Young Sandy victim wonders where the heck Obama’s been
posted at 5:33 pm on November 15, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham
Potus visited a FEMA and SBA disaster tent as a loud crowds of about a 100 locals looked on and yelled for his attention, as well as a tent holding boxes of toiletries, as well cans of soup. (Campbell’s was well represented) and boxed food to victims of Sandy.
Pooler got to talk with a girl who was getting some supplies. She said her house was on the beach but “it’s gone.” She laughed and said it’s “still standing…” but they can’t live in it. They’re living [with] family.
She said of the president:
“We need help–he should of been here a long time ago.”
A young hispanic man who just met the president said he “lost everything; I lost my job.”
“Thanks so much,” he said he wanted to say to the president.
It’s a symptom of bad cultural signals about government that young people look to the president’s personal appearance to fix things on the ground after a natural disaster, but her complaint illustrates that a photo-op alone didn’t guarantee the people who needed it would get help, even though he seemed to get credit for just that.
Recently in the Green Room:
- IRS To Pro-Life Groups: You Know You’re Gonna Have To Give Up This Whole Protest Thing, Right?
- Two House Dems demand Lerner resignation after using lobbyist to stage modified limited hangout
- Feelgood video of the day
- New liberal idea: Let’s raise $660 million online in a month to buy the LA Times before the Koch brothers can
- Of Course It Troubles Me. Are You Kidding Me?