Green Room

Luke … I really am your father

posted at 2:51 pm on November 13, 2012 by

I can’t help it — I am a sucker for these feel-good stories about men and women in the service surprising their children with an early return from a tour of duty.  Add in the Star Wars angle, and how can anyone resist this?

A Navy reservist unexpectedly returned home to Kansas from his Middle East deployment this Halloween, dressing up like Darth Vader to surprise his five-year-old son and six-year-old daughter.

Welcome home, Justin Whyte, to a grateful nation and your loving family. May they all come home in such joy.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Cute but as I recall Vader killed thousands if not millions without any remorse including his wife who was preggers at the time. I’m not sure Vader is a good role model for a young boy.

Frank Enstine on November 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Frank Enstine on November 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I have spent years researching The Galactic Empire and there is not ONE piece of evidence that says Lord Vader committed any crime!

dernst2 on November 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Love it (and would even if I weren’t a Boba Fett lovin’ Star Wars nerd)! Lucky kids.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Ed, love these videos, too.

Suggestion: In the absence of OOTD, it might be fun to have a once-a-week thread, say on Sunday, where you embed the top “return home” videos from the week and let us vote on them. :)

TXUS on November 13, 2012 at 4:12 PM

TXUS on November 13, 2012 at 4:12 PM

What, has OOTD been eliminated as some weird by-product of the election? Did Attackwatch finally shut it down?

Loved the video. And I really do also like the idea of voting on something uplifting.

pianomomma on November 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM

dernst2 on November 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Well Done! :)

Frank Enstine on November 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Really, really cool.

Alpha_Male on November 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

pianomomma on November 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Yes, Ed decided to shut it down, but will be voting on the next several Sundays for OOTY and then a final voting on Obamateurism of his presidency.

TXUS on November 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I’d rather vote for Darth Vader than have another four years of Teh Won. At least Vader could do cool stuff like make things float and choke people from across the room.

Nutstuyu on November 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Winter allergies acting up again.

princetrumpet on November 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Nutstuyu on November 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Maybe Vader could substitute during Obama’s second term?

Under New Management: Now 35% Less Evil!

tom on November 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM

TXUS on November 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Thanks for the update. Somehow I missed the announcement about that.

pianomomma on November 13, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Do not underestimate the power of the D’awww Side.

ZK on November 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Love it (and would even if I weren’t a Boba Fett lovin’ Star Wars nerd)!
Lucky kids.
Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Heh. Boba Fett fans unite?!!!

AH_C on November 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM