Green Room

“As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!”

posted at 10:59 am on November 22, 2012 by

Via Instapundit, here’s one of the funniest moments in sitcom history — from WKRP in Cincinnati in the late 1970s. When I was a teenager, this was one of my favorite shows, and made me (and millions of others) want to work in radio to have this much fun. At the end of an almost-nine-year run, I can tell you it’s every bit as much fun as this show promised. Mitch Berg is no Loni Anderson, though he may be a Dr. Johnny Fever with more caffeine. A lot more caffeine.

Enjoy!

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

A counter-attack :-)

Flange on November 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I saw this episode on TV when it was aired a long, long time ago. I’m glad that it’s becoming a Thanksgiving staple, and I’m glad new media is making it possible for a new generation to witness comedy genius. No one seemed to talk about this episode 10 years ago. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I hope your turkey doesn’t hit the pavement like a sack of wet cement…

joejm65 on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Just as an aside, WKRP never made it big in the home video market because while MTM productions cleared the music rights for the original broadcasts, they didn’t do it for home video use, and as a result, most of the original contemporary songs used in the episodes had to be removed, including some that were actually part of the plot.

The Thanksgiving episode isn’t one of those badly affected, but it is annoying if you buy a season’s disc to find out what you remember watching isn’t what you paid for (until current owner Fox changes its mind or the music rights owners cut their prices, if you want to watch the show as it was, bootleg episodes of the original TV run are the only way to go).

jon1979 on November 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM

jon1979 on November 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Or wait the 75 years until the copyrights on the music runs out.

unclesmrgol on November 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I saw this when it aired and almost died laughing! It is still funny. Thanks Ed for showing this.
L

letget on November 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I have a cat that is about a year old and not really that big. The other day he set his hunting sites on a wild turkey. Jumped right on its back. The turkey took to the air and the cat jumped off when it was 4 or 5 feet up. I know wild turkeys can fly. I’ve seen them fly up into trees in my yard or across the field when spooked.

Frank Enstine on November 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

“Oh, the humanity!”
~ Les Nessman
(also apropos 75 years since the distraught broadcaster said those words upon the explosion of the Hindenberg).

Happiness to you and yall this Thanksgiving!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM

“As God as my witness, I thought turkey’s could fly.”

They can fly…just not very well or for very long.
Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving (Deuteronomy 8:18)

Amendment X on November 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I like this old classic too

scalleywag on November 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM

wild ones can fly, see them a lot here. not daily but a few times a week.
the butterball/factory bred ones cannot.
thats where people get mixed up.

and it was a funny episode :)

dmacleo on November 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM

dmacleo on November 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Yep, we went turkey hunting last weekend (nothing better than wild turkey, fried up, for TG), and I missed twice as two took off. Finally got the third one, and he’ll be in the grease real soon. The wild one’s are very quick on their feet and in the air.

TXUS on November 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Aw so glad you guys are making this a tradition. The kids listened and said “Oh, I remember this! I love this!”
Also, fittingly and to my amusement, when I posted the link to Facebook, instead of Carlson, there’s a picture of John Boehner. I’m not sure if he represents a turkey or a bumbling, out-of-touch Old coot (except Carlson’s loveable), but either way works!

delicountessa on November 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I like this old classic too

scalleywag on November 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM

A poor man’s ripoff of this.

Shy Guy on November 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Turkeys can fly. Wild ones anyway. I guess the farmed ones probably have their wings clipped. First time a turkey flew over me I thought it was a helicopter. Ha. Suckers make a lot of noise with those big ol’ wings beating the air.

dczombie on November 22, 2012 at 1:28 PM

The second greatest Thanksgiving sitcom episode of all-time.

Still doesn’t quite surpass The Bob Newhart Show’s Moo-Goo Gai Pan episode.

Right Mover on November 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Yep, turkeys can fly. I’m guessing even the butterball turkeys can fly when they’re young. The bigger they get the less they do it though. I have some heritage turkeys that fly all the time, but when the toms start getting big, they stop flying except to roost at night. But while they’re young and lighter, they fly quite well.

frost on November 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I’m guessing even the butterball turkeys can fly when they’re young.

frost on November 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM

That’s obvious! Their wings are greased.

Shy Guy on November 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM

iirc the butterball ones (and similar) can never fly as they have been bred to have different muscle mass in the “chest” areas.

TXUS on November 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM

sounds yummy, last time I had deep fried one neighbor used a lot of brown sugar in it. carmelized turkey, best I ever had.

dmacleo on November 22, 2012 at 2:17 PM

they can fly, bit I love the clip.

rob verdi on November 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Classic!

Tim_CA on November 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Still doesn’t quite surpass The Bob Newhart Show’s Moo-Goo Gai Pan episode.

Right Mover on November 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM

lol…another classic.

“Chinese Baby-Food”

Tim_CA on November 22, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Frank Enstine on November 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

They’re just a tad big for the average sized domestic, house cat.

But wherever there are bobcats or lynx, more wild turkeys are killed by them than any other predator.

listens2glenn on November 22, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I love that episode. :) I bought it from Amazon last year. It is now a tradition here. :))

GWB on November 22, 2012 at 7:35 PM

having hundreds of wild turkeys on my land . they can fly. However they are much more comfortable running swiftly in the brush. I don’t like raised turkeys but the wild turkeys we ate as kids in the hill coutry in TX were worse. And they’re not easy to kill.

rik on November 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Still doesn’t quite surpass The Bob Newhart Show’s Moo-Goo Gai Pan episode.

Right Mover on November 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM

That’s great, too. It’s awfully close. The Newhart one is hard to find on YouTube, but I have it on DVD and watch it every year at Thanksgiving.

Mr. D on November 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Wild turkeys can fly. Domestic turkeys are different, bred for giant breasts and stupidity. Perhaps when young and raised in conditions where they’d get lots of exercise they can. A flock of domestic turkeys will turn and attack.

htom on November 23, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Yeah, classic. I woke up early Thursday morning to cook, Drudge had this story about turkeys attacking people, and I’m thinking, “Misters Carlson and Tarlick, you’re needed.”

apostic on November 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

At our local zoo, there are wild turkeys all over the hills. A volunteer told me that sometimes before guests come in, they find that one of the lions has a big fat turkey hanging from its jaws. They ‘cleanse’ the scene before the kids see nature in all its glory. :)

Javahog on November 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM

They ‘cleanse’ the scene before the kids see nature in all its glory

Eh. The could just run “Circle of Life” over the PA system…

apostic on November 23, 2012 at 1:53 PM