Green Room

Who says you can’t see an NFL game cheap?

posted at 2:46 pm on November 28, 2012 by

OK, OK, I have to admit using a flexible assumption in the headline.  Does a Jets-Cardinals game count as professional football?  If so, the Jets have a deal for you — in fact, about 7700 of them:

Who says that it costs an arm and a leg to attend an NFL game?

Well, it usually does, but that’s not the case for this weekend’s game at MetLife Stadium.

Gang Green, coming off an embarrassing defeat to the Patriots on Thanksgiving night, is hosting the lowly Cardinals on Sunday in their second-to-last home game of the season, barring an improbable run to the playoffs.

How much will it cost you,the fan, to attend this game?

As of Wednesday morning, tickets were selling for as low as $18 on StubHub, and 7,770 tickets were still available.

Call now to make sure you get your tickets! Or tomorrow.  Or Friday. Or …

I kid, of course, but this is the free market at work.  If you win games, you sell tickets.  If not, well … you won’t even clear for local broadcast. As a former LA Rams fan, I know exactly how that works.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Doesn’t Jets – Cardinals violate the Geneva Convention?

rbj on November 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM

While you might get a price like that on Stub-Hub or some other site you can find on SeatGeek.com, you’re not going to get a deal like that on the NFL Ticket Exchange — the league and partner Tickemaster refuse to re-sell any game tickets below face-value, no matter how much of a dog the game is and how much market forces decide the seat is only worth $18 (and given the way both the Jets and Cards have played over the past six weeks, this seat should carry the highest ticket price of any at Met Life Stadium this Sunday).

jon1979 on November 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM

and many of those Jets fans are now really really vying for Tim Tebow to get in the game. maybe even Allahpundit???

ted c on November 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM

The natives are restless.

a capella on November 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM

As a true Cards fan this hurts…but completely understandable.

nextgen_repub on November 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM

E
A
G
L
E
S

EAGLES!

::puts bag over head::

corujodp on November 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM

That’s $18 more than I would pay.

strictnein on November 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Billionaire team owners are still billionaires — parking your car is still 30 bucks — a beer is still 10 bucks for a 12 oz. cup — a small soda is still 4 bucks — hot dogs are still 5 bucks — a tiny sack of peanuts is still 4 bucks — a snickers bar is still 4 bucks — and even 18 bucks admission is still $17.50 too much to watch a bunch of ‘roided out multimillionaire cry babies who work just a few months of the entire year playing a children’s game — slinging a pig skin covered pointy ball back and forth for 3 hours.

So-called ‘Professional Sports’ is anything and everything but. It’s a helluva scam and there’s a helluva lot of people all too happy to be scammed of their hard earned cash. Including the taxpayers who have to pay a billion dollars for a new stadium because the billionaire team owners know what colossal chumps sports fans are to their very core — and they donate heavily to the ‘city leaders’ and politicians.

Yeah. Right. Screw that.

FlatFoot on November 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I heard a good one about the Sanchez play where he ran into his own lineman and fumbled.
“Apparently, Sanchez really doesn’t know an @ss from a hole in the line…” bah dum ba

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 6:44 PM

FlatFoot on November 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Ya – I’ve always thought this society has its priorities upside down.
I think professional athletes and actors – any entertainer really – should make minimum wage.
Military, police, firemen, engineers, and scientists – the people who are actually a benefit to society – should be the ones making big bucks.

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM

If there’s another classic Butt6 Bumble, I’d pay to see it. Jets are the NFL’s comedic sideshow.

philw1776 on November 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

‘Bout the going rate at Heinz too, I think. Heh.

BKeyser on November 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Can these guys reenact a game people would like to see? Super Bowl III for example. Jets Colts. Joe Namath.

RINOs are people too on November 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Chiefs are ….

I have no words, really. You can’t give tickets away.

alwaysfiredup on November 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM

RINOs are people too on November 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Hey, why not? Hollywood can’t seem to come up with any new movie ideas – all sequels and remakes. Maybe it could work for the NFL also – and in this case we might get a better entertainment product.

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

So far – pretty happy with the Manning Broncos jersey I bought….

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Yeah. Right. Screw that.

FlatFoot on November 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Ayuh. The last time I went to a live game was the Bronco’s second year in the new Mile High stadium – for my son’s birthday. That night cost me over $250 total (with cheap end zone seats) and we still ended up watching the game on TV (the jumbotrons) because we couldn’t see anything on the field. I can see more of the game, and be more comfortable, with better food and beer for a lot cheaper by staying home and watching it on TV,

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

So far – pretty happy with the Manning Broncos jersey I bought….

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

He became my NFL nemesis as soon as he signed with the Broncos. Move over Tom Brady, there’s someone new to despise.

alwaysfiredup on November 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

OK, OK, I have to admit using a flexible assumption in the headline. Does a Jets-Cardinals game count as professional football? If so, the Jets have a deal for you — in fact, about 7700 of them:

ow

hawkdriver on November 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

alwaysfiredup on November 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Well, you won’t like me then. My #1 is Broncos, #2 is Patriots.
Grew up in New England, but I’ve been in Colorado 30 years.
However, based on family locations, we also cheer for Vikings, Packers, Bucs, and Saints – depending on who they’re playing.

I’ve always liked Manning’s commercials as well, so I was happy when the Broncos got him.

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Although my wife didn’t think he would survive more than 3 games. she predicted a 6 and 10 season.

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Throw in Tebow mowing my lawn and changing the oil in my truck on Saturday and we may just have a deal.

Joe Mama on November 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Tim Tebow is such a blessing!

Alpha_Male on November 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Cheer for all those teams? AND the Vikes & Pack? Pick a lane buddy!

Go Bears! Go NFC Norris!

mdenis39 on November 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Cheer for all those teams? AND the Vikes & Pack? Pick a lane buddy!
Go Bears! Go NFC Norris!
mdenis39 on November 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM

You missed my earlier post. #1 Broncos, #2 Patriots.
Hated Cutler even when he was a Bronco…..

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM

What about the $37 dollar nachos? That’s not so cheap.

trigon on November 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Well, you won’t like me then. My #1 is Broncos, #2 is Patriots.

dentarthurdent on November 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Funny how you don’t have family where losing teams play, isn’t it?
Or do you find that Winners have a large Region of Influence, while Losers have a small RoI?

rwenger43 on November 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I wonder if prices might rise if they switched the game to something different, say baseball. Everyone *knows* the Jets can’t play football, but at least with a baseball game (or air hockey? maybe chess?) they have a chance of stumbling into an average performance.

SoRight on November 29, 2012 at 9:20 AM

For a moment, I thought it might be worth it.

Then I realized that you said WE would pay THEM for the tickets, not that they would pay us to watch the game.

Never mind.

psrch on November 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Funny how you don’t have family where losing teams play, isn’t it?

rwenger43 on November 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Maybe the proximity of my family makes them winners… ;)
It comes and goes. I’ve been through some bad years with the Patriots and Donkeys, er… I mean Broncos. I lost bad on a bet with a co-worker from Chicago on the 86 Superbowl XX.
My wife’s Mom is from Minnesota, so that tied us to the Vikings, and even though they’re rivals, my wife liked the Packers because of Favre… until he switched to the Vikings – then she turned against the Vikes because she saw Favre as a traitor. Oh what a tangled web we weave….
But fundamentally, I like watching a good game, good teams, and good players – whoever they may be.

dentarthurdent on November 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM