Green Room

Video: Is marijuana harmless?

posted at 1:46 pm on November 28, 2012 by

People seem to be warming to the idea that the federal government should get out of marijuana prohibition — and there are good federalism arguments to make, Steven Crowder says in his latest video. However, it’s a mistake to say that marijuana is entirely harmless, either. Steven uses humor to make a serious argument about whether some legalization arguments are misguided:

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Look, here is the truth of the matter, I know you won’t believe me but I’ll say it anyway. People who use MJ are not really bad drivers, less dangerous than say a tired driver or someone on a cell phone. The myth of the high on pot danger on the highway drivers is just not true. – steel guy on November 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Give me a break. I don’t care if you want to smoke MJ. Just don’t drive until you are no longer under the influence of the drug. The person you kill just might be yourself.

SC.Charlie on November 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM

No, I mean from just smoking too much pot. You can certainly die from the ingestion of too much alcohol at one time, its called alcohol-poisoning.

SC.Charlie on November 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Mitoch55 on November 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I find it amusing those defending pot, how many of those same people whould defend smoking tobacco?

A vile substance being taxed out of exsistance… to be replaced by one with no regulations or as much testing.. classic.

gdonovan on November 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM

But you think it’s no ones business to do those things right? Simply because you think they are harmful doesn’t really apply when using your own value system.

The comparison to brewing beer or wine is self limiting. Few people would buy home brewed alcohol.
The highest quality pot can be grown by a doofus with the right seeds and a bedroom.

Mimzey on November 28, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I just don’t need anyone telling me what to do, as long as I’m not hurting anyone. I’m old enough to make my own choices, and the government ought not infringe on my liberties.

Also, home brewed wine and beer are just as good as anything you can buy in a store if you know what you are doing and homegrown pot is not as easy as you think

steel guy on November 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM

What are you basing that claim on?

The “danger” exposure of a person on a cell phone is limited by the length of the call..A “danger” exposure of a person high on pot extends for the duration of the drive.
How about a person on a cell phone who is also stoned.
How about a tired person who is also high?

Mimzey on November 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM

And how many of those who die from alcohol poisoning were also smoking pot (an anti-nausea aid)? Overiding the body’s natural defense of vomiting out excessive alcohol. – Mitoch55 on November 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Conclusion, all drugs are dangerous. Common sense is a necessity when using any drug.

If you want to attempt to kill yourself go get a bottle of aspirin and take the whole bottle. It is a horrible way to die, if you die. And, if you don’t die your liver and kidneys will be forever damaged.

You can always get a feel good doctor who will prescribe you legal drugs that will accomplish the same damn thing.

I take Lipitor and my doctor just loves to monitor my liver function, which always comes back fine.

SC.Charlie on November 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

steel guy on November 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Kicking the dog for fun..cooking meth in the kitchen and defrauding an insurance company is also none of anyone business. So I take it you wouldn’t stick your nose into the business of those who do those things?

I’ve had much home brewed beer and wine. Wouldn’t buy it when a good IPA is available at a reasonable price.
Growing pot would be like being able to product the best single malt scotch and sell it for a premium price every 6 months. And it would sell.

I know exactly how hard it is to grow quality pot…not very. It is all genetics..good soil, air exchange and light exposure.

Mimzey on November 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

SC.Charlie on November 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I’m not proud to admit it but back throughout my 20s (I’m in my 50s now) I would light up every morning on my way to work. It seems rather foolish as I think back on those days but it’s true, thousands of times. The truth is it never impaired my driving, in fact I believe it made me a more cautious driver. You don’t have to believe me but I’m telling you it’s the truth.

steel guy on November 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Mimzey on November 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Libertarians are not anarchists we believe in laws like anyone else. Personal liberty is important even if you happen to disagree with how another choses to exercise it.

steel guy on November 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM

steel guy on November 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I realize that.
My only point was in sharing an observation that seemed to have a blind spot in your stated belief system.
For your position to be consistent, not only would you turn a blind eye to someone practicing the mentioned behaviors..kicking the dog, etc, but you would have to come to the defense of the person if someone else tried to alter that persons choice to kick the dog.
Would you?

Mimzey on November 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

The dope that’s being smoked, my friend, is you.

29Victor on November 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

The victimless crime. If only there were such a thing. There will always be people who argue they can work, drive, be a student, and do everything on drugs just as well as someone else who isn’t on drugs. Given the choice, an employer, a teacher, and other drivers will pick the drug free person every time. They just aren’t given the choice.

There is no island where drug addicts live where they only harm themselves.

STL_Vet on November 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

steel guy on November 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

The truth is, you believe it never impaired your driving because those under the influence don’t think it impairs them. Alcohol or drugs, that’s why they do it.

Mitoch55 on November 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

steel guy on November 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Same here with Vodka. It actually made me a better driver. I’m telling you it’s the truth. /

sharrukin on November 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

steel guy on November 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM

How in the heck are you not hurting someone each and every time you smoke POT????!!!!?????

Unless you are a complete and total recluse, single, make ZERO contact with any human being beyond typing on your keyboard in a forum such as this.

The reality is we have a substance that changes people’s behavior when smoked…..far more severe than simply smoking cigs or cigars.

It is much like drinking Alcoholic beverages….Yes…Alcoholic beverages are legalized…..kinda….But they are BANNED when it comes to driving a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol.

I never see any language for the POT legalization proposals regarding operating machinery, or driving a car…or etc. after smoking POT.

I’ve seen plenty of people smoke POT and afterwards they are DAZED, in a FOG, slurring their words…..Eerily similar to an out and out drunk stumbling around.

Not sure what a SON or DAUGHTER thinks of his/her father or mother smoking POT…. Pretty sure it destroys families.

Varchild on November 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM

steel guy on November 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

sharrukin on November 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Same here when I put on a Blindfold, tie my hands behind my back, and lean my head out the window… I become a much better driver!

Varchild on November 28, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Smoking ANYTHING is harmful, this should be obvious to anyone but a hardcore liberal.

MelonCollie on November 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

MelonCollie on November 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

One of the first things you hear out of the mouthes of leftist defenders of POT regarding how harmful it is….

(in best liberal voice) “What? No way…man….POT cures Asthma!”

I tell him that POT basically cures every single disease/ailment that there is cause once you smoke it you are so completely out of it you never even know you have the disease/ailment….

But that doesn’t mean you don’t.

It’s like bumping your head….but then someone pinches your arm…..Your mind focuses on the ARM pain forgetting about the HEAD pain…. But eventually you realize your head hurts…cause you still did in fact bump it.

You are still in fact Asthmatic….But you forget about your trouble breathing cause your mind is in DAZE.

Varchild on November 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Just use a vaporizer. No combustion.

hatecraft on November 28, 2012 at 11:09 PM