Green Room

One portrait of Tom Vilsack for the low, low price of $22K

posted at 11:32 am on November 20, 2012 by

Congratulations, you bought it!

The Environmental Protection Agency spent nearly $40,000 on a portrait of Administrator Lisa P. Jackson, while a painting of Air Force Secretary Michael B. Donley will cost $41,200, according to federal purchasing records. The price tag for a 3-by-4-foot oil portrait of Agriculture Department Secretary Thomas J. Vilsack: $22,500.

All told, the government has paid out at least $180,000 for official portraits since last year, according to a review by The Washington Times of spending records at federal agencies and military offices across government.

Painting people high up in all branches of the federal government is a long-held tradition for Republicans and Democrats alike in Washington. Taxpayers picked up the tab for official portraits of top appointees in the Bush administration, too, including more than $40,000 spent on a painting of former Attorney General John Ashcroft, records show.

A portrait of former EPA Administrator Stephen Johnson, another Bush appointee, cost about $30,000, according to EPA records.

I’m sure if you argued we should switch to photo portraits to save money, it’d be an attack on painters. I bet you hate cowboy poetry, too.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I gotta get into the portrait painting gig. Sounds lucrative.

dczombie on November 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM

How about this: offer private citizens the right to bid and/or pay for such portraits. After the person is no longer holding the office the painting can be donated to whatever national collection now holds onto them, or the sponsor can take ownership. No taxpayer dollars needed. If no one sponsors, it can be a photo portrait. I’m sure Soros et al would love an oil of Eric Holder for the main dining room…

sultanp on November 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Vilsack? Isn’t he the racist who fired that African American woman via text message after he saw a partial youtube clip?

forest on November 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Well, we need *something* to pull off the walls and throw on the bonfire. That’ll do nicely.

TexasDan on November 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Let them all pull down their pants and sit on the photocopier. It would cost about a dime and no one would notice the difference.

flyoverland on November 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I hope they didn’t Oil based paint.

portlandon on November 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I can see portraits of people like POTUS, VP,Speakers, majority & minority leaders, etc.
But not for any of these regulatory agencies.
These people are parasites anyway.
I don’t have pictures of any parasites I’ve had.

Badger40 on November 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM

All these government agencies make me want to hurl. They are always wasting money on writing and rewriting histories of their agencies which amount to no more than fan fiction for those in power. Blech.

Blake on November 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Somewhere out there in the vast expanse of the Nevada desert amongst the dirt and the rocks, the cacti, and the creepy-crawly creatures that squirm across the earth in the night — a sad Cowboy poet rhymes a woeful song — while he pokes a slithering Harry Reid with a stick.

FlatFoot on November 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Another thing I am thankful for is that Christie Vilsack Carpet Bagger wife of Tom Vilsack, the architect of the largest increase in food stamps ever,lost her bid for my congressional district that she never lived in.
Iowas’ gain is the nations loss, good riddance to bad rubbish!

ConcealedKerry on November 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Top Pick

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.