Green Room

The joys of a “child on the fringe”

posted at 12:31 pm on November 29, 2012 by

This may be the best read of all today, which mostly (but not entirely) doesn’t pertain to politics.  Cristina Nehring offers a painfully honest look at herself before and after the birth of her special-needs daughter.  There are many compelling points Nehring makes, but this is one of the best:

It is sometimes said—and Solomon’s book often echoes this bias—that autism is mysterious, Down syndrome is not. Autists are prodigies, introverts, misunderstood; people with Down syndrome are just dumb and dull. And yet, Eurydice has always been mysterious to me. To this day she does not speak—or, rather, she does not speak any publicly recognized language. But she has an enormous amount to say, uncanny capacities for observation, and startling social intelligence. In the French-English-German universe she inhabits, she has invented a vernacular all her own in which she makes orations so self-assured, well-inflected, and precisely punctuated by rhetorical gesticulation that strangers often inquire which language it is she’s speaking.

Wherever she goes, she brings people together—imperiously gesturing to cantankerous couples to sit down together and lifting their palms onto each others’ thighs, reconciling warring classmates by joining their hands, and charming child-leery adults with flirty smiles and studious imitations of their idiosyncrasies. Her gifts are the opposite of my own: Where I am shy, she is bold; where I am good with (known) words, she is good with drama, dance, and music; where I am frightened of groups, she loves them, and the children in her preschool compete hard to sit by her side at lunchtime as the nurses in her hospital petitioned to be assigned to her room.

Am I “cheerily generalizing” as Solomon says of other Down syndrome parents, “from a few accomplishments” of my child? Perhaps I am. But one thing I’ve learned these last four years that possibly Solomon has not: All of our accomplishments are few. All of our accomplishments are minor: my scribblings, his book, the best lines of the best living poets. We embroider away at our tiny tatters of insight as though the world hung on them, when it is chiefly we ourselves who hang on them. Often a dog or cat with none of our advanced skills can offer more comfort to our neighbor than we can. (Think: Would you rather live with Shakespeare or a cute puppy?) Each of us has the ability to give only a little bit of joy to those around us. I would wager Eurydice gives as much as any person alive.

Be sure to read it all.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I know they say if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all…

But Obama can die of gonorrhea and rot in hell (to borrow a phrase.)

Oh… good read, btw, Ed

SAMinVA on November 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Blessings counted.

juanito on November 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

“Clearly, this child would have been better off had she been aborted.” –Planned Parenthood

Shump on November 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Very insightful.

Reminds me of:

As for man, his days are like grass;
he flourishes like a flower of the field;
for the wind passes over it, and it is gone,
and its place knows it no more.

GWB on November 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I also enjoyed George Will’s recent column about his son, which does have a more political slant.

JeremiahJohnson on November 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I read it all yesterday, and it was chilling to read some of the comments that were posted. Some people were agreeing with Peter Singer that parents should have the right to kill (their word!) disabled or otherwise “imperfect’ babies up to 1 year after birth. One guy said outright that the author was being selfish in wasting healthcare resources on this baby.

JoAnn1965 on November 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Top Pick

“Don’t take away my health care or you die.”

Top Pick

“We must all do our best to get rid of this tyrant.”

Rosenstein: Comey broke with DoJ norms on memo leak.

“Nobody has ever accused me of pulling any weapon on them.”

“Fourteen people had stab wounds, cuts and bruises, with two of the injured surviving critical stab wounds.”

Okay… you first.

“We should repeal it and replace, and we shouldn’t leave town until this is complete.”

“He feels like he is being thrown under the bus …”

“McCain has always been a fighter”

Ed Morrissey Jul 20, 2017 8:41 AM

“Cancer doesn’t know what it’s up against.”

They may be on to something

How capitalism averted the bee-pocalypse

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 9:31 PM

“there are more honeybee colonies in the country today than in nearly 25 years.”

CBO releases estimate on Obamacare repeal

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 8:31 PM

“The number of people who are uninsured would increase by 17 million in 2018, compared with the number under current law.”

Kasich: Fix Obamacare with more spending

Jason Hart Jul 19, 2017 8:01 PM

Ohio Gov. John Kasich wants Congress to “fix” Obamacare’s insurance exchanges with more federal spending

“This is a momentous decision.”

“One was told that she—her skin was too light and that she needed to listen to people of darker colored skin…”

Disruptor?

Time off without pay for play

The new DOJ guidelines on asset forfeiture are obscene

Taylor Millard Jul 19, 2017 5:01 PM

Guilty until proven innocent.

“We’re just wondering what happened there.”

“This is an attempt at a political intervention.”

The blame game

“Inaction is not an option.”

“You have no feelings. You Christians are all racists.”

Whoflubdits.

It would at least be a start

Noor lawyers up — for good reason.

Still losing ground.