Are you ready for Secretary of State Huntsman?
posted at 5:01 pm on November 12, 2012 by Allahpundit
The chances of another early favorite, Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry, are hampered by Democrats’ fear that Republican Scott Brown, who lost his Massachusetts Senate seat Tuesday, could win Kerry’s seat in a race to replace him.
Officials, however, are pointing to Jon Huntsman, the former Utah governor, Obama’s ambassador to China and Republican presidential candidate, and the State Department’s current No. 2, William Burns.
Huntsman is still widely respected by the administration even if he’d hoped to unseat Obama. Choosing Huntsman would allow the president to claim bipartisanship while putting an Asia expert in the job at a time when the U.S. is focusing more attention on the world’s most populous continent.
Choosing someone from the other party is one thing, choosing someone who loudly accused you of weakening America through your foreign policy in hopes of replacing you as president is something else. How would Huntsman transition from the clip below to top diplomat on Team Hopenchange? If anything, with Libya and Egypt crumbling, the U.S. is in a weaker position internationally now than when he first made these comments last year.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation