Green Room

Video: Is marijuana harmless?

posted at 1:46 pm on November 28, 2012 by

People seem to be warming to the idea that the federal government should get out of marijuana prohibition — and there are good federalism arguments to make, Steven Crowder says in his latest video. However, it’s a mistake to say that marijuana is entirely harmless, either. Steven uses humor to make a serious argument about whether some legalization arguments are misguided:

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

hatecraft on November 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I hadn’t heard about pot causing schizophrenia. Makes sense. Pot smokers aren’t the saniest people

terryannonline on November 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Just watch “Reefer Madness”, its very informative:

bernverdnardo1 on November 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Nothing is entirely harmless. Nothing.

besser tot als rot on November 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

That older(?) guy in the blue jacket was a hoot.
Back in my days in Boulder, CO I think I saw his dad a few times.

Jabberwock on November 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Well shoot. I had hoped that marijuana would be the one mind-altering substance that wouldn’t alter my mind – The Onion.

DrAllecon on November 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM

The war on drugs, due to its creation of opportunity for criminal gangs, has killed as many people as a conventional war. And it has certainly killed more people, by violence, and malnutrition and disease brought by the poverty resulting from mis-spent money, than the drugs themselves have.

Enough.

M240H on November 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM

terryannonline on November 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Yeah – if you’re predisposed to it pot will bring it right to the forefront. In general, while I support legalization, teenagers who use the drug stand to screw themselves up, in the same way that kids who drink at 15 stand to screw themselves up. Legalization should include the same restrictions on youth use that alcohol and tobacco receive.

ernesto on November 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

ernesto on November 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

And a better way to determine if drivers are under the influence.

I am NOT for its legalization.
Booze is trouble enough at work. Legalized pot would bring a whole new problem in. And I, and company, would be the ones responsible for taking care of it.

Jabberwock on November 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Is 40% alcohol entirely harmless? No. So then we shouldn’t legalize that, either? Cigarettes? Even fast food is not entirely harmless. Abuse it and your health will pay a big price. So why is it nanny statism for the government to tell us we can’t be trusted to use booze, cigarettes, or fatty foods with lots of salt and sugar, but it is wise government to tell use we can’t smoke pot. Or any other substance for that matter.

As Bill Whittle pointed out, either you believe your story, or you don’t.

keep the change on November 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

If smoking tobacco is bad, why isn’t smoking marijuana?

Mitoch55 on November 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Stoner bashin time.

This falls under the same category as banning Big Gulps in NY. I think soda is terrible for you, worse than pot, but the argument he discusses at the end is the right one. Not governments job.

Dash on November 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Pot smoke is worse for lungs and throats than cigarette smoke … by MILES. I get a kick out of the fact that people seem to think that smoking cigarettes is the world’s worst activity but that smoking pot – much harsher and thicker smoke that people keep down much longer than cigarette smoke – is harmless. It would be hysterical if it weren’t so pathetic.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on November 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Stoner bashin time.

Dash on November 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Well you DID notice in the video that many people supported legalization of MJ AND the banning of BigGulps, right?

Thought it was funny to hear.

StevenCrowder on November 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM

terryannonline on November 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

To be clear, I believe her position was that schizophrenia is a genetic condition, but that pot usage accelerates the onset.

Ed Morrissey on November 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

You guys ever watch a Crowder video, on weed!?!

nextgen_repub on November 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Thought it was funny to hear.

StevenCrowder on November 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I caught that.
The young guy with the “Touche” response was the only person with his lightbulb lit.

The guy with blue jacket was a real piece of work. You had a lot of fun with him, no ?

Jabberwock on November 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

… It would be hysterical if it weren’t so pathetic.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on November 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

But do we need to criminalize it to underscore what a poor choice it is?

M240H on November 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

If smoking tobacco is bad, why isn’t smoking marijuana?

Mitoch55 on November 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I’ve always wondered this contradiction myself. You can’t have it both ways.

thebrokenrattle on November 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

But do we need to criminalize it to underscore what a poor choice it is?

M240H on November 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

It IS illegal, already.

We need to get rid of these ridiculous, un-Cosntitutional bans on cigarette smoking – which is totally legal and has a long tradition in American society and for which I am entitled to choose to do and a private property owner is entitled to choose to allow or disallow. Blanket cigarette bans that trample private property rights are beyond offensive.

Of course, the way we’re going we’ll end up with a Dutch sort of idiocy – it’s okay to smoke a joint in a coffee house but you get walloped with a fine if you light up a cigarette or mix any tobacco in with your hash (which is disgusting, anyway).

How people have come to believe that tobacco leaves are naturally the worst carcinogens on Earth and yet pot leaves and buds are devoid of carcinogens when lit and smoked heavily is among the most preposterous of positions that this society takes (and that’s no mean feat). it just shows how disingenuous and despicable the left is. They hate cigarettes because tobacco represents their parents to them, whom they hate and who hate them … as anyone with, at least, half a brain would.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on November 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Is marijuana harmless?

Is being rabidly anti-marijuana harmless?

Does being anti-marijuana cause paranoia?

MichaelGabriel on November 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

And in the geographic islands of new decriminalization, is use increased amongst the denizens, or does the island’s laws attract new, so-inclined residents.

And, prior to decriminalization, were usage rates commensurate with the rest of the nations, or was Ann-frickin’-Arbor stoner-central already?

M240H on November 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Thought it was funny to hear.

StevenCrowder on November 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM

How long have you been waiting to use the uranium is natural statement?

LoganSix on November 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on November 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Yeah… but, do we need to criminalize either to underscore what a poor choice they are?

M240H on November 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

M240H on November 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

You seem to be completely missing the point. When did I say anything about criminalization of any sort? You’re having your own private conversation so I can’t figure out why you try to address it to me.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on November 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on November 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

My apologies. You related the physical damage caused by marijuana-smoking, and that of tobacco, and I msread your ability to answer a simple question about how to best inform the public about those hazards.

M240H on November 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

“And you Jews put ‘em there!”

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Abby Adams on November 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM

One problem is that so many adults, and parents, believe that pot is harmless, that they allow their kids to do it. Don’t think so? Ask around.

And one problem with this behavior is that it has a much greater effect on kids than it does on adults. It chemically stunts intellectual growth and maturity among developing minds.

And it is a gateway even if you don’t believe it’s addictive (when it actually is, if used frequently enough.) Much like someone who drinks to get drunk and eventually switches from beer to bourbon (beer takes too long and bloats you; bourbon- quick, less expensive, and you can still pig out on wings all the while enjoying a more intense buzz), the weed high isn’t so great compared to that of cocaine or opiates. But unlike alcohol, a teenager who drinks beer at a few parties and then takes a shot of tequila when they’re already loopy on a few Heinekens, doesn’t become instantly addicted to Cuervo. Switch that over to the teen who’s hit a bong and then someone says, “Hey man, try snorting this H”. That one hit, the first time, changes their life forever, and in almost every case results in an addict.

And once they’re addicted, and can’t hold a job or continue to go to classes, the desire -the need- doesn’t go away. They still have to have it. Not even to get high, necessarily, but to feel “well”. To feel “normal”. And when you have a physical and mental addiction to something that costs money, and don’t have money, you find ways to get money. Guess what? Another victim. Maybe a parent. Maybe a friend or neighbor. Family member. Or a gas station. Liquor store. The addiction doesn’t go away when the money runs out.

No. Not everyone goes through this. But you rarely find a heroin user hanging out with people who don’t use some sort of drug. Users invariably gravitate to users. And exposure is everything. The younger the user, the less likely they’ll have the wherewithal to say no.

But, what the hell. It’s just pot.

BKeyser on November 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Ed Morrissey on November 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

She does say that, and also that it tends to worsen the symptoms. But in the full interview, she does talk about how some people with mild anxiety disorders have seen marijuana act as a trigger mechanism for much more severe mental illness. Also that chronic smoking of MJ can in and of itself result in some sort of mental disorder. All of which is backed up by decades of data.

SMOKE WEED, BAN BIG GULPS!

StevenCrowder on November 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM

The long term dangers of weed have been know for many years but it’s just now showing that they may have permanence if you smoked when very young. This subject really interests me because my state has just legalized medical use. At first I was against it but after doing some research I found that there may be some benefits especially for people with high blood pressure, glaucoma and extreme anxiety. I know there are already drugs for those but some have less than desirable side effects. I have all of the above as does my father and sister. On my next doctor visit I’m going to ask his opinion on it. I couldn’t use it as I do secret work and I doubt my employer would allow it. On the other hand my dad is 78 years old so he really doesn’t have any long term side effect worries and it may help him. My sister is in her mid 50s and runs her own business so she wouldn’t have any worries. Should it be out right legal? I don’t think so.

Frank Enstine on November 28, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Frank Enstine on November 28, 2012 at 2:54 PM

An incredibly reasonable post. Though statistically, an overwhelming amount of physicians do not approve of it for medical use. THC has proven to be beneficial for appetite, but Marijuana contains over 400 active compounds, 60 of which are cannabinoids. That’s why MJ itself (as opposed to THC) will likely never be an approved FDA drug.

That being said, being high will definitely make one feel better.

StevenCrowder on November 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM

If smoking tobacco is bad, why isn’t smoking marijuana?

Mitoch55 on November 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

You would be surprised at how many potheads have told me that smoking pot actually “cleans the lungs” out of harmful stuff that cigarettes put in there. Seriously. Morons actually believe this.

ButterflyDragon on November 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM

cannabinoids.
StevenCrowder on November 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Pot Heads or Stoners may now be passe.

Cannabinoids. Just rolls off the lips.

Jabberwock on November 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Best Crowder in a while.

On the whole, my view on legalization is that unless and until we shut down the welfare state, libertarians and their leans-libertarian conservative friends ought to think long and hard about how many more deadbeats they want to support. Marijuana addiction will be declared an illness in due course and become a reason for medical disability. And they’ll probably get free medical weed and EBT cards to help with the munchies.

TexasDan on November 28, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Kelly Ayotte says medical marijuana should go through an FDA approval process. Makes sense.

I have a friend who’s been smoking pot daily from age 12 for the last 40 years. In my humble opinion, it’s stunted his emotional growth in a significant way.

Paul-Cincy on November 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

The other fun upside of legalization would be the regulation of its production and sale–and if the legalization argument wins on the basis of the Feds not having the authority to regulate any of this stuff, it extends not only to other illicit drugs but the production of regular medicines as well. Why should pharmaceutical companies have to go through an onerous approval process if “recreational” drugs do not? And if there is a regulatory process envisioned for those–what is the acceptance criteria for, say, meth? Will it be prescribed so that people don’t overdose?

We’ll end up right back at square one, where you can maybe have your pot in some diluted, regulated form, but bath salts are still going to be street drugs, as will “unregulated” pot, with the same criminal distribution network.

TexasDan on November 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Paul-Cincy on November 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Exactly.

TexasDan on November 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM

ButterflyDragon on November 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I worked with a guy years ago that was a chain smoker to the point of never having one out of his hand if he could help it. I use to tell him his lungs must have been nothing but black goo. He laughed and said that every time he felt trouble breathing he would smoke a couple of joints and within two or three hours be hacking up a cup or two of brown goo. He felt it really cleaned him out. I lost track of him over 20 years ago so I don’t know how he is doing now.

Frank Enstine on November 28, 2012 at 3:28 PM

TexasDan on November 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM

YUP ! Placing regulations on the Mexican Cartels should be a hoot.

Taxing them will be even better.

Jabberwock on November 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Legalize it, but then make all crime associated with it, felonious. Also, drug test all social service recipients. If you smoke pot you should NOT be able to free load off us.

mattshu on November 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Thought it was funny to hear.

StevenCrowder on November 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I especially liked the sheepish look on the guys face that said everyone should be free to do whatever they want with their bodies when you said “Exept drink a Big Gulp”.

PatientWolf on November 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

PatientWolf on November 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

He replied, “touche’”.

/Display of intellectual honesty from the netherworld of his pot-induced haze. :lol:

Paul-Cincy on November 28, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Paul-Cincy on November 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

That’s what some of the new long term studies are showing. It really screws with brain development especially when used at a young age.

Frank Enstine on November 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM

He replied, “touche’”.

/Display of intellectual honesty from the netherworld of his pot-induced haze.

Paul-Cincy on November 28, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Yes, it was clear he recognized his double standard but sadly I doubt that realization will change his opinion on either subject.

PatientWolf on November 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM

It really screws with brain development especially when used at a young age.

Frank Enstine on November 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM

That suggests, per the doctor lady on the video and common scientific understanding, that the minimum age for smoking pot should be 25. That takes a lot of the fun (and market) out of it, though. College kids couldn’t smoke pot legally. That wipes out most of the market right there.

Paul-Cincy on November 28, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Trying to compare tobacco smoke to marijuana smoke is pretty stupid, actually. Nobody I know smokes them in the same quantities. I don’t think even Bob Marley would go through 50 joints a day, yet when I smoked, I’d regularly pound down two-and-a-half packs of Marlboros. I’d imagine that does far more health damage than splitting a doobie with a couple of friends.

notropis on November 28, 2012 at 4:05 PM

So what does Mr. Crowder think of Glenn Greenwald’s (not a fan) paper for the Cato Institute detailing the success Portugal has had with complete decriminalization? Their rates of recreational drug use are fractions of what ours are.

M240H on November 28, 2012 at 4:05 PM

bernverdnardo1 on November 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Watch this video, it’s very informative.

Mimzey on November 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Enough.

M240H on November 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Compared to what?

That said, what statistics are you basing those claims on…care to share?

Mimzey on November 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM

M240H on November 28, 2012 at 4:05 PM

We are not Portugal..not in size or culture, nor compilation of statistics.

Mimzey on November 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM