Green Room

That awkward moment when the mistress talks about the wife…

posted at 1:27 pm on November 12, 2012 by

The Washington Examiner has dug up an interview of David Petraeus mistress Paula Broadwell from January with Don Imus. In the interview, Broadwell was asked about Petraeus’s wife, Holly. At the time, Broadwell was heavily engaged in an affair with her husband. As if the questioning about Holly Petraeus wasn’t awkward enough, Imus also hits on Broadwell during the interview.

IMUS: Is he married?

BROADWELL: He is married to Holly Petraeus, who is a wonderful Military spouse and done so much for their children and for children of fallen soldiers, I respect her immensely.

IMUS: So he must have liked you obviously and you obviously liked him, I guess.

BROADWELL: Yes, it was a– you know, as I said earlier, he has a number of mentees and that’s one thing that’s different when you compare him to other Senior Commanders, he looks at the organization, the military as an organization and is willing to take ideas from any rank, not that my ideas were that good, but, yeah, we had a lot of rapport. I think some of that comes from a common ground of having gone to West Point.

IMUS: Right.

IMUS: Why the title “All In”?

BROADWELL: I think that captures his philosophy towards life and service and regardless of his rank as I sort of traced his live history. He goes all in and he works, you know, the– as far as the hours he puts in, so are many troopers, but he really puts the nation first and foremost and embraces the West Point mantra of duty, honor country and I was trying to capture something that personified the way that he viewed life, that’s all in.

IMUS: What kind of running do you do?

BROADWELL: What kind of running do you do?

IMUS: I don’t do much running anymore, do you run marathon?

BROADWELL: No, I run eight miles a day.

IMUS: What kind of splits?

BROADWELL: For my miles? Well, try to get down to run a six minute mile but in general I train around a seven minute mile.

IMUS: Your arms look good, like my wife’s arms. It looks like you’re in shape.

BROADWELL: And let’s bring it back to the book–

. . .

IMUS: You know, you don’t need me to tell you this, but somebody ought to do a book about you. Have you been on 60 Minutes.

BROADWELL: Just a soccer mom having a good time, Imus.

IMUS: Have you been on 60 Minutes?

BROADWELL: No, I haven’t.

IMUS: I bet you will be. Good for you, you made me he want to read it.

Just awful. Broadwell not only praises Holly Petraeus while knowing she was sleeping with her husband, but also mentions her own children in the interview.

UPDATE: Here is video of the interview. Broadwell refers to Petraeus as her mentor.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

IMUS: Have you been on 60 Minutes?
BROADWELL: No, I haven’t.
IMUS: I bet you will be. Good for you, you made me he want to read it.

Don Imus… prophet!

Marcola on November 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Marcola— now that right there is funny as all get out!

chickie on November 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

She is not his mistress.

VorDaj on November 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I wasn’t sure if she meant “Mentos” or manatees, then I realized she probably meant protege.

oldleprechaun on November 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM

“She is not his mistress.”

What word would you use? “succubus”?

NahnCee on November 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Where are these kind of soccer moms?

portlandon on November 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Just a simple girl working her way up the patrimoney!!!!

wukong on November 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Eight miles is something to be proud of. Bet her book is a best seller and she won’t even have to do a promotional tour.

a capella on November 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Hey, she’s pretty good looking. At lest there’s that. [He must be a Republican.]

Lorien?

stvnscott on November 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Prayers for Mrs. Petraeus as she works through this most difficult time. Hoping for much karma for Mr. P and his shameless hussy. Undignified and inexcusable behavior.

sheesh on November 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I have a mentor. I never did that with him though.

CycloneCDB on November 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM

sheesh on November 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM

On the surface – I agree with the sentiment. However, let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. Ms. Petraeus is an Obama drone too, apparently. If she took the “take one for the team”/Hillary line, I don’t feel terribly sorry for her.

CycloneCDB on November 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM

IMUS: Why the title “All In”?

Oy!

BuckeyeSam on November 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I have a mentor. I never did that with him though.

CycloneCDB on November 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM

You’ll probably never be as famous as she is right now.

a capella on November 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Somebody needs to ask Imus so we know for certain, but based on that interview he did with her, I suspect that someone tipped him to the “open secret” about her and the general, and he was fishing.

Rockshine on November 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Rockshine on November 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Don’t know about that, but how many “biographers” have you ever seen who looked like that? When I saw that interview and heard about the extent of the access she had to Petraeus and his people, I wondered about the relationship then, as I’m sure Imus did. Human nature.

TXUS on November 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM

She refers a couple of times to “troopers” (not troops). I’m not familiar with the use of that term, is it a common term for a soldier?

SoRight on November 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM

If we could only get hold of those emails, the ones where she talks about all the places they had whoopie. We could develop a board game like Clue or something. You know, Mrs. Boardwell under the desk. Work with me here.

Kissmygrits on November 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Top Pick

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

Top Pick

Irreligion.

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”

Currently doing a search for “good international trade lawyers”

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

At least their address rarely changes

It just keeps on happening

“Trump is good for business right now.”

Start spreading the news…

“Now it’s time for the next step.”

A “cryptic” warning to Bashar al-Assad?

Jazz Shaw Jun 27, 2017 8:01 AM

The three strikes rule may be in effect

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”