Green Room

Have no fear, the homemade twinkie recipe is here

posted at 2:49 pm on November 16, 2012 by

The bankruptcy of Hostess is effecting Twinkie lovers everywhere, but not all hope is lost. I present to you, the homemade Twinkie recipe.

Golden “Twinkie” Cake:

2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray molds/pan with non-stick spray.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Next, beat in the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute in between each addition. Reduce the mixer speed and add flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add the vanilla and mix until the batter just comes together. Over mixing with make your cake chewy. Makes 12 cakes.

Spray your Twinkie canoes and bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until the cakes are just a light golden color and a tester inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Cream Filling

¼ cup shortening (I prefer Crisco brand)
¼ cup margarine
1 cup sifted powdered or 10x sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Beat together the shortening and margarine until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar in a little at a time and beat on high until peaks form. Add vanilla and beat for one minute. Place in prepared icing tubes for piping into cakes.

To fill the cakes, insert the icing tip – preferably a large star tip – into three points along the flat-side of the cake, about 1/8 of an inch deep. Squeeze lightly until you see the filling begin to ooze out.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

El_Terrible on November 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Yeah sure.

Where is the melamine? How will it stay fresh for two years without the melamine?

BL@KBIRD on November 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM

You expect me to go through all of that when I have the munchies?

JPeterman on November 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM

SPY Magazine did a big story on the Twinkie a number of years (ok, many years) ago.

They enlisted several top-flight gourmet pastry chefs to do their best at duplicating the Twinkie. Several recipes were given.

Hopefully someone out there (??) can locate and publish these lost culinary gems?

So Michelle Obama managed to get rid of the Twinkie? Will Malomars be next? Maybe the legalize-marijuana crowd needs to get mobilized…

sultanp on November 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM

The rumor is that Flowers Foods may make a bid for the Hostess recipes. Headquartered in Georgia, non union. The irony would be so delicious if it comes to pass.

Cindy Munford on November 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I’d skip the piping the filling and just shmear it all over the top of the cake and call it an “inside/out” Twinkie!

kringeesmom on November 16, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I have made these at home and they are very very good.

The nice thing about this recipe is that it’s quite easy to make, and you can also use whatever filling you’d like. I’ve made them with buttercream filling, chocolate buttercream, toffee, etc.

You can also just make the cakes and use them for all sorts of desserts. :)

TKindred on November 16, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Thank you, Katie.

a capella on November 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Ms Pavlich, Thank you so much. I’ll be getting whatever I need to make them tomorrow. Like TKindred, I’m looking forward to trying different fillings.

ansonia on November 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM

You expect me to go through all of that when I have the munchies?

JPeterman on November 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM

You need to lay off the “Shanghai Sally,” JPeterman! ;-)

UltimateBob on November 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I’m still mourning the loss of Chocodiles (chocolate covered Twinkies, for the uninitiated). They seemed to have vanished from the Eastern US, though I hear they may still be available out West.

cam2 on November 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

In related news, backers of the victorious Colorado marijuana legalization effort have sent a request to the governor for immediate repeal of the amendment. #twinkies #munchies

winoceros on November 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Post of the year.

If anyone needed a sign that America is under judgment, it is in the demise of the Twinkie.

paul1149 on November 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Yeah, but margarine? Seriously?

Margarine is evil. Not allowed in my kitchen.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on November 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Huh… here I thought you had to have an advanced degree in organic chemistry to make a Twinkie.

Well, maybe you do to get them to have that near-infinite self life.

E-R

electric-rascal on November 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

kringeesmom on November 16, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Or cake, as it’s more commonly known.

Jewel on November 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Besides, Twinkies are the most hideous tasting snack food. I hate them. And Tastykakes, too. Yecchh.

Jewel on November 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

You see, what you WANT to do is celebrate the demise of Hostess craptacularity with a Red Velvet cupcake. Make those, and your Twinkie memories will be a flavorless thing of the past.

Jewel on November 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Cindy Munford on November 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Now that I know I won’t be able to find any at all, I am kinda hoping you are correct CM.

Twinkies were something my mother would not allow in the house and always something I got when over at a friend’s. Ding Dongs & Ho Hos however did manage to sneak in once in awhile. I liked those.

roy_batty on November 17, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Katie, would you also happen to have the recipe for homemade Krimpets, just in case something happens to the makers of Tastykakes?

Bigfoot on November 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM

For some reason I’ve created this image in my head that making Twinkies at home is as hazardous and dangerous as making meth.”

That’s so funny, El T.

qestout on November 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Thanks, Katie, but your first sentence improperly substitutes effecting for affecting. ;)

itsnotaboutme on November 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

El_Terrible on November 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Except instead of the house blowing up, your stomach does.

JetBoy on November 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM

The left, munch/moochelle, unions and OWS all give up twinkles for the downed twinkie. After all, another evil corporatecapitalistpig has ‘bitten’ the dust. Yay, they say.

They won’t be satisfied until every Happy Meal is no longer happy.

Opinionator on November 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM

They are still going to be available in Canada via Saputo foods. Of course that may open a big black market and illegal Twinkie importation, I’ll look forward to the DoJ’s Fat and Furious ….

HalifaxCB on November 17, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I went to WalMart tonight to pick up some Twinkies and Ding Dongs before they were gone, but I was too late; they already had a run on them. :(

Theophile on November 18, 2012 at 2:24 AM

If most people had the time, inclination or the talent to bake, Hostess would never have made it. I’ll miss the Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cakes the most.

DanaSmiles on November 18, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Harry Reid just said he would not block Yucca Mt for long term storage of Twinkies. Some say they last longer than nuclear waste.

Dennis D on November 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I was never a Twinkie fan. But I was addicted to Drakes Funny Bones which went down with Hostess.

Dennis D on November 18, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Yeah sure.

BL@KBIRD on November 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Check the label on the margarine.

Freddy on November 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM