Green Room

Gov. Brewer has decided against setting up an O-Care exchange for Arizona

posted at 7:21 pm on November 28, 2012 by

With Gov. Jan Brewer making it official on Wednesday, Arizona joined the list of states electing not to take on the expensive administrative nightmare that these ObamaCare insurance exchanges are quickly turning out to be.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has decided against creating a state-run health insurance exchange to implement a key part of President Barack Obama’s federal health care law.

Brewer’s decision announced Wednesday means the federal government will set up an online marketplace for the state, offering subsidized private health coverage to the middle class. The governor reiterated her unwavering opposition to the health care overhaul, and said there were too many costs and questions associated with a state-run exchange.

“The federal government would maintain oversight and control over virtually every aspect of our exchange, limiting our ability to meet the unique needs of Arizonans and the Arizona insurance market,” she said in a statement.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Subsidized? It’s still going to be expensive and there will be OOP costs, too. Someone else posted that he while he has insurance, he can not afford to see the doctor due to the high deductible and co-payments and OOP expenses. Wait until it really kicks in and you won’t be able to get appts.

Blake on November 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I am pretty sure I read there is NO funding mechanism in dogeatercare for the feds to set up exchanges. 18 States now? That sounds like a lot of costs shifted to the House of Rep to approve.

wolly4321 on November 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Love you, Jan!

bluegill on November 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Every time I see that EJ next to green room post, I think it’s EJ Dionne and I reach for the bottle of bleach.

ButterflyDragon on November 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

ButterflyDragon on November 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

ditto

hillsoftx on November 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

ButterflyDragon on November 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Haven’t thought that before… but I do immediately think that AP must be Associated Propaganda Press.

Mr. Prodigy on November 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I heart Jan Brewer, she’s got spunk. Every time I read her name I recall the photo of her on the tarmac waiving her finger in VJ’s pool boys face.

You go girl!!!!!!

antipc on November 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Resistance is NOT futile.

Joe Mama on November 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Resistance is NOT futile.

Joe Mama on November 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Of course not. It’s voltage divided by current.

CurtZHP on November 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Get em Jan.
Hala

seesalrun2 on November 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Welcome to Arizona.

seesalrun2 on November 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Is there a nice chart anywhere showing what each state is doing about the Obamacare exchanges?

Theophile on November 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Good, at least I will be safe when I get back home.

astonerii on November 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM

*doing happy dance*

WHEEE!!!

JannyMae on November 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Good.

Just say NO to Obamacare. HELL NO.

petefrt on November 29, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Good.

Just say NO to Obamacare. HELL NO.

petefrt on November 29, 2012 at 5:14 AM

THIS

cmsinaz on November 29, 2012 at 5:57 AM

ButterflyDragon on November 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Well they do look strikingly similar to each other, admittedly.

CorporatePiggy on November 29, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I hope this thread isnt dead. But, I have a few questions I know that several states are not going to set up the exchanges so at what point is Obamacare effectively nullified?

ChunkyLover on November 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM

ChunkyLover on November 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM

This reminds me of when the federal government told states they would withhold funds if their speed limits exceeded 55. There were a few who refused to do it at the beginning, but then they all came around because they wanted those dollars. In fact a large majority of states were discussing not complying at all.

But you know what happened. In the end, Congress did rewrite the law, but overall what they wanted to accomplish was a done deal.

ButterflyDragon on November 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

wolly4321 on November 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

That’s cute how you think Obama will follow the law.

Obama will order the departments to spend the money on the federal exchanges just as they would have had they been state exchanges. House members will moan and whine about it, but will be powerless to do anything because they don’t control the Senate. And if someone takes it to court, the nine wise men in Washington will say that since Congress obviously meant the subsidies to apply to federal exchanges too, that it’s okay for the administration to pretend that’s what it says.

Shump on November 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Oklahoma also is not setting up exchanges…

You rock Mary!! and Cole!

Scrumpy on November 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

So now instead of having some control over it in their own state, they let the feds deign exclusively over its implementation… I don’t know if this was smart.

mythicknight on November 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Of course not. It’s voltage divided by current.

CurtZHP on November 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Nice!!

Kevin K. on November 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM

That’s cute how you think Obama will follow the law.

Shump on November 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

It’s cute how you went off on Wolly when he actually said absolutely nothing that you disagree with. The point you just made in your second paragraph is exactly the point that Wolly was making.

JannyMae on November 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM

mythicknight on November 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

There will be no control if it’s done at the state level, either, but it will cost time, money and resources, and what the feds put in place will not be ground in stone.

It would be much more stupid for a governor to comply with this.

JannyMae on November 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM

ButterflyDragon, one overlooked aspect of the Roberts decision is it took that withhold funds gambit off the table, at least in terms of Medicare / Medicaid funding.

SDN on November 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM

JannyMae on November 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Er… no. What he said, in its entirety, was:

He said that the House of Representatives would have to approve those shifted costs because there’s no mechanism in Obamacare to provide funding for federally-run exchanges. My point is that the House will never get the opportunity to approve or reject those shifted costs, because Obama will just do it by fiat and the courts will back him up.

Shump on November 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Love you, Jan!

bluegill on November 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Smart and GILF-y is a good combination.

UltimateBob on November 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Top Pick

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

Top Pick

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM