Green Room

Bloomberg editors: We expect Obama to approve Keystone any day now

posted at 4:47 pm on November 14, 2012 by

Aren’t they cute?  The editors at Bloomberg believe that with the election over and Barack Obama’s stated objections to the Keystone XL pipeline resolved, we should see approval coming forthwith:

When Obama denied a permit for Keystone XL in January, it was because the builder,TransCanada Corp. (TRP), needed to revise the route to avoid Nebraska’s Sandhills region overlying the Ogallala Aquifer. Rather than wait for this essential revision, Republicans in Congress forced the president to make a quick decision on TransCanada’s entire application, in the hope his rejecting it would hurt him in the election.

Since then, the company has rerouted and, in May, submitted a new application with the U.S. State Department. (The State Department is involved because the pipeline would cross the U.S.-Canada border.) Environmental studies have been updated accordingly, on what was already one of the most-researched infrastructure projects in U.S. history. And now Obama has won re-election, removing any need to pretend the pipeline’s surpassing value to U.S. energy security is undermined by its environmental risks. …

The bitumen is coming out of the ground one way or another. Obama should ensure it goes to the U.S. and not the Far East. The administration has long said it would make a decision by the first quarter of 2013. We see no reason it shouldn’t do so before the end of the year.

Well, neither do I — except for Obama’s hostility toward oil and other hydrocarbon-based forms of energy.  If Obama was going to approve the pipeline, he’d have done so before the election, when it could have won him some blue-collar votes in the Midwest and the Rust Belt.  Now, though, Obama will talk about an all-of-the-above energy policy, but he won’t go out of his way to reduce roadblocks to oil and coal production.

I hope I’m wrong, and I’ll cheer if I am … but I’m not holding my breath in case I need to do so.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Bloomberg editors: We expect Obama to approve Keystone any day now

Yes, I’m expecting this too. Also, Unicorns!

Rocks on November 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Bloomberg editors: We expect Obama to approve Keystone any day now

As long as “any day” is sometime after January 20, 2017, and by “Obama”, the Bloomberg presstitutes meant “Obama’s successor”, they might be right.

Steve Eggleston on November 14, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Oh gosh! I have been doubled over ALL.DAY.Long!!

djl130 on November 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Well, neither do I — except for Obama’s hostility toward oil and other hydrocarbon-based forms of energylife.

fify

chemman on November 14, 2012 at 5:08 PM

If Obama threw out the enviro lobby and went whole-hog on domestic energy he might well end up with an economy that looked like what Clinton had. 3% growth and a firming dollar, at least.

But…leopards don’t change their spots.

JEM on November 14, 2012 at 5:31 PM

and then tinkerbell came sprinkling magic fairy dust all over the fruited plain.

acyl72 on November 14, 2012 at 5:37 PM

The mountain-west energy producing states need to call up Stephen Harper and suggest a nice anschluss.

JEM on November 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Say “Obama needs to approve Keystone” to any and all of your liberal acquaintances.

Not one will know what you are talking about.

tom daschle concerned on November 14, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Just buy a Volt or something – you can go a whole 25 miles on a charge. No joke, my friend told me yesterday that the battery in his hybrid is now completely dead – $3k repair, 110k miles.

The Count on November 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM

They are actually building a section of this near my house right now. Unbelievable the amounts of pipeline and other material moving on the roads. I pass about 5 truckloads of pipe every time I head into the local grocery store. Lots of people working because of this project.

trigon on November 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

SO what if he does approve it? SO WHAT?

The entire problem isn’t just that it is or isn’t approved, it’s that it has taken 4 years. Billions of wasted dollars in legal and bureaucratic mess. Countless hours. And Countless lives of real people stuck and made worse because of his administrations incompetence and stupidity. The man is mentally deficient.

WashingtonsWake on November 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I’m not going to hold my breath. And it’s too late anyway – Canada has no incentive to remain hostage to US politics.

besser tot als rot on November 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Why woudln’t he?

He no longer needs the greenies, so why not secure his legacy by opening the energy floodgates to jump start the economy, and then claim it was his stimulus that did it?

Snowblind on November 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Why woudln’t he?

Snowblind on November 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Need’s got nothing to do with it. See Holder, Rice.

besser tot als rot on November 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM

They should just change their name to “Blooming-Idiots”.

That goes for the mayor in New York, as well.

Sterling Holobyte on November 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Bloomberg Editors = Idiots

These freakin people have not abloody clue as to the world they actually live in.

Unbelievable!

Archimedes on November 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Approving Keystone is only second to approving killing OBL in terms of no-brainer decisions.

I would actually be very surprised if Obama doesn’t approve it.

visions on November 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Why woudln’t he?

Snowblind

you still believe that Obama cares? he is destroying every institution to remake us into a byzantine corruptocracy.

tom daschle concerned on November 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Sure he will approve it, and any drop of oil that uses it will have a carbon environmental protection tax on it at some astronautical percent the cost of that oil. But no tax if the same oil crosses the boarder by train.

tjexcite on November 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I don’t think Obama is anti-fossil fuel. I think he is pro state ownership of fossil fuels. I think the progressive agenda towards fossil fuels is really about crippling domestic energy producers to the point where the have to cave in to heavy regulation and taxation in order to stay in business.

HarryBackside on November 15, 2012 at 9:01 AM

The Count on November 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I’m surprised the battery lasted 110K miles – they’re rated for 80K-100K miles.

Steve Eggleston on November 15, 2012 at 9:11 AM

To Obama causing pain is fun, forget energy enhancements from this guy.

arand on November 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I’ll believe that when I see his signature on a permit for construction of the pipeline.

I don’t believe any of his promises or rumors. Weren’t we supposed to have 5.6% unemployment and $2,500 lower healthcare costs by now?

Obama Quixote will be back in the saddle playing with windmills.

Steve Z on November 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM