Green Room

Legislators take a break from destroying California to endorse “Meatless Monday”

posted at 3:16 pm on November 10, 2012 by

It’s the L.A. City Council in this case. Nice to see the concept of “bread and circus” once again involving actual bread:

The Los Angeles council, in a 14-0 vote on Friday, adopted a resolution urging residents to adopt a personal pledge to have a “meatless Monday.”

While it does not have the force of law and police will not be checking what you brought to work for lunch, city officials said they hope it will start a trend, make residents healthier and reduce the impact on the environment.

“This follows the ‘good food’ agenda we recently adopted supporting local, sustainable food choices,” said Councilwoman Jan Perry, who has called for a ban on new fast-food restaurants in South Los Angeles to fight obesity.

Here’s what they weren’t talking about while they were busy talking about the evils of meat. New York City hasn’t gone this route yet but it’s right in Bloomberg’s wheelhouse so I’m expecting action soon. He may not be good at making sure NYC has gasoline after a major storm but if you want to know the comparative health benefits of tofu burgers, say, he’s your man. That’s what proactive, can-do government is all about.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

“Leaders of the party, the storm hoops, the Hitler Youth, and various other organisations and all their paid officers must not eat meat or butter on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. All state officials who are members of the party must not eat meat or butter on Wednesdays and Fridays. All good Germans are urgently invited to follow their example,”

Realist on November 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

The only people who might even hear of these city council directives are city employees. People will eat what they want. Believe me the council members will be doing the same.

Blake on November 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Even though I live in New Jersey, I’ll be eating meat every Monday now. I’ll be sure to email the LA City Council a picture every week as well.

VinceOfDoom on November 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

VinceOfDoom on November 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Just be sure not to do that when you eat bacon–apparently you can be hauled off to jail for publicizing things that islamists find offensive.

Mr. Prodigy on November 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I think they are just covering up the fact that no one can afford meat anymore.

Night Owl on November 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Had they voted for “Meatless Friday,” the ACLU would be all over their a-s-s-e-s. Something about establishment of religion, or something.

steebo77 on November 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

As opposed to meatless Fridays?

rbj on November 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I keep praying for the big quakes that will send the coasts somewhere other than here.

teejk on November 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Endorse? Not enforce?

And they call themselves progressive Californians? Pantywaists.

HitNRun on November 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

…here’s a more constructive idea!…why don’t those 14 folks from the LA council save water… and pi$$ and sh!t themselves every Monday…and not wash their clothes for the rest of the week!

KOOLAID2 on November 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Have a look at LA City Council member Paul Koretz.

Why hasn’t the city council passed a law to put this man on a diet?

VinceOfDoom on November 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Think of the energy savings if that council only met once a week, or once a month, or dare I dream, once a year.

BDavis on November 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM

In a way…

… living in Southern California has prepared me for the second term of Obowma. I have already been living through it.

High unemployment, high gas and food prices, regulations up the a%s, political corruption, bureaucratic fraud, waste, and abuse, failing schools, illegals have more rights than citizens, eroding infrastructure, no accountability, and now ‘meatless Mondays’…

… Time for the rest of the Country to experience it.

Enjoy…!

Seven Percent Solution on November 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

How about veggie-free Fridays? Not everybody like veggies or salads–I know a lot of people who refuse to eat them. Of course I understand their need to ingest their quota of pesticides (yeah, you really think they don’t use them?) and of course, Ecoli bacteria from the “organic” fertilizers they use.

stukinIL4now on November 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I have to laugh at the environmentalist imitation of Christianity – we Christians have had meatless Fridays for hundreds of years. Just another sign that environmentalism is working very hard to be a religion…
Susan Lee

Susan Lee on November 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I like lettuce, tomato, and a slice of onion on my cheese burgers.

Blake on November 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Nice for her to think of her unemployed constitutes she represents. She publicly wanting to deny them jobs, but yet they still vote for her.

BJ on November 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

BJ on November 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

there’s no meat in re-fried beans (if you don’t count rats of course).

teejk on November 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Realist on November 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Wow. Thank you. I wasn’t sure if that was real or not until I googled it.

What an excellent first comment for this headline.

WeekendAtBernankes on November 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM

“Looks like meat’s” NOT “back on the menu boys” so says the gang of 14!
Where do these people come from?

Lan Astaslem

fewenuff on November 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

1944 cartoon Meatless Flyday

JimC on November 10, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Who can afford meat?

JPeterman on November 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM

They really like their fruits and nuts out in California.

Flange on November 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM

there’s no meat in re-fried beans (if you don’t count rats of course).

teejk on November 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I make’em with bacon grease.

juliesa on November 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Endorse? Not enforce?

And they call themselves progressive Californians? Pantywaists.

HitNRun on November 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Give ‘em time. There’s another monday coming next week.

Alberta_Patriot on November 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Seven Percent Solution on November 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

With ya there.

BallisticBob on November 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Hell, if they would take a permanent break, I’d even support “Meatless Any-day-that-ends-in-y Day”

Glenn Jericho on November 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Speak for yourself.
I consider and endorsement of “Meatless Monday” part and parcel of destroying California.

Count to 10 on November 10, 2012 at 9:52 PM

there’s no meat in re-fried beans (if you don’t count rats of course).

teejk on November 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Real refried beans have lard.

Count to 10 on November 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM

How about “foodless Tuesday.” “Wait in the unemployment line Wednesday.” I think we need, “take responsibility for your actions Monday” and “show up to work on time Wednesdays.”

What I’d like to see is “I’m representing my congressional district by making decisions that benifit my constituents not just me and my cronies Thursdays.”

HHW on November 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM

The only thing the LA City Counsel is good for is raising taxes.

No worries, they’ll be bankrupt soon.

GarandFan on November 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I think I’ll roast a pig tomorrow (Monday) in their honor. Should I take a picture and send it to them?

Timothy S. Carlson on November 11, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Something like this.

Timothy S. Carlson on November 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Monday is a good day to eat some fish instead of red meat. Much healthier.
I would suggest a big pan of breaded and fried Hypomesus transpacificus with a nice salad and some appropriate wine.
Eat as much as you want. Those little fishes are soooo darn good!

kh6zv9 on November 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Monday is a good day to eat some fish instead of red meat.
*snip*
a big pan of breaded and fried Hypomesus transpacificus
*snip*
kh6zv9 on November 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Delta smelt – HA!

BTW: Why is government sounding more and more like a religion? “Don’t eat meat on Mondays” sounds an awful lot like the old ‘Fish Fridays’.

I guess communion is performed with food stamps and a 16oz (or smaller) sugary soft drink.

Timothy S. Carlson on November 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I don’t know still seems pretty destructive to the taste buds of California.

amazingmets on November 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I always try to eat a little extra meat … in order to make up for a vegetarian.

aunursa on November 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Coming soon: Meatless Weeks!

Still later: Meatless Months!

trigon on November 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Now that Obama has been reelected I may have to give up food altogether.

backwoods conservative on November 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Twenty dollar “wrap”, thirty-five dollar salad. These lefties who work for “the people of California” seem to be made of money.

Squiggy on November 11, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Why does Monday have to be meatless? Doesn’t Monday suck enough already? So I guess death by a million alliterative cliches (like what I did there? haha) is our new reality for the next few years.

I would also like to point out that the wide variety of delicious veggies available tear round here in the US are a direct result of eeeeevil capitalism. My family lived in a socialist utopia, and the only veggie they ever ate was pickled cabbage. Seriously. When relatives were finally able to visit us in the US, the first place we took them was the grocery store. I watched my uncle break down in tears in the produce section when I was a kid.

This is all just propaganda for when meat is too expensive to eat every day. Funemployment & meatless Monday! Rejoice comrades.

bitsy on November 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM

*year
**is
PIMF

bitsy on November 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Well,

For years the Catholic Church had meatless Fridays. Why not Friday?

Oh, I’m sorry that would be religious.

ckilmer on November 12, 2012 at 2:52 AM