Green Room

WaPo: Broadwell sent threatening e-mails to another woman close to Petraeus

posted at 5:17 pm on November 10, 2012 by

So yeah, this is every bit as tawdry and soap opera-ish as you might have suspected.

The collapse of the dazzling career of CIA Director David H. Petraeus was triggered when a woman with whom he was having an affair sent threatening e-mails to another woman close to him, according to three senior law enforcement officials with knowledge of the episode.

The recipient of the e-mails was so frightened that she went to the FBI for protection and help tracking down the sender, according to the officials. The FBI investigation traced the threats to Paula Broadwell, a former military officer and a Petraeus biographer, and uncovered explicit e-mails between Broadwell and Petraeus, the officials said…

The identity of the woman who received the e-mails was not disclosed, and the nature of her relationship with Petraeus is unknown. The law enforcement officials said the e-mails indicated that Broadwell perceived the other woman as a threat to her relationship with Petraeus…

The law enforcement officials did not provide an exact timeline for the investigation, but they said that the inquiry started at least several weeks ago. They said investigators thought they were dealing with a routine harassment case until they discovered the e-mails were traced to a private e-mail account belonging to Petraeus.

Am I reading that last bit right? Broadwell was sending the e-mails from Petraeus’s own Gmail account? And yet there are no criminal charges in the offing? Again, the only way I can square that is if he had somehow voluntarily granted her access to that account, presumably as a resource for her writings about him.

A little more on Broadwell from a “senior military source” who spoke to Business Insider. “P4″ is, of course, Petraeus:

I’ve known her for a few years, probably five or six. When she started work on the bio she called me for background on one of the general’s previous deployments. I probably gave her four hours or so, and we stayed in touch after that by email and an occasional phone call. Over that time, she went from someone very likeable to a shameless self-promoting prom queen. A very disturbing shift in how she carried herself. If she knew P4 was going to make an appearance at an event, she’d crash it without an invitation (she actually did this at the wedding of some close friends of mine) and photo bomb[ed] sic everyone there.

According to the NYT, the woman who received the threatening e-mails from Broadwell wasn’t a family member but she also wasn’t a government official. That makes me think the e-mails must have been truly hair-raising. The threshold for the FBI to take up a cyber-harassment case between what at first appeared to be two random private citizens must be high. What did Broadwell say in those e-mails to make the feds take this so seriously?

Update: Good point from the comments:

Yeah, but they didn’t arrest Broadwell, so how hair raising could they be?

Even if she doesn’t work in government, maybe the woman who received the e-mails has enough status in her own sphere that the FBI felt obliged to take the attempt to harass her seriously.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

She is a reserve officer Captain, U.S. Navy, a Test Naval Flight Officer, and was working on a Ph.D at Kings College London an Astronaut. She and her husband were big in social circles in Charlotte Houston. This is all gone.

Fatal Attraction happens.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I think her writing career is seriously damaged because every one will be wondering if she is boinking the subject.

Blake on November 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

That’s what she said!
whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 3:05 AM

HAHAHAHAHA!!
;)
Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 9:17 AM

When ya write a book titled “All in”, you just know it’s gonna be trouble.

whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Blake on November 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

And I can’t see any subject wanting to talk too much to a potential bunny boiler.

Wethal on November 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Wethal on November 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM

LOL!!!

Cindy Munford on November 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM

When ya write a book titled “All in”, you just know it’s gonna be trouble.

whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I bet her husband is thinking the very same thing!

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Haven’t read the thread, so someone may have already said this.

This stinks to high heaven of a serious cover-up over Benghazi.

Petraeus was supposed to testify, now he isn’t.

Someone high up, who, I don’t know, knew what was going on, and I honestly believe P was on the verge of being blackmailed…

He knows all about what happened with Benghazi, and someone had to shut him up!

Yeah yeah I know sounds conspiratorial…

I don’t think I am the only one tho…

My 2 cents worth…

Scrumpy on November 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Hey, Paula! Did you write that under your desk? Flat on your back?

Blake on November 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM

When ya write a book titled “All in”, you just know it’s gonna be trouble.
whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I bet her husband is thinking the very same thing!
;)
Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

She met him when she wrote her previous book, “All Empty”.

whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM

She met him when she wrote her previous book, “All Empty”.

whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Luckily, the General was eager to fill her void!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I have seen pictures of two different women making bedroom eyes at the General. One was his wife, and the other Paula Broadwell. I would hope I could resist temptation with Paula, because my wife is a hot number, but it appears that the General is not so fortunate. I hope she’s a great cook.

ps. Yes, my wife is a great cook, too.

drunyan8315 on November 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Luckily, the General was eager to fill her void!
Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

And she was fortunate to serve under him in a variety of positions.

whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Ladies… if a hot looking woman is following your husband around, pretending to be writing a book… he’s probably dipping his pen in her ink well.

faraway on November 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM

The FBI does not investigate the director of CIA so casually. This had to have White House approval and involvement. Democrats trying to destroy a possible GOP 2016 Candidate perhaps? They waste no time do they.

Dennis D on November 11, 2012 at 7:39 AM

It has another upside for the Dems: throw some mud on the military, who (unlike politicians) have consistently ranked very high in “who do you trust” polling.

bofh on November 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM

If the CIA Director is being investigated by the FBI… Are we?

faraway on November 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM

it appears that the General is not so fortunate. I hope she’s a great cook.

drunyan8315 on November 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM

She was when he married her 37 years ago.

She’s had his two kids and faithfully followed him around from base to base. She’s 60 now.

What will Broadwell look like then?

Wethal on November 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM

drunyan8315 on November 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Give her a break! The woman is in her 60s. Her husband is not hot to look at himself.

Blake on November 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM

And she was fortunate to serve under him in a variety of positions.

whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Yessiree! She saw to it that his weapon was standing tall. Polished it to a shine and cleaned gunk out of the barrel, no matter her risk of getting shot in the eye.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Too bad this had to happen, though. The General was relatively new to the job and pushing himself hard to learn the ins and outs when he found himself thrust deeply into this sad situation!

I need a cigarette…..

whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM

ps. Yes, my wife is a great cook, too.

drunyan8315 on November 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM

What happened to for better or worst? SO it’s ok if a spouse cheats if their significant other is less attractive? That’s messed up.

terryannonline on November 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Don’t forget that poor woman working her fingers to the bone, busting her hump, breaking a sweat day and night servicing the mission, never quitting her post until properly relieved!

I need a cigarette…..

whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I’m lighting two…

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Please pay attention to ” Rules for Radicales ” .
Benghazi + Petraeus = Chaos
Sure do like to hear ourselves talk when there
is a very simple ” principle ” at work .

Lucano on November 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Doesn’t mean the emails were hair raising. You’re the FBI and you receive a call that this women who has open access to Petraeus and is writing his biography is harassing someone (and have emails to back it up), you’re going to at least check it out. We’re talking about the someone with access to the CIA director, a general.

At may well have been handed to some low level officer “hey Bobby can you check this out, just make sure she’s clean, will you?”

and it went from there…

Sheya on November 11, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I’m lighting two…
Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I know it was good for me…..

whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Broadwell sent threatening e-mails to another woman

…yep!…she’s a democrat!

KOOLAID2 on November 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM

If the CIA Director is being investigated by the FBI… Are we?

faraway on November 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM

If you don’t think this regime is using all available resources to marginalize political enemies, you’re fooling yourself.

CycloneCDB on November 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

BTW – isn’t Jill Kelley a p0rn star?

CycloneCDB on November 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

bofh on November 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Precisely.

CycloneCDB on November 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I know it was good for me…..

whatcat on November 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Best entendre-thon I’ve ever had. May we find other juicy targets to play with in future.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Indeed. Until then I’m basking in the afterglow.

whatcat on November 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM