“Only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus”
posted at 5:44 pm on November 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey
Tired of overcrowded prisons, but also want to punish the moderately wicked? The Associate Press reports on a new trend in jurisprudence, or really a return to an old trend: public shaming. Instead of or in addition to jail time for criminal offenses, judges have offered creative solutions to drive the point home to the recently convicted of the stupidity of their actions. This one’s my favorite, from today:
I’m not sure that anyone stupid enough to drive on the sidewalk to pass a school bus will get a clue from this punishment … but at least everyone will know to avoid her on the road in the future. Follow the link to find more examples.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation