing defeat, whether in a primary or the general, would have finally forced the issue of looking long and hard at candidate quality control as far as the rightroots goes.

KingGold on November 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM

He always was annoying.
He always is annoying.
He will always be annoying.

To summarize: Erick Erickson embodies annoying.

aquaviva on November 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Its easy to just complain about stuff while collecting big media checks.

Joey24007 on November 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Whoever thought he would….?
Erickson is a finger pointer who makes a living telling everybody else what to do but when called to step up to the plate he puts his own comfort first.
The guy is all talk.
His site had pretty much a 90% failure rate picking winners the last election.
Who gives a damn what he thinks anymore?

NeoKong on November 30, 2012 at 6:04 PM

KingGold on November 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Exactly what part of the rightroots thought this was a good idea?

alwaysfiredup on November 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM

He was previously a political consultant? I guess that gig didn’t work out too well for him.

Kermit on November 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM

KingGold on November 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Very few on the right even like Erickson. Very few were encouraging him to run. In that light, your comment is pretty stupid. The trouble with KingGold is not that he’s ignorant; it’s just that he knows so much that isn’t so.

Also, if Erickson had run and suffered a crushing primary defeat, wouldn’t that have illustrated somewhat the ability of “rightroots” primary voters to make wise decisions?

steebo77 on November 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Aw…He could have made it more of a fan-dance than a single 24 hour news cycle. I think it’s better to jump into the political fray while his kids are still too young to be horrified by Dear Ol’ Dad. It’s more important that his wife nixed the idea.

Maybe next time.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I usually would rather somebody younger, like Erickson, but as he’s out… Senator Herman Cain?

Gingotts on November 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I live in Chambliss’ district and there is no way Erickson would ever win.

moonsbreath on November 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM

may erick was hoping for the Palin vote/s

renalin on November 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Senator Herman Cain?

Gingotts on November 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Cain or Karen Handel. Both great options.

alwaysfiredup on November 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM

gatorboy on November 30, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Agreed. He likes complaining about everyone and everything. He would have found out right away that being an actual candidate is a lot harder than being an armchair quarterback.

bluegill on November 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM

may erick was hoping for the Palin vote/s
renalin on November 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Oh, dear. Let’s hope not. We saw how well relying on Palin’s dwindling base worked for Newt Gingrich.

bluegill on November 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Former chair of the kc fed as a republican senator. Great idea! /s

Erikson has his place in the blogosphere, definitely not in the senate.

LaughterJones on December 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I wonder if Erick will try to hit the ban button if someone in the debate says something that he doesn’t like (just like he does at Redstate.com)?

antifederalist on December 1, 2012 at 9:14 AM

By the way, no one in the Senatorial debate should quote a fact checker in the debate or Erick click his coveted ban button:

antifederalist on December 1, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Being banned from RedState would be a sign of intelligent life on Earth, if it wasn’t so easy to be banned. This is an example of the echo chamber gone mad.

I think Erick should reconsider. Of course, he’d have to leave CNN, and probably step down as editor of RedState. But it would be so much more entertaining. And isn’t that the business he’s actually in, entertainment?

RINOs are people too on December 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Think I could win with an ad like that?

radjah shelduck on November 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Needs more .50 cal, but yes.

TexasDan on December 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM