Green Room

Video: Mojave Cross rededicated to WWI vets

posted at 4:49 pm on November 11, 2012 by

A feel-good story for Veterans Day:

A cross honoring those who died in World War I was returned after being stolen two years ago. Fox News reporter Dominic Di-Natale reported from Barstow, California where a rededication ceremony was taking place for the Mojave Desert cross. It was originally raised in 1934 and was at the center of a national controversy over the separation of church and state.

The objections over the cross being place on public land went all the way to the Supreme Court. The cross was hidden from the public and eventually stolen in a nighttime heist but returned about a week ago. The one raised in the ceremony today was the replacement that had been made, but as Di-Natale reports, for veterans it is really about the meaning behind the Mojave Desert cross.

Happy Veterans Day — and may God continue to bless America with patriotic men and women like you.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

What wonderful news to read on Veterans Day. Thanks for the well-wishes, too.

SGT. Vulcha

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

SGT. Vulcha

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Thank you and all the other veterans. I’ll toast my great uncle later.

rbj on November 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Thanks for posting that Ed. Maybe you can insert the Flanders Field poem at the end? My mother always recited it because they had to learn it when she was in school in the 30s, back when the country stood for something.

TxAnn56 on November 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Thank you and all the other veterans. I’ll toast my great uncle later.

rbj on November 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Much appreciated, rbj. I’ll be sure to toast your great uncle too!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I hardly recognize the country I once served. I wonder how many of the best and brightest will bolt from service as soon as they can because they know they have a milquetoast cic. It will only weaken us more. It is all part of the ones plan. Bring us to our knees. I owe no allegiance, only to Christ.

crosshugger on November 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

crosshugger on November 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I have many family members that are serving and have served. I frequent gun show and the ranges, where I meet young enlistees. They truly are the best and brightest. Real patriots. Want to honestly serve their country. The fish rots from the head down. The body hasn’t rotted out yet.

And you are correct, we are not to live in fear, but in victory, our hope is in Christ.

tom daschle concerned on November 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

crosshugger on November 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I know precisely how you feel. I was red-hot for revenge after 9/11, talked with recruiters at my high school, took the ASVAB and got an incredibly high score.

But as things went from iffy to bad to WTF, I just plain lost heart. And let me tell you right now it tore me up emotionally. I see no point in starting now only to get maimed or killed in a soon-to-be-wasted effort ‘commanded’ by a man-child who couldn’t run a minstrel show. I’ll fight for my nation in a war…but this brother is no war.

MelonCollie on November 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM

…Thank You Veterans!

KOOLAID2 on November 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM

But as things went from iffy to bad to WTF, I just plain lost heart.

If 9-11 wasn’t a motivation to join the military to defend your country, nothing can happen to us that would make you. Check this out, most men and women I know endured over a decade of deployments after it got, “iffy”.

Great rationalization there.

hawkdriver on November 12, 2012 at 6:31 AM

“Thank G-d they restored the crucifix. All my deceased veteran relatives will appreciate it

Sol Rabinowitz”

plewis on November 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Sol Rabinowitz”

plewis on November 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I don’t believe anyone would have any heartburn about a private Jewish organization commemorating the WWI dead is a similar way.

hawkdriver on November 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM