Green Room

Second look at Guy Fieri’s allegedly terrible restaurant?

posted at 3:45 pm on November 19, 2012 by

You realize, of course, that this means I’m going to have to try it.

Guy Fieri’s restaurant is nothing like that! Everyone there is glad to be there. At the bar with me were several tourists eager to taste what the New York Times had decried. The waitress was friendly. The ambience was in no way misleading. My only quibble with the decor was that the chandelier that proclaimed “Livin’ It! Cookin’ It!” could have used a few more G’s. But, again, this is a minor complaint…

The food tasted like food, which was almost disappointing. I got there expecting to taste disappointment, or conceptual art, or what it was like to go slowly insane, and instead there was chili and some fries with garlic on them that were very crispy (almost like hot tasty rocks!) and almost aggressively well-heated. These fries had clearly read their review, and they wanted to prove that there was more to them than that. This is why you should not read your own reviews. Their desperation pained me. I took them away in a doggy bag.

Since this is a food review of sorts, I feel that I am expected to say something dignified about the nature of the “Dragon’s Breath” chili. It was, I think, a good challenging chili, furtive, yet pensive. I pursued it. It eluded me. At one point there was a giant chunk of meat that came as a nice surprise. If I were Guy Fieri, I would have been proud to put my name on it, especially after that meat chunk, and I am not sure why he did not designate it as a signature dish.

You realize, of course, that this means I’m going to have to order the chili and hope for a “meat chunk.”

Second look at Guy Fieri secretly being in cahoots with the NYT to drum up business through the morbid curiosity generated by a brutally negative review?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

So, maybe not having cable TV has stunted my appreciation for pop culture…

But who the hell is Guy Fieri, and why is he trying to sell me food?

JohnGalt23 on November 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I saw Guy Fieri back when he was on the Food Channel reality program to pick the next Food “Star”. I believe that group was the one in which Morimoto came in, looked at everyone’s work, and said no one knew how to use a knife correctly.

Most cooking shows have deteriorated into recipes and reality without spending time teaching skills.

INC on November 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Fieri is a peroxided, spiky-haired chef who won one of those cable TV best chef contests. He goes around the country seeking out mom-and-pop type places, the kind that have been around for a few decades (with an occasional new-age stop thrown in) on his show “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.” I’m a fan. It’s the kind of show where you say, I’m going to stop at that place when I’m in Spokane, or San Francisco, or LA or anywhere. I like it because it’s non-pretentious cuisine made with things like granulated garlic, paprika, chili powder, etc.

rivlax on November 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM

But who the hell is Guy Fieri, and why is he trying to sell me food?

JohnGalt23 on November 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM

He was the winner of that group. I think it was the first time they ran the show. I think he won because he’s outrageous. He now hosts other programs on the Food Channel, that I can’t watch for more than about 3 minutes.

INC on November 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Meh. Some of us have altered our expectations to those of being eaten.

Seth Halpern on November 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM

By the way, Fieri is good for business. I stopped at Capone’s Pub and Grill in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, which he featured a year or two ago, and they told me business jumped 60 percent right after it aired.

rivlax on November 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I don’t watch that Food Star program any more. I don’t know if they ever run it, but the times I caught it after that I never saw them bring Morimoto in again as a judge. I figured the Food Channel didn’t want someone coming in who would actually judge them on whether or not they knew cooking techniques! Either that or Morimoto was so disgusted that he refused to be on the program!

INC on November 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM

♪♫ dumb ways to di-i-ie, so many dumb… oh, sorry, still in my head.

JohnGalt, he’s a cable food network star, and his big show involves travelling the country looking for local great places to eat. The places he visits feature mostly comfort foods. Big plates of deep-fried everyhing with fried beverages on the side.
He tends to kid around with the cooks in each place while shouting catch phrases wearing his sunglasses on the back of his head.

I find his show a lot of fun in small doses, but I wouldn’t recommend a marathon of it. Chopped, on the other hand…

DrAllecon on November 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Guy Fieri

Schadenfreude on November 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM

It’s the Minute-to-Win-it guy, right? As I recall, he was eminently qualified for that job.

jdpaz on November 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Guy turned us on to the Pantry and sister restaurant The Flying Tortilla
in Santa Fe . Best places for breakfast ever !

Lucano on November 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Peter Wells, if this is a poor dining experience, you are a fortunate man.

Ouch.

unclesmrgol on November 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I’ve watched his show a few times and never heard him say anything intelligent or insightful about the food. Does Fieri even cook? I get the impression he’s all about the look and nothing else.

Pervygrin on November 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Pervygrin on November 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Ha! When he was on that new Food Star show, he was supposed to be running a restaurant somewhere.

See my comment above about Morimoto‘s take on those contestants! That showed me all I needed to know.

INC on November 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM

So, maybe not having cable TV has stunted my appreciation for pop culture…

But who the hell is Guy Fieri, and why is he trying to sell me food?

JohnGalt23 on November 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Is there honestly some subset of humanity that believes it is some kind of badge of honor to not only not know about pop culture, (which I’m not sure I would label knowledge of Guy Fieri) but also some kind of pride in making jokes about not knowing something ?

Whatever. You could just not have a TV at all and just post incessantly about your moral superiority in not watching the “idiot box” or something. Have at it, there, Einstein.

deadrody on November 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM

deadrody on November 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Is that you Guy?

WisRich on November 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

So, let me get this straight.

The left, through the New York Times food and restaurant reviews, is ragging on Guy Fieri and his and Food Network’s ‘Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives’; because Guy spotlights one of the major small businesses in America?

I’m a fan of the show since it first began and believe Guy and FN perform a great service to ‘Triple D’ and its audience. Stimulating business through highlighting all kinds of restaurants across the US that many in the audience make road trips to visit.

Jack Deth on November 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Guy Fieri doesn’t care about skinny people.

Rusty Allen on November 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM

He’s better than that east coast washed up bore Andrew Bourdain who has to fight his own ego for face time.

He thinks he’s the Marlon Brando of the culinary world.

portlandon on November 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

But who the hell is Guy Fieri, and why is he trying to sell me food?

JohnGalt23 on November 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I like his program. He’s an over the top looking chef with a pretty down to Earth personna and checks out common mom and pop eateries around the country. Asks them to show their signiture m and p recipes and then samples the fare.

Triple D.

hawkdriver on November 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Meh…..

Planet Hollywood MK1 Mod 3,000.

BigWyo on November 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

deadrody on November 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I nominate this for the “Most Hysterical Overreaction To An Innocuous Post!” category.

Calm down! (I say that with the high hope that you are a female, in order to provoke a lecture from you about my ‘patriarchal condescension’, which would be worth it to me even if such a lecture were only to occur in your mind!) :)

Anti-Control on November 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

So, let me get this straight.

Jack Deth on November 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Great post, from that great Jack Deth! :)

Fieri’s show may be fluff, but it’s good, fun fluff hosted by a guy who properly appreciates non-hoity-toity food!

Anti-Control on November 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

deadrody (sneered) on November 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM

As “folks” who have not watched television in over a decade, we have plenty of knowledge of what passes for “pop culture”. And Einstein is guest at our house, because it’s peaceful (without your MTV and BSM).

As for Guy Fieri, whoever he is, why is he being singled out, Alinsky style, all of a sudden? Nothing here connects the dots.

RushBaby on November 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Anybody who takes fries away in a doggy bag is an idiot. There is no way to reconstitute french fries after the fact. Also, who expects food not to taste like … well, food?

Garbage review, IMO.

RebeccaH on November 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I love Fieri and his “Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives” show. :) “the Hunch” stance for sloppy burgers.

c4 on November 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Garbage review, IMO.

RebeccaH on November 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Some of us take leftovers home because the beasties like them.

kim roy on November 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM