Green Room

Prayers for Steven Den Beste

posted at 9:12 pm on November 13, 2012 by

Via Instapundit, our colleague for a couple of years here at Hot Air has had a small stroke.  Steven managed to type out an update with one finger from his hospital bed, but the prognosis looks more optimistic:

My brother is loaning me a laptop which I can use on the hospital’s wifi.

Looks like Thursday morning, I’ll be transferring to a rehab place where I’m probably going to be staying for a week. I’m not looking forward to it but I’m also not thrilled about being profoundly crippled for the rest of my life, either.

I don’t know if I’ll have wifi access at the rehab.

In the meantime, my left hand is useless and I’m typing this with one finger.

I thank you all for your good wishes, and I’ll update when i can and when there’ something to say.

Keep him in your prayers.

Update: I honestly forgot that Steven is an atheist; I meant no disrespect to him by asking readers to pray for him, obviously.  That’s just my first instinct, and I hope Steven will know it was meant in respect and affection.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Prayers, aye. Praying for a tremendous recovery for Steven, and many more years of his excellent writing for all of us to enjoy. Peace and strength for his family.

J.E. Dyer on November 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM

If he is still capable of typing coherent thoughts (albeit with one finger), he is still capable of making a dramatic recovery. Godspeed, Steven.

cynccook on November 13, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Many, many hours I spent on the USS Clueless back in the day. Steven, your words gave me strength more often than you’ll ever know. I know you’re an atheist, but I’m saying a prayer for your quick and full recovery anyway.

greggriffith on November 13, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Godspeed on the journey back to good health.

ronval912 on November 13, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Sending prayers for a speedy recovery.

CoffeeLover on November 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Prayers to you..Might be a long trail, but I’ll bet you’ll come back strong.

Mimzey on November 13, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Wishing you the best, Steven.

tdpwells on November 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I hope Steven will know it was meant in respect and affection.

That’s okay Ed. As a Christian, surely you know that occasionally the joy pf praying is doing it in spite of someone. ;)

greggriffith on November 13, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Seriously though… as trite as it may sound, Steven den Beste may not believe on God, but God very much believes in Steven den Beste.

greggriffith on November 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Prayers are with him. Ed. Thanks for the note.

simkeith on November 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Prayers ascending. Loved USS Clueless.

AH_C on November 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery Steven.

batterup on November 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Keep him in your prayers.

Update: I honestly forgot that Steven is an atheist; I meant no disrespect to him by asking readers to pray for him, obviously. That’s just my first instinct, and I hope Steven will know it was meant in respect and affection.

This is why I keep coming back…

… Prayers to you and your family Steven.

Seven Percent Solution on November 13, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Prayers for you, your family, and your medical team, Steven! May you enjoy a full recovery.

4Grace on November 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Ah heck, this is terrible news to hear. SDB was one of the reasons I started reading conservative blogs in the first place, and it was a real shame when he shut down his USS Clueless blog. He was also the person who introduced me to the excellent works of professor Walter Russell Mead.

Here’s hoping to hear more positive news from him soon.

Doomberg on November 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Good luck to him and hope he has a speedy recovery.

lexhamfox on November 14, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Why did you apologize?

single stack on November 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Here’s hoping to hear more positive news from him soon.

Doomberg on November 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Here, here… One of the pioneering early rightie blogs.

Get well soon, SDB.

Purple Fury on November 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Do what you are told in rehab and you will get better faster.

Cindy Munford on November 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I bet G-d also loves atheists.

Ira on November 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

1 Timothy 2:1

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,

It’s kind of silly to apologize for being who you are. God exists, of course you’re going to pray about things that concern you. I don’t think an atheist would apologize for not acknowledging God.

Fenris on November 14, 2012 at 2:34 AM

that’s scary! but yep we should pray for him, i will.

Sachiko on November 14, 2012 at 3:34 AM

get well soon…all the best

cmsinaz on November 14, 2012 at 7:00 AM

greggriffith on November 13, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Ditto.

The USS Clueless was, and is, distilled awesomeness… and still worth a read.

Best wishes for a solid recovery.

CPT. Charles on November 14, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Prayers for a full recovery. You have made a difference in so many of our lives, get well soon!

sandspur on November 14, 2012 at 7:19 AM

My dearest hopes for a recovery go out to you Mr. Den Beste.

Your early work enlightened me no end.

The hard part is not being struck ill, it is in never accepting the limitations as limits. What you recover is more precious for having lost it, and that means never, ever stopping in trying to recover lost function.

ajacksonian on November 14, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Guessing that prayers would seem a type of teleology to him – but my hopes – prayers – are for his complete recovery, from this and all other ailments he may suffer.

Eren on November 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Ed, did you really just apologize for asking folks to pray for him, and suggest that doing so might be offensive? Wow. Just… wow.

Shump on November 14, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Ed did not appear to “apologize” for asking prayers for SDB, he noted that he meant no disrespect to SDB’s own belief system. A number of nonbelievers are offended when believers insensitively offer prayers for them.

krome on November 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Best of luck to Steven.

rbj on November 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM

There is no point in apologizing for praying for someone.

God Speed, Steven, we pray for you without regret, with affection for you, and respect to God.

Lawrence on November 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM

krome on November 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

It is not insensitive to offer prayers for someone, whether that person is a believer or not. And it is ridiculous to be offended at an honest gesture of goodwill such as offering prayers. I submit those such offended are simply looking for a reason to be offended.

Shump on November 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Get better quickly.

kingsjester on November 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Ed. I’m certain this individual is not offended by you offering or requesting prayers for him.

And if he is, well . . .

Imagine preparing someone from another country the most delicious meal you can, and serving it to him with love. Now imagine that person rises up in indignation that you haven’t prepared for him the same foods his mother did.

That’s not a very good analogy, I know, but the spirit of it is the same. No one should apologize for wishing the best for someone and doing what they believe may help him, just because the other person doesn’t have the same beliefs.

If someone loved me, and did a ceremony consisting of red candles in the dark of the moon he thought would help me, would I say thanks and take the gesture in the spirit in which it was intended, or would I get all huffy and say, “How dare you! You know I don’t believe in that candle rubbish!”

You are apologizing to the man for caring about him. You are assuming – probably unfairly – that he might be offended by it.

I could come up with a hundred more lame analogies. But just one more – it reminds me of a parent bending over backwards to please a spoiled, demanding and ungrateful child who doesn’t appreciate the fact he is loved. Any atheist who misses the forest for the trees like that doesn’t deserve any apology for “offending” him by caring about him in the wrong way. My brother was an atheist who was never offended by the love and prayers of others, and I’m sure this individual isn’t either.

Alana on November 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM