Green Room

Bill Whittle: Why don’t Republicans commit to their own story?

posted at 10:18 am on November 25, 2012 by

I’m a few days late on this video, but as brilliant as Bill Whittle normally is, he’s even more so in this speech given at David Horowitz’ Restoration Weekend a week ago. If we can’t commit to our own message and defend it in the media, why would we expect voters to support it?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Whittle says he doesn’t have the temperament to be president. In my book, he has the exact temperament….

The slack jaws across the Washington elite would only be outnumbered by the puckered sphincters of the enemies that would wish us harm. He is one of the best at clearly elucidating conservative values and vision.

More like him!

VA_gent on November 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM

In your own words..what should one say in order to be an effective “gatherer’ of conservatives?

What makes you think it’s possible? There is no message or candidate or any other silver bullet that’s going to suddenly sweep the country up in a wave of conservatism. Your peddling a hope for this country that’s long gone. Quit looking at what just happened as a political problem that can be reversed with the right message or messenger. Despite the economic and fiscal mess we’re in, people are rejecting conservatism and looking even more to big government to be their savior. This is now the country we live in and pinning your hopes on some election or engaging in the fantasies of Bill Whittle isn’t going to change that.

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM

So you have no solution. That’s fine. I offered one weeks ago, not long after the election:

Let the GOP wither on the vine just like the Whigs did in the 1850′s. If the RNC will not represent our standard bearers, we’ll have to find someone else. But there has to be someone else out there who will believe in the platform that the GOP now espouses. I refuse to believe that there isn’t…I just hope that we can avoid the bloodshed that came with the sudden Republican ascendancy in 1861.

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

The onus isn’t on us to tell you what you SHOULD tell these people to get their votes. The onus is on you to face objective reality and finally admit that a majority of voters doesn’t want anything to do with conservatism and that no amount of “messaging” or “restoration” is going to change it.

S.P. Link on November 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I reject that notion completely and utterly. Not necessarily because I believe you’re wrong (which I do), but because I am a person of principle. If only 10% of Americans believe in freedom at some point, hell, if only 1% of Americans do, that is the remnant I will stand with. “I give up” is no way to live, and I will never be persuaded that’s the best course of action no matter how bad things get.

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM

So you have nothing. I thought as much.

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

lowandslow is a known troll and is best ignored.

Mr. Arrogant on November 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Fine, but don’t think for a minute it will lead to some great awakening and this new conservative party will win elections. Those days are over, that nation is over.

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM

“I give up” is about the least American most un-American tack to take in these dark times. But I really can’t blame anyone for being fatigued to that point. Thank God I’m not there yet.

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM

what did/does romney really believe? no one knows…not even him…THAT was/is the problem!

Pragmatic on November 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Would love to see this guy in the WH

Pomai on November 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Name me ONE OBJECTIVE THING you believe would sway the Free Obamaphone Lady to vote for a conservative.

Just one.

S.P. Link on November 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Thats a bit of a strawman.
There is nothing to change the minds of some people. You can’t reason a person out of a position that wasn’t reasoned into in the first place.
It’s not just the people who didn’t vote for Romney, it’s the ideological prison that some people put themselves in that prevent them from acting counter to their brainwashing.
Obama lost 6 million voters from the 08 cycle..and the eligible voter numbers rose. These people didn’t vote for O this time…but could vote for anyone else.

The problem is not the messenger, it’s the means and effectiveness in which one has the ability to get the message out. When the left controls the media, movies, music, news, the universities and schools..and when those show that maybe that is not enough..they resort to outright lies and fraud, it’s a long tough row to hoe to enlighten people.
Demonizing someone who is an honest and ethical man just plays into their plan, whether that is a position reasoned into or not.

What are some examples of a strategy to combat this situation, if you would suggest some?

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM

what did/does romney really believe? no one knows…not even him…

Pragmatic on November 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM

What are you basing that outrageous claim on?

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I’m there. I have zero tolerance left for lefties, idiots, or ideologues.
So I have that goin’ for me.

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I’m there. I have zero tolerance left for lefties, idiots, or ideologues.
So I have that goin’ for me.

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM

You’ll have to tolerate a lot more of all-of-the-above if you’re just giving up the battle. :P

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM

What do you think is going to happen? Until enough conservative understand there is no “saving” the nation and start to consider separating themselves from the leftists that have taken it over, there isn’t a whole lot that can be done. This is all new territory, there is no model we can look back on and determine from that what works. I have no desire to share a nation with the current majority of leftists and statists, but until something more happens then pining for an electoral savior, I’ll have to be a separatist in my mind.

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Which do you think has more appeal to an ever more depraved electorate?

S.P. Link on November 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

You’re buying into the con imo.
The objective reality is that liberals make up about 20% of the population. Obama got about 25% of the vote of eligible voters. That means that the vast majority of people either didn’t agree with his shtick or didn’t see enough difference between the two candidates (a position much encouraged by some). Of the percentage of people that voted, he won by a couple percent.

“Its not the power you have..its the power your enemies think you have.”

Sun Tzu.

Don’t fall for it.

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 3:47 PM

You say I’m wrong. Forget what to do about it – do you at least sagree with my assessment of the current majority of the electorate?

S.P. Link on November 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Apparently not. I’m not ready to give up the fight yet.

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I’m not giving up the battle..I’m sharpening my aim. :)

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM

The objective reality is that liberals make up about 20% of the population.

Are you kidding me? Good grief, liberals make up at least 20% of the Republican Party.

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Hence my desire to let the GOP wither on the vine. Many here have asserted even that would make no difference, but I have a feeling they forgot (or never really learned) how sorely divided America was leading up to the election of 1860.

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Because you know conservatives don’t have an answer. We have nothing to offer people who prefer iniquity. We never did.

S.P. Link on November 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM

This is where you and I part ways, Splink. Conservatives have always had something to offer. It’s called, “Genuine conservatism.” We need to find someone who is capable of living it as well as they preach it. Romney wasn’t the guy. McCain wasn’t the guy. George W. Bush wasn’t the guy. George H.W. Bush wasn’t the guy. Bloody hell, Richard M. Nixon would have been a liberal wet dream if not for that pesky little Alger Hiss affair!

I do not believe the GOP, as it stands now, is a suitable vehicle for the kind of candidate conservatives need to field, ergo my desire to see them go the way of the Whigs. I am not advocating a third party to directly compete with the GOP. I am not advocating a mass exodus to the Constitution Party or the big-L Libertarian party (yet). But there will be a replacement if the GOP is allowed to wither on the vine, just like there was a replacement for the defunct Whig party in 1856. Conservatives had better take a heavy hand in forming that alternative NOW, before we get left in the dust. Then we can say about the GOP what Reagan said about the Democrats all those years ago: “I didn’t leave the party. The party left me.”

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 3:59 PM

IceCold on November 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Kataklysmic on November 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I’m sorry, but our fundamental message – if we’re to remain true Conservatives – will always amount to this: Hey, Obama voter, let us help you break your addiction to free stuff so you can earn your own bread, pay your own way and raise your own kids.

Ain’t happening.

I guess we’ve got nothing else to say to each other.

S.P. Link on November 25, 2012 at 4:07 PM

You left something out…actually a few things.

“Hey Obama voter, let us help you break your addiction to government charity so you can do what you want, earn your own bread at whatever job you want to work at, pay your own way, raise your kids the way you want them to turn out, and be wealthier than you could ever hope to be on government assistance.”

Now we’ve got nothing else to say to each other.

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I will never again support a “moderate” GOP presidential nominee.

Norwegian on November 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM

So how will you prevent Goldwatering 2016 against a strong candidate like Cuomo?

ernesto on November 25, 2012 at 4:15 PM

ernesto on November 25, 2012 at 4:15 PM

You’re asking the wrong question, Ern. 2016 will most likely have far more in common with 1844 than with 1964. cf. Whig Party

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Are you claiming that 20% of repubs voted for obama?

How do you define a liberal?

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM

IceCold on November 25, 2012 at 1:30PM

Yep.

pannw on November 25, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Call me back with that when we elect a true conservative President or retake Congress with true conservatives.

S.P. Link on November 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Who are a couple of the true Scotsmen conservatives that you think can rise up in the next couple of years? Name a bunch, because we need a bunch.

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 4:23 PM

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I’m still curious as to how the “no moderates ever!” crowd will avoid a Goldwater-esque result. They act as if running a true, uncompromising conservative hasn’t been tried before.

ernesto on November 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM

“How do you define a liberal?

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM”

How about those willing to compromise on tax increases to boost government “revenue” or agree to amnesty to illegals or those who support same sex marriage, being openly gay in the military, those that think our entitlement system is fine it just needs to be managed better, etc., etc. Hell going by that it’s probably closer to 75% of the Republican Party that’s liberal.

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 4:25 PM

if you have the right principles and make the right argument on those principles you will win the elections. romney has no principles and after one debate stopped arguing.

chasdal on November 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I wish that were true. Sarah Palin had the right principles and arguments, but the media destroyed her political career. The Democrats, on the other hand, have the wrong principles and their only argument is character assassination, but they win elections.

Gelsomina on November 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 4:23 PM

There isn’t any, hence the problem.

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM

IceCold on November 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Great post+
Thats where we are.

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM

There isn’t any, hence the problem.

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM

So whats your plan?..just criticize anyone not pure enough? That’ll help.

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM

ernesto on November 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM

The last time we ran a conservative who believed his own spiel, he did win. Or were you not around for 1980 and 1984?

I was two years old in 1980. I remember 1984 far better, as I was just entering the first grade then. What I’ve learned as an adult about 1980 is that George H.W. Bush hated Reagan with a passion, and everything that Reagan stood for. Reagan’s selection of Bush was a conciliatory olive branch to the blue blood wing of the Republican Party, and in retrospect may have been a huge mistake. It was never Bush 41′s intent to carry on Reagan’s legacy. He relished in destroying it, as has every Republican nominee since (including W).

The problem is not “the message.” The problem is finding a messenger who believes the message. I kid you not, I can say with absolute unequivocal certainty that it’s been 28 years since we’ve run with a messenger who understood and lived the message. 28 years to the year. And we’re still resistant to a correct diagnosis of the problem. How could it possibly be that simple, right?

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Obama voter: “First, Gryph, your way involves effort. My way doesn’t. Second, take a look around my air conditioned apartment…my big plasma TV…satellite…high speed internet…IPhone…steak on the grill. See that new Toyota out on the street? Mine. See, Gryph, I got all I need right now and I got it for free from Obama’s stash. But YOU come in here asking to let you help me WORK for things I already got for free? There’s the door, Gryph, go get back to work. You got my bills to pay, chump.”

On what planet does this happen?

ernesto on November 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Just wanted to make sure you’re absolutely clear who you’re going to have to convert to conservatism if it’s ever going to be a national force again.

Now we’re done.

S.P. Link on November 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I have reason to believe that the 5% by which Obama won the popular vote does not represent near as dire a situation as you think it does. That’s a tad beyond the scope and subject of this post, methinks.

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 4:36 PM

So whats your plan?..just criticize anyone not pure enough? That’ll help.

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Plan? there is no freak’n plan. Good grief. We are a minority political sect, what were going to do is grumble a lot and live under the same leftism that has entrenched Europe. “Purity” has nothing to do with it, until these purist of your are ready to do more then wish and hope for a better political outcome nothing is going to change.

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 4:25 PM

When you stated 20% of repubs are liberal…you meant politicians?
Thats more believable, but 20% is not a controlling majority.

Mimzey on November 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM

On what planet does this happen?

ernesto on November 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM

On what planet do we make this argument? The argument loses whatever credibility it has when it is made by someone who spends his entire adult life eschewing conservatism until he needs to embrace it to become the most powerful man in the world.

And how do you account for the fact that it DID work for Ronald W. “Government is not the solution. Government is the problem.” Reagan? Not just once, but TWICE? The exact argument that Splink and others are poo-pooing now worked 32 years ago.

Sooo…assuming the Dems haven’t changed, isn’t it the GOP that’s changed? And for the worse? Or did I miss something here? Ladies and gentlemen, conservatism is not and has never been the problem! If you feel like giving up the fight, fine. Give up the fight. But don’t pretend that it’s some sort of high-minded philosophical martyrdom when it’s really just garden-variety political fatigue.

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Bill touched on a point at the beginning of the speech that has always bothered me, regarding his fantastic response to Candy Crowley on the $250 million. Whittle claimed in essence that Mitt should have said “I have $250 million because others felt I offered them more than that in value”.

Why didn’t the campaign, knowing full well the left would demonize them, from the get-go, have a bunch of people who benefited from Bain Capital’s investments already lined up ready to go and even to make campaign appearances? Was Bain Capital’s track record really that bad?

BemusedMalkinite on November 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Isn’t that exactly what Reagan did, though? He embraced a compromising conservatism to win high office, and when he won it he promptly compromised all over the place. How is that not what the GOP has been doing to win this entire time? This is how Bush won. What the GOP has never done successfully is run some firebrand conservative who hates gays and immigrants and wants to bomb everyone.

ernesto on November 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM

gryphon202 on November 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM

What difference does it make? Enough of this Reagan garbage, this is not the same nation as it was thirty years ago, not even close. Run the Reagan of thirty years ago and were still going to lose elections. Of course conservatism isn’t the problem but liberalism has still prevailed, and the growing viewpoint of the people of the nation as it is now, will only swing towards more liberalism.

lowandslow on November 25, 2012 at 4:48 PM