Green Room

“We had to win this on the micro stuff,” says Messina

posted at 6:15 pm on November 9, 2012 by

No kidding. Via BuzzFeed:

“Politics too much is about analogies and not about whether or not things work,” Messina told BuzzFeed. “You have to test every single thing, to challenge every assumption, and to make sure that everything we do is provable.”

“That’s why I love numbers,” Messina said. “Because you know good or bad whether what you’re doing is working.”

Messina spoke to BuzzFeed Friday after sharing a panel stage with Romney aide Brian Jones at a conference for the International Association of Political Consultants at the Hilton New York. There, Messina and Jones evoked a contrast between one campaign that had the advantage on macro-messaging, and another that invested millions in analytics and metrics.

“We had had to win this on the micro stuff,” Messina said.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

economy schmeconomy

birth control, abortion, binders…yeah

cmsinaz on November 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM

small men win small victories.

#pyrrhicvictory

thebrokenrattle on November 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

And one less Republican voter in the world, as I will be dying of an irony-induced conniption in the next 10 seconds.

HitNRun on November 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM

For four years, though, you couldn’t be bothered to look at those “micro” unemployment numbers to figure out whether or not that was working?

Here’s a hint: above 8% for the entirety of the term.

The Schaef on November 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

You know who should be most upset about this? The lapdog media, that’s who. Using this micro targeting through Reddit and pinterest makes contact with the press completely avoidable. They can take whatever version of reality they want to spin directly to their zombie voters.

Now all we need are some zombie voters and Julia’s freedom loving wedding planner. 2016 is ours for the taking.

msmveritas on November 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Great. Congratulations, Mr. Messina. Now try governing on that. Remember the Pottery Barn rule Colin Powell once cited? You broke it, you own it.

Obama cracked the US wide open over his first term with ugly, divisive politics. Now he’s set to drive it over a cliff. It will be a terrible time while he’s in office.

Jill1066 on November 9, 2012 at 7:12 PM

President Kotex.

rockmom on November 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM

President Obama Claus. 60 million Americans sold us and our kids out to Chicago Santa for free stuff. Problem is Santa Obama isn’t magical and his “gifts” aren’t free.

jawkneemusic on November 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

It’s obviously very liberating when you can disregard the good of the country and focus exclusively on the needs and emotions of a single insatiable narcissist. Well done fellas.

SoRight on November 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Oh my God … A political consultants convention?! An entire hotel filled with those bottom-feeding scumbags? I hope the maids got hazmat suits to help them deal with cleaning the slimy trails left behind!

L.N. Smithee on November 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I don’t think there has ever been a group of slimy turds as the one in Chicago.

Joseph Russo III on November 9, 2012 at 11:21 PM

L.I.B. Let It Burn they can’t govern if you just stop caring. Here is how this works. Harry Reid wants 2.4 Trillion more on the depth ceiling, give him 100 Trillion. Look the 16 Trillion dollar isn’t real. It doesn’t exist. If it was areal debt ceiling how can they raise it every six months? Get it ? Its a con game, if theycan get you all riled up.over some number they win. Prepare your family cause its going down, and if you argue with them or compromise with them then you are smeared as a right wing extremist, but when you smile and let them keep digging the hole they own it. When their policies crash and burn, which they will,.their own free stuff zombies will revolt. Enjoy the Schadenfrede, it will be sweet.

L.I.B. all the way down then we pick up.the pieces.

stormridercx4 on November 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM

stormridercx4 on November 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I’ve considered your approach before, but then I look to California. Democrats actually picked up seats in that basket case to give themselves a supermajority. If we were to let Democrats own all of the next 2-4 years, they would expand the welfare rolls and cement their majority against the mayhem they’d bring upon everyone else. We already may be past that tipping point anyway.

The Count on November 10, 2012 at 7:11 AM

No criticism for Team Obama from me. They knew what they were doing and made Romney’s team look like incompetent amateurs.

They could not win on macro issues, which were bad for them, so they resorted to the micro issues which Romney did an awful job responding to.

milcus on November 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Truth is Romney ran a horrible campaign, in many ways it was a McCain campaign all over again. Lets be nice.

They ran nasty negative campaigns against Newt, Santorum, Perry, but went nice against Obama … stupid.

Economy, economy, economy!!

Why not general incompetence! Hammer Obama on Fast and Furious, Eric Holder in general, the Black Panthers case, crony capitalism, the 50 bankrupt alternative energy companies, Benghazi, all the coverups, the lack of transparency … why didn’t they attack him on everything?

“We lost because of the ground game, these micro issues” BS, you lost because you didn’t hit hard enough on the truth, as if the MSM was going to cover these issues. As if the MSM is your friend? Stupid.

Newt would have been a better candidate because he would have burned Obama to the ground!

odannyboy on November 10, 2012 at 9:46 AM

It’s amazing they plowed all that effort into analyzing the electorate, but not so much effort in analyzing unemployment.

I dislike these aholes more and more every day.

goflyers on November 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

How about this: We’ve got plenty of cash, let’s put it toward figuring out what low-info voters look at and care about and give them low-info messages. “Government does too much” is a great example, and it’s one message that is sinking in.

alwaysfiredup on November 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM

First order of business, say yes to sequestration and yes to allowing Bush tax cuts to expire. Take a trillion+ out of the budget will impact a lot of the free stuff. And allowing the tax cuts to go bust will be a wake up for all those BARKY VOTERS WHO MAKE THEIR 100-150 K and will be shocked to see how much mean old George saved them in taxes,especially after the renewal of the marriage penalty. And those small business guys should continue the layoffs. Let the Dems own it all.

xkaydet65 on November 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM

…I was a news hound with conservative radio and television stations for the last five years…24/7…and yes I checked on the other side periodically…I feel sodomized by these “consultants” since election night…and can’t watch them!
I guess it’s back to sports, music, etc. for me!

KOOLAID2 on November 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I guess it’s back to sports, music, etc. for me!

KOOLAID2 on November 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

There’s only so much news I can watch since last Tuesday, but I’ll start up again. People who love me wonder why I’m so glued to the news and talk shows. The answer is simple: Whenever I stop searching for the buried ledes, I end up believing MSM lies. That makes me no better informed than a low-info voter (which, sadly, includes people that I love dearly). That pisses me off.

I’m not a fan of The Matrix, but it’s kinda like that. When I read Michael Medved’s Hollywood vs. America, I, in a sense, took the red pill.

L.N. Smithee on November 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM
Top Pick

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city