Green Room

WaPo: Broadwell sent threatening e-mails to another woman close to Petraeus

posted at 5:17 pm on November 10, 2012 by

So yeah, this is every bit as tawdry and soap opera-ish as you might have suspected.

The collapse of the dazzling career of CIA Director David H. Petraeus was triggered when a woman with whom he was having an affair sent threatening e-mails to another woman close to him, according to three senior law enforcement officials with knowledge of the episode.

The recipient of the e-mails was so frightened that she went to the FBI for protection and help tracking down the sender, according to the officials. The FBI investigation traced the threats to Paula Broadwell, a former military officer and a Petraeus biographer, and uncovered explicit e-mails between Broadwell and Petraeus, the officials said…

The identity of the woman who received the e-mails was not disclosed, and the nature of her relationship with Petraeus is unknown. The law enforcement officials said the e-mails indicated that Broadwell perceived the other woman as a threat to her relationship with Petraeus…

The law enforcement officials did not provide an exact timeline for the investigation, but they said that the inquiry started at least several weeks ago. They said investigators thought they were dealing with a routine harassment case until they discovered the e-mails were traced to a private e-mail account belonging to Petraeus.

Am I reading that last bit right? Broadwell was sending the e-mails from Petraeus’s own Gmail account? And yet there are no criminal charges in the offing? Again, the only way I can square that is if he had somehow voluntarily granted her access to that account, presumably as a resource for her writings about him.

A little more on Broadwell from a “senior military source” who spoke to Business Insider. “P4″ is, of course, Petraeus:

I’ve known her for a few years, probably five or six. When she started work on the bio she called me for background on one of the general’s previous deployments. I probably gave her four hours or so, and we stayed in touch after that by email and an occasional phone call. Over that time, she went from someone very likeable to a shameless self-promoting prom queen. A very disturbing shift in how she carried herself. If she knew P4 was going to make an appearance at an event, she’d crash it without an invitation (she actually did this at the wedding of some close friends of mine) and photo bomb[ed] sic everyone there.

According to the NYT, the woman who received the threatening e-mails from Broadwell wasn’t a family member but she also wasn’t a government official. That makes me think the e-mails must have been truly hair-raising. The threshold for the FBI to take up a cyber-harassment case between what at first appeared to be two random private citizens must be high. What did Broadwell say in those e-mails to make the feds take this so seriously?

Update: Good point from the comments:

Yeah, but they didn’t arrest Broadwell, so how hair raising could they be?

Even if she doesn’t work in government, maybe the woman who received the e-mails has enough status in her own sphere that the FBI felt obliged to take the attempt to harass her seriously.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

So the head of the CIA allowed himself to be taken down by some bunny boiler? If this were a novel, no one would believe it.

Kataklysmic on November 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Guess you can’t prosecute this Broadwell woman if you don’t want the emails to become public….I wonder how high up that decision went.

BettyRuth on November 10, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Yeah, but they didn’t arrest Broadwell, so how hair raising could they be?

If Petraeus was banging two broads at the same time, it’s possible he was banging three…or four…or five. Hell, the sky’s the limit!

Blake on November 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM

So Patreus had an affair with a crazy woman. Terrific.

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM

No criminal charges…maybe she cooperated with the FBI.

runner on November 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Blake on November 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM

If she is crazy she could have been imagining Patreus was having an affair with someone else because he called it quits with her.

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Yeah, that’s my gut reaction. That’s why I posted the Business Insider piece.

Allahpundit on November 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM

This gets more and more sordid and the WaPo and the NYT seems to have the story as if they always had it. I wonder if the letter to the ethicist was written by the other “other woman”, La Broadwell, or another well, broad? Still think a journalist is a possibility as the letter writer. It’s amazing how fast they have all this information, and how they vet the people involved.

Why did Klosterman publish it, if he thought it was so unethical and questioned the writer’s motives? Curious, no?

clnurnberg on November 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Oh, come on! You really don’t think that she was Petraeus’ first and only one, do you? He is a playa!

Blake on November 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

JPeterman on November 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I’m certain that a carefully contrived narrative is slowly being spoon fed to the msm. The purpose and degree of veracity of that narrative remain to be determined.

ElectricPhase on November 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I learned more about Petraeus and his love life in the last 24 hours than I’ve learned about Bengahzi in 2 months. Reporters sure can report a story if they want to, huh?

joejm65 on November 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Blake on November 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I have no idea. Just not gonna trust the suspicions of a nutty person.

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Paula is connected with the Rolling Stone, so is Klosterman’s wife. Lib journalism sets the stage for the downfall. Still say he should have spilled the truth on Benghazi before the election.

clnurnberg on November 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM

joejm65 on November 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

You know I think there is one thing Lefties and Righties in America can agree on: Our news media is superficial and stupid!

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

So, the CIA chief has an ongoing affair, or affairs, a bit of a problem for US security that goes beyond personal failing, and it gets missed during the vetting process. Nice.

runner on November 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM

runner on November 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM

They never missed it, they turned it over to King Obama for future use as “leverage” aka “blackmail”.

JPeterman on November 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

ElectricPhase on November 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

We can never trust what we’re being told here. The LSM has shown that they are willing to lie, cover up and distort to further their agendas. Who knows what we’re not being told and who is the “aggressor” in this.

Now she’s a bunny boiler? What happened to the story where he was then one who sent her thousands of emails after SHE broke up.

Nope. While I’m having absolutely no problem with reveling in the downfall of one of the Benghazi scammers (Petraeus), I’m still keeping in mind that a fair part of it is probably media BS and the “real” story is still untold.

kim roy on November 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I don’t get this.

Didn’t she eventually turn him away so that he was pursuing her through an e-mail campaign?

Then, more recently, she’s pursuing him to the point of cyber-stalking another woman or other women with whom Petraeus was associated?

We need a timeline on this relationship and its aftermath.

We need a timeline of the FBI’s investigation.

Finally, let’s lay these two timelines over the Benghazi timetables.

BuckeyeSam on November 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Well at least NOW the bhopress might get to putting benghazi before their viewers if/when petraeus deals at the hearings? That is would be nice?
L

letget on November 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Another woman involved in this? See men, there is a lesson here. This is what happens when you lose control of your women.

Alabama Infidel on November 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Alabama Infidel on November 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Or a man can stay true to his vows and remain faithful to his wife. That’s always an option.

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM

So Patreus had an affair with a crazy woman. Terrific.

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM

…Valarie Jarrett on line one…please!

KOOLAID2 on November 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Have you seen Paula Broadwell?

Not saying you’re wrong, but that’s a lot of temptation for a fit old geezer!

ElectricPhase on November 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM

…maybe the woman who received the e-mails has enough status in her own sphere that the FBI felt obliged to take the attempt to harass her seriously.

Maybe it was Mrs. Petraeus.

IrishEi on November 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Ummmm, yeah, did you all ever think it might have been his wife?

bloggless on November 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I do gotta say this. He is a bent over old man. WTF?

bloggless on November 10, 2012 at 6:58 PM

When we know the identity of the recipient of the emails we may just find out why the FBI took this so seriously. BTW, does the FBI investigate all threatening or harassing emails..?

d1carter on November 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM

kim roy on November 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Half of what we are hearing could be lies, and the other half out of context.

sharrukin on November 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM

From the article

The officials said the woman did not work at the CIA and was not Petraeus’s wife, Holly.

It wasn’t his wife.

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Have you seen Paula Broadwell?

ElectricPhase on November 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM

What does it matter what she looks like? That’s his wife and the mother of his children.

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Wow, this story is at least getting easier to understand! She was angry because he broke up with her…or, he was sending her thousands of emails when she broke up with him…er, hmmmm. Hard to reconcile those two. My first thought was the woman who went to the FBI was Mrs. Petraeus…let’s face it, THAT would get their attention…I really feel for Mrs. Petraeus…my husband said the same thing…he gave me the, ‘you’ve got to be sh*ttin’ me’, look, when i told him. Oh, how the mighty fall…

ellifint on November 10, 2012 at 7:12 PM

It wasn’t his wife.

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Oops…didn’t click the link.

As a husband, Petraeus is a weasel. However, why is it that the women in these episodes seem to escape criticism for their adultery…whether they themselves are married or not. Broadwell cheated on her own husband with a married man. She is a piece of crap in my book as well. And I’m not talking about just married women. What about Monica Lewinsky? Sure, Clenis is a womanizing rapist ba$tard, but Lewinsky (and millions of other single women) think nothing of bedding a married man! What kind of person would do that? Takes two to tango.

IrishEi on November 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM

/facepalm

I wasn’t being serious.

Honestly we have no idea what’s really going on–and we may never know. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised to learn that Petraeus is and always has been faithful to his wife. The surrounding circumstances are making my bullsh– detector ring off the hook.

ElectricPhase on November 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Oops…didn’t click the link.

IrishEi on November 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Cheating is cheating in my book. Both are equally guilty in my book. Monica Lewinsky was made into a joke.

I’m single woman……and NEVER would I think it is alright to sleep with a married man.

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM

terryannonline on November 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I’m with you.

IrishEi on November 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Maybe he was training the Secret Service…

djl130 on November 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Maybe he was training the Secret Service…

djl130 on November 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Damn you. I have iced tea dripping out of my nose.

ElectricPhase on November 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM

adultery is risky business…can we all remember lisa nowak?

very sad

r keller on November 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

This whole story just seems very strange, especially in lieu of the Benghazi tragedy. I was ready to blame the administration for throwing Patraeus under the bus yesterday, now I’m thinking perhaps he was so involved with the extramarital affair that maybe he was derelict in his duties. I guess as it turns out he is the one who told the president the attacks were all the result of the youtube video, and the president acted on that information and perhaps that’s why it took 19 hours to get help on the ground in Libya? Or are he and Panetta throwing Patraeus under the bus to clear their own dereliction of duties? Gaaa, it’s so mind boggling.

scalleywag on November 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I wonder if the “other woman” was Hillary?

bocephus on November 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I have read some reports that the Benghazi site wasn’t a consulate, but rather a CIA station where they were coordinating the flow of arms to Syrian rebels which included some very radical Muslim groups. That would explain the lack of security and the ‘stand down’ order, as well as the FBI delay in getting to the site.

Anybody know anything about that?

sharrukin on November 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I wonder if the “other woman” was Hillary?

bocephus on November 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Actually, I think it is Debbie Washerman Shultz.

Sticky Wicket on November 10, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Broadwell was probably taking lessons from Taylor Swift on how to crash weddings.

Drill and Fill on November 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM

kim roy on November 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Media is only psy-ops today.

the_nile on November 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM

If she’s such a bunny-boiler, why did she cut it off with “P4″ and he come after her with thousands of emails?

Lord knows what she said. Maybe she warned someone to keep quiet rather than to back up off her general.

She’s awfully accomplished for a bunny-boiler, too. I’m really not sure what to make of her. She worked Black ops when out of West Point; a honeytrap/reputation spoiler to keep P4 in line is not out of the question. Someone must have caught on well before his appointment to CIA, and I can’t believe no one noticed.

She was embedded (no pun intended) in Afghanistan with P. for over a year. Although a busy little self-promoter, and obviously attempting to network, I can’t find anything PUBLIC that she’s written that sounds like she wound too tight or more pushy than many assorted pundits and authors I know.

SarahW on November 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Maybe the email was sent anonymously to someone in a position to do some damage. Maybe Broadwell’s cuckholded spouse sought solace somewhere or confided in someone, and the scary-mail was for benefit of making them shut up.

SarahW on November 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Anybody know anything about that?
sharrukin on November 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Glenn Beck – Obama’s Bay of Benghazi Fiasco (YouTube)

whatcat on November 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM

SarahW on November 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM

They’re used to change their coverstories…

the_nile on November 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM