Green Room

The road to Greece…

posted at 9:50 am on November 8, 2012 by

So, this is what’s happening in the country whose example we’re slowly but willfully following. From the WSJ:

The rate of unemployment in Greece rose to a new record in August as the country prepares for a further round of austerity and another year of economic contraction in 2013.

Elstat, the Greek statistical agency, Thursday said the seasonally adjusted rate of unemployment increased to 25.4% from 24.8% in July and 18.4% in August 2011. That was just below the 25.5% unemployment rate recorded by Spain in the same month, the highest in the European Union.

As in other parts of the EU, young people are finding it particularly difficult to find and hold on to jobs. Elstat said that among those 24 years of age or younger, the unemployment rate rose to 58.0% from 45% in the same month last year, and is now the highest among the bloc’s 27 members.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I still can’t figure out what Obama supporters thought the stakes were in this election. What did they think was going to happen if Romney won again?

Abortion made illegal? Rich people getting…richer? More of the “same policies that got us into this mess”?

I think that’s why so many Romney supporters have been hit so hard. They believe that this was our last chance at avoiding an economic collapse. What hope do we have that President Obama will change course on entitlement spending or regulatory growth? He may not get a second stimulus because of the House, but what are the chances that we’ll get the Grand Bargain with a man who can’t even manage his own Administration?

DeathtotheSwiss on November 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Own it 50%

No whining

cmsinaz on November 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM

OBAMAPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!

bgibbs1000 on November 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Don’t worry – the next move by SCOAMF/Dingy Harry will be to eliminate work search requirements for unemployment benefits.

Steve Eggleston on November 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM

To be fair, Greece has always set the pace for Western Civilization.

abobo on November 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Feeling pretty low right now. Husband had to go into residential real estate 3 years ago because he couldn’t find a job. I was working 2 part time jobs, now down to 1 because 1 company folded. I really had started to get optimistic thinking that if Romney won, then capital would be released and better times would be ahead and people would get jobs and start buying houses again. I have no plan B, we are going under and I don’t know what to do. My only consolation is that at 62 I am on my way out and not in, so I won’t have endure this misery much longer.

BeachBum on November 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

who’s example

Grammar Nazi: should be whose above. But no dispute on the substance.

Abobo: hadn’t thought of that. Chillinglly appropriate.

BeachBum: very sorry about your financial situation. I wish I could offer encouragement, but I can’t. Our country is in bad shape and about to get worse. Ugh.

jwolf on November 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM

“The path to hell is paved with good intentions.”

How so like the libs to walk with their hearts and sit on their brains.

LizardLips on November 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I’ve been thinking. Let’s go with the sequestration. Everyone’s taxes will go up. Entitlements will be cuts. Defence will be cut. Recession is a given.

No card check, which labour wants.
No postponement of entitlement cuts, which never happens.
Dems only want higher taxes and no deficit reduction.

Screw’em.

Resist We Much on November 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Greece 2012, aka America 2015

the wolf on November 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM

No card check, which labour wants.
No postponement of entitlement cuts, which never happens.
Dems only want higher taxes and no deficit reduction.

Screw’em.

Resist We Much on November 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Actually, entitlements won’t be cut. The big ones were exempted from sequestration.

Card check will be implemented by executive fiat.

Steve Eggleston on November 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Card check will be implemented by executive fiat.

Steve Eggleston on November 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

NLRB already has it in waiting, I’m sure.

stvnscott on November 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM

No card check, which labour wants.
No postponement of entitlement cuts, which never happens.
Dems only want higher taxes and no deficit reduction.

Screw’em.

Resist We Much on November 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Card check will be implemented by executive fiat.

Steve Eggleston on November 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

And the MSM will blame us anyway for doing nothing.

There is no option available. Just fold your company, transfer all assets to gold, and watch as the 57,000,000 Obamaphones all deteoriate into civil war.

Maybe we SHOULD go under. Let China take us over, and have Iran strike us with multiple A-Bombs at the same time they wipe Israel off the map.

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Myron Falwell on November 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

If the bombs were limited to “pure blue” cities I would almost wish for that. China wouldn’t have the men or resources to rule directly (thanks to their 1-child act), so it’s not like we’d suddenly have a million ChiComs on our shores herding people into camps.

MelonCollie on November 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I have the same feelings as everyone else here that this only ends one way with Obama as Prez. We only had to watch what he did after the 2010 midterms to see what he thinks about changing course at all.

My only wildcard that makes us different from Greece is that about 48% of us get what is going on. We have talk radio and Fox to communicate so we aren’t going to just go silently into the next recession. There will be some bitching about whose responsible unlike Greece where they ALL blindly went down the path together.

Anybody have thoughts how it goes when the liberals drag us kicking and screaming into the next economic collapse?

My experience is that in say a couple the one who made the bad decisions wants a piece of flesh from the one who did.

Conan on November 8, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Steve Eggleston on November 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM

At this point, f’it, I’ll sign up. Oh wait, I’m caucasian! No soup for me. Bet me!

Who is John Galt on November 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM

MelonCollie on November 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Urban Renewal – Sandy wasn’t enough.

Who is John Galt on November 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM