Green Room

A Farewell to NARNs

posted at 6:59 pm on November 21, 2012 by

Earlier today on my TEMS wrap-up for the week, I announced that I would be leaving the Northern Alliance Radio Network, effective immediately. I had been an on-air host on Saturday afternoons since March 2004 on the local Salem affiliate AM 1280 The Patriot, a run of nearly nine years. I had an absolute blast being on the radio, chatting with callers, and interacting with a number of other NARN hosts — but primarily my long-time radio partner, Mitch Berg of Shot in the Dark. He’s been a great friend, a patient tutor, and the best radio partner for which I could have hoped.

So why leave? I’ve decided to take on some new pursuits, especially in catechesis and service within my faith. That will take a considerable amount of time over the next couple of years at least — and perhaps longer than that. That means I need to clear some time for myself and my family on the weekends.

I’d like to thank The Patriot and their team for nine years of great support. The station manager, Ron Stone, was sorry to see me go, but tremendously understanding and supportive of my decision. Ron asked me to come back occasionally as a guest, as did Mitch, and I look forward to doing so. For now, though, Mitch will do the show solo — and I know he’s going to do a terrific job.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

God Bless Ed

HotAirian on November 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

We’ll miss you on the NARN, but our pal Mitch does a great job, as does Brad Carlson.

Mr. D on November 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Will you be getting to the bottom of the ‘how old is the earth’ question?

faraway on November 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM

First Obama gets reelected. Then OOTDs go away. And then Ed leaves the NARN. :( :( :(

You will be missed. I hope you will still come back every now and then to join Mitch, even if it’s as a guest rather than as a co-host.

MinnesotaSlinger on November 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Ed, I honestly never understood how you found the time to do all that you do anyway. We’ll miss your radio presence and the very good interviews you often shared here at Hot Air, but everybody needs time for themselves and their family. Plus, Hot Air’s a pretty time-consuming gig anyway, at least in the high quality way you do it. NARN’s loss, God’s gain, not a bad trade really, when you think about it. Enjoy your new found hours and minutes.

TXUS on November 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Speaking of farewells:

2 Maine TV Anchors Quit on Air, Igniting Journalism Ethics Debate

This is especially interesting given that the station was bucking the the media downturn:

“Over the last 15 to 18 months, we’ve been a raging locomotive of change,” he said. “The capital improvements to the building, the technological changes. We have added 10 full-time jobs with benefits here to payroll. We had to expand the parking lot because of adding so many people.

According to the anchors:

“It’s a culmination of ongoing occurrences that took place the last several years and basically involved upper management practices that we both strongly disagreed with,” she explained. “It’s a little complicated, but we were expected to do somewhat unbalanced news, politically, in general.”

Unbalanced? Now I know what you are thinking. Maybe these anchors were bucking the left wing media bias when they quit. Don’t bet on it. Only leftists can quit jobs in media over “ethics” without fear of being picked up somewhere.

Even so, he admits that he did have occasion to question Michaels’ news judgment. “I had to make it known they had to present both sides of an issue rather than one side of an issue,” he says. “For instance, we recently broadcast a gay marriage debate.”

Palmer says that Michaels and Consiglio selected an openly gay man to moderate that debate, something he says shows biased judgment.

But that’s not exactly how Cindy Michaels remembers it. She says that the moderator in question was a professional journalist – a member of her staff – who had come to her with the idea of holding that debate, and she says that Palmer never discussed that staff member’s sexual orientation with her.

“There was a regular undoing of decisions made by me, the news director,” she says. “Sometimes politically charged stories were not treated with unbiased approach.”

Apparently the management of the station decided to go the Fox News route and present both sides of a story, it paid off and the liberal anchors had enough. I think they saw the writing on the wall.

Also…Good luck with your work with the Church Ed.It’s a noble thing to do and will be appreciated.

Rocks on November 21, 2012 at 8:38 PM

:) absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Your guest spots will be appreciated.

c4 on November 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Congratulations Ed, I know you will be a wonderful servant to your community!

TheLoudTalker on November 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Best of luck Ed!
You’re called over there now…you’ll do it well.

Mimzey on November 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Will miss ya on 1280 but service to the King and family is a higher priority…God bless you and your family…Lord knows that when the wheels come off, and they will come off, people will need men and woman of faith to be a guide through the aftermath…welcome to the mission field, glad to have ya aboard….

crosshugger on November 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM

What points haven’t I answered? Who did I call “homophobe”?

JetBoy on November 21, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Tired of trying to repost this answer. In a nutshell. You lost a great ally over your desire to stick with the cause. You offended a great man in my book for your inability to address his points. I guess that was easier.

smoothsailing on November 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Ignore my comment. Wrong spot.

smoothsailing on November 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Godspeed in your new direction, Ed! :)

Rocks on November 21, 2012 at 8:38 PM

When I read they quit together in the middle of the broadcast, I immediately guessed they were leftists – Conservatives are expected to be more mature and professional than that, for good reason! :)

Anti-Control on November 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Well I guess if you have to have a reason to quit the NARN, that’s a pretty good one.

As a non-Minnesotan (my Child Bride and in-laws came to California from Eagan) I could rarely catch the show live/streaming, but would usually grab the podcasts as they were posted. A nine year run in radio is nothing to sneeze at. I’m sad that you won’t be a frequent contributor any more, but I admire your dedication to faith.

juanito on November 22, 2012 at 1:27 AM

God Bless and good luck Capt. Ed.. :cool:

Dire Straits on November 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Good luck Ed.

forest on November 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Good luck Ed. :cool:

CorporatePiggy on November 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM

TEMS is a great politics and news showcase, but that lead me to NARN. Being here in VA, Minnesota politics is like a foreign language. The definite draw was the interplay between you two. It has to be illegal for two guys to sound like they’re having that much fun.

ironked on November 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Good Luck, Ed. It was a great show and what talk shows should all be like. It was a pleasure listening. I’m sure Mitch will do a great job, but as he intends to re-focus on local and regional politics I probably won’t be listening in as often.

Good luck to all.

Fred 2 on November 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Best regards, Ed. I enjoyed catching the NARN when I could on Saturdays.

ted c on November 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I’m going to miss the NARN with you and Mitch, Ed. I always thought it was a good team, with the manic Norseman cum Scottish highlander along with a more cerebral partner in you. I certainly understand your reasons for leaving, and quite frankly I never knew how you found enough hours in the week to do the HA gig, TEMS, and NARN.

I wish Mitch much success in his solo effort, and hope you can do a guest appearance at times. I’ll still tune in to NARN at times, particularly when Mitch gets guests on that I’m interested in. Best wishes to both of you!

simkeith on November 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM