Green Room

Why last night was so troubling

posted at 12:19 pm on November 7, 2012 by

From my Townhall post-mortem:

Policy: Obamacare is Exhibit A.  It’s here to stay, even if certain elements of it are struck down or frustrated by states.  This enshrines a massive federal intrusion into citizens’ lives, raises the cost of healthcare, and exacerbates an existing doctor shortage.  It’s also fiscally unsustainable, guaranteeing that its failures will be exploited to push even more bad ideas in the future.  Exit polls showed most voters disapproving of the law, yet their voting decisions helped cement it into the American policy firmament.

Our politics: Mitt Romney, for all of his faults, ran an aggressive, well-funded, honorable campaign that (generally) focused on the very profound, very big, very urgent issues of our time.  He scored a major debate victory then sprinted toward the finish line, harnessing enthusiasm and momentum along the way.  But it wasn’t enough.  He was defeated by a small, petty, and overwhelmingly negative opponent whose turnout machine swamped all else.  The unserious and unseemly drumbeat of birth control, Big Bird, binders, and Blame Bush worked.  The “Kill Romney” strategy laid the groundwork for this successful approach.  The president offered no meaningful or sweeping vision for a second term, but it didn’t matter.  What an awful precedent.  I fear it says more about the nation than it does about the opportunistic and ruthless Obama campaign.  Two core assumptions must be re-evaluated: America the meritocracy, and America the center-Right nation.

Demographics: Romney performed very well among white voters, but got hammered by African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians, and young voters.  These problems aren’t going to magically disappear.  Obama the Alinskyite will almost certainly avail himself of coming opportunities to further marginalize Republicans with these groups, likely by pushing a flawed and partisan immigration reform package early in his second term.  It’ll be a win-win politically.  If it passes, he takes the credit.  If Republicans block it — even for entirely legitimate reasons — they’ll again be branded as the anti-minority bad guys, worsening their demographic problems.  Conservatives must begin to pick battles carefully and undertake the difficult process of expanding their appeal.  This will be a long, hard project.

I keep trying to decide which of these take-aways is the most disheartening.  Take your pick, I suppose.  I agree with Jim Geraghty (see his downtrodden ‘Morning Jolt’) that 2012 holds darker implications than the 2008 wave did — even though Obama’s margin was diminished, and the House remains in Republican hands.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That just makes the House the scapegoats for Obama and the MSM. I kind of wished we had lost the House and then make gains again in 2014. Oh well.

SAZMD on November 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

If I had to put my finger on it, I’d say what’s most troubling that there’s no good excuse given the state of the nation.

Liberals don’t have one either (though they’ll certainly take the result). Oh, yeah, they’ll honk if you ask them about binders full of women and the war against contraception and “reaching out” to minorities (whatever the —- that means), but they know well that’s a lot of BS and rah-rah campaign guff. The state of the nation was such that the incumbent should have lost.

That leads me to believe that the answer is Obama. He’s a sex icon. If he was white, he would be a geeky loser that never would have come near the White House and certainly would have lost last night.

That’s good news, as they can’t run him again.

HitNRun on November 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Look at the market reaction today. Consider our current Debt/GDP.

There will be a fiscal cliff coming soon, and I am not talking about tax cut expirations.

Despite of what we thought of 2010, there was no paradigm shift between 2008 and 2012. It might take a Greece/Spain type disaster to wake people up.

Regardless, the future is bleak.

Norwegian on November 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Why last night was so troubling

Michele Bachmann made it.

Alpha_Male on November 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM

What is says about our politics is the most disheartening, imo. Obama didn’t deserve to win based on that petty, negative campaign of his alone, and what it means going forward is that records and issues and resumes will mean even less than they did when our God King was running.

I’ll also add that the media is the big winner last night. They successfully protected Obama from any accountability for his record while promoting attacks on Romney. State-run communist outlets have nothing on our msm, and it means they will be even more emboldened to engage in partisan reporting as they seek to consolidate their gains. The bias was embarrassing, and it worked…expect even more blatant examples in the future.

Bottom line: we’re screwed.

changer1701 on November 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Hmmm.. all is not lost, and let me explain why…

1) The election turnout was down significantly, which means people didn’t want to vote for Obama OR Romney. And that’s a significant amount of people — 10-15 million voters. We should wonder why they didn’t vote, and then address it for 2016.

2) Obama has no agenda. As such, we’re seeing 4 years of the same policies. The good news is that he won’t be campaigning as much. But we’re going to see fiscal policies that will do nothing to help unemployment, help economic recovery, pay down the debt, secure social security & medicare. As a result, in 2016 it’s going to be the same economic malaise, and it will be much harder to blame Bush for it all.

3) Obama’s starting to reap his awful Foreign Policy. The next 4 years are going to pivotal in the Middle East, and I don’t think there’s anything in Obama’s deck that will address these problems. That’s going to make it harder for Biden or whoever to make a case to keep up the Democratic agenda.

If the economy improves, I’ll eat my hat. But I know it won’t.

Nethicus on November 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Norwegian on November 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Look at Greece though. They didn’t wake up. America won’t wake up.

mrscullen on November 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Doesn’t matter what happens from here on out, as Obamacare is now the permanent law of the land.

Without one’s health, one has nothing.

We now have nothing.

JFS61 on November 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Four more years of Obama policies will tarnish liberalism for several decades thereafter. That is the silver lining in the cloud.

Old Fritz on November 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Old Fritz on November 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Liberalism ?………..

Uh-uh … The born and raised Marxist STILL in the WH is way past…liberalism.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Old Fritz on November 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I can think of Nothing good to come from this election. Please tell me if you know anything!

congma on November 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Nethicus on November 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Your No 1. is a good point. Demographics rule the day. Traditional America is no longer. Time to reconoider.

Your No 2. – Ocommie DOES have an agenda, it’s an agenda that he could not run on – its the re-distributive Welfar State. Its coming now, and cannot be undone. Mostly Bexcause of No 1.

Your No 3. – No one voting for Barky cares about Foreign Policy, and welcomes Military cuts if it means more cheese for them. Benghazi ? Give it up… Shiite Happens… end of story. Iran nukes Israel…. who cares ? Certainly not the Jews in America. The less involved we are in the world- except for keeping the UN going – the happier Americans will be.

Keep repeating… Traditional America has vanished. Its NOT coming back.

FlaMurph on November 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Old Fritz on November 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Probably, but it’ll also send us into bankruptcy. Who cares if we get to tell 51% of the electorate “see we told you so” in 4 years if the economy is in ruins?

Doughboy on November 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM

The most amazing thing to me not mentioned here is that Romney got 2.5 million votes less than John McCain. That absolutely boggles my mind, I really don’t even know where to begin to process that. Who are the 2.5 million people who voted for McCain in 2008, but then couldn’t be bothered to show and vote this time? I can’t even conceive of that person.

Maybe we shoulda’ gone with Palin after all!

Progressive Heretic on November 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Who would of thought that the zombie apocalypse will be happening right here in the old USA when the government teat runs dry and the moochers come out of the cities to raid the countryside. Will you be ready to defend you and yours? That is the Obama path “forward”.

djtnt on November 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM

We are overplaying the notion that the nation has shifted seriously left. It’s shifting, yes, so avoid amnesty! But look at 2010! Record Repub gains, but we failed to carry the torch forward. Truth is, though his debate # 1 performance was outstanding and his rallies at the end were great, Romney was a seriously flawed candidate. He tried to be pretty much decent like McCain and so wouldn’t body slam O like O did to Romney, and Romney failed to capitalize on the issues like we did in ’10. And we spent the last two months talking about a side issue no one cares about: LIBYA! Think about it, we sounded like petty oafs blasting away about Libya, instead of talking about what really concerns people, Obamacare. Sad.

And another thing. ABORTION KILLED US. Without that issue, we probably would have won handsomely. That demographic is women, and many men. Look what happened in FL with Amendment 6. A seemingly reasonable proposition to limit govt $ for abortion failed with 55% voting against it. Truth is, abortion is an issue we can’t win with. We have to pick our fights. By dragging abortion into national politics, we are getting the raw end of the deal. Stand up now to jettison abortion from our politics, or our party faces amnesty for illegals, and socialism.

anotherJoe on November 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM

anotherJoe on November 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Who dragged abortion into national politics? I don’t remember Romney making any add about it or talking about it in speeches.
If anything it was Obama with his contraception mandate (which was really more about religious freedom than abortion) and the media helping him distort the republican position. Should Romney not defend religious freedom?

neuquenguy on November 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Very nice post Guy Benson.. :cool:

Dire Straits on November 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM

anotherJoe on November 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Non-sense.

The polls were essentially spot on the entire time. Had the election been held a week or two earlier before, Romney would likely had secured a narrow win.

The only major variables in those last weeks were Sandy and Christie’s slobbering love affair. That’s it.

Norwegian on November 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Very good analysis, GB. We have the government we deserve. It appears that people would prefer the “safety” of government services and entitlements to “liberty.” As you and I know, we will left with neither as a result.

MJBrutus on November 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM

WHITE HOUSE INSIDER: “SHUT UP. MOVE ON…OR NOT.”
by Ulsterman on November 7, 2012 with 0 Comments in News
After repeated requests for feedback, we finally hear back from the D.C. political operative who just days ago was supremely confident Barack Obama would be defeated in the 2012 Election. They were proven wrong yesterday. Very wrong. Barack Obama remains president. So what now?

(The Jarrett-Obama Agenda received four more years last night. Will the promises of ”revenge” now begin?)
____________________________________
WHI: Please stop with the messaging. I’m going over the #s. State by state. County by county. Had all of that lined up a week ago and it was looking so good for us. Last night not adding up. A major shift in the final hours or some serious anomalies in the actual vote counts. Voter turn out was depressed for both sides. All prior evidence states otherwise. How is that possible? Don’t know. At this point not worth discussing because I don’t have an answer for you so don’t ask. This is f-cking Venezuela we got here.
Is what it is for now though. Shut up. Move on.
You want me to say I was wrong? Fine. I was wrong. But I said they could steal it. And that is what might have happened. But to pull that off in so many states, would mean they got help. Talking from both sides here. Get it? Republicans. And that is scary. If we are that far gone, what the hell are we to do about that? We need a major reset in America if that is the case. We don’t f-cking deserve America anymore. When those Senators dropped Benghazi I got real worried real fast. It felt like a deal had been made. And the CBS bullsh-t. Talk about a media scandal of epic f-cking proportions. But nobody is pushing it. Like I told you. They buried it. Both sides. Gone. I’ll say it again. BOTH SIDES. Get it? I know localized fraud. But a multiple state millions of votes level of fraud. To pull that off would be incredibly risky and would require help from the apparent opposition side. And I don’t really want to go there right now. Too scary.
Read more in News
« Fewer Voters In 2012 Than 2008 – Or 2004????
Another thing. They will use this to further divide the conservatives. Stir them up. Get the finger pointing at an all time high. Divide them up even more. Easy pickings then. You might be getting taste of that already. Keep your head up.
Won’t sugar coat the real issue here though. America is in big f-cking trouble here. Jarrett said they have two judges ready and waiting. They want to own the Court. Congress really does become moot at that point. More than it already is. Hell, if elections are moot, why not the Court too?
Give me 24 more to digest all of this. I’m waiting for feedback from others. Sure they are just as stunned as me. Virginia? That was +3 for us. Easy. When that got jammed up last night I knew something was up. And everybody was saying “What is going on?” Everybody. I’m hearing something like 8 million fewer votes. And we don’t win with those #s? That means no Republican pick ups? How is that possible? Don’t know. Doesn’t make any sense. There is no previous election to hold 2012 up against in comparison. I have never experienced an election night roll out like what happened last night. Never.
Give me 24.
Maybe we shut this down. Permanent or temporary I don’t know yet.
I’ll echo the Old Man. I’m sorry too. Really believed we had this one.
To give you a taste of what I’m doing now I’ll share this with you. I’m using a Florida outcome in a specific district to try and wrap my head around all of this. Three counties. Martin, St. Lucie, and Palm Beach. Martin is controlled by Republicans and the turnout #s match what all our national trending showed. Big enthusiasm for the Republican candidate. Republican vote dominated Martin County. St. Lucie and Palm Beach are the real tests and is where the #s really start to signal something is wrong. St. Lucie leans Democrat. Palm Beach is Dem dominated. St. Lucie showed marginally less votes for Democrats % wise. Republicans enjoyed some cross-over which is what all the national models were indicating. In Palm Beach County which is Dem. dominated, voter turnout was even more depressed than prior elections, especially for the Democrats. But the Democrats won the district. The Republicans lost. Basically, the Democrat-dominated counties seem to be where some very odd #s came back. And if this is the model they utilized last night, they had to have done it in multiple counties for every swing state. That kind of coordination would be huge. And it would need the help of operatives from the other side. So I’m sitting here trying to figure out if the #s represent real voter outcome, which means almost all our internals were way the f-ck off, or how they pulled off fraud. That will take time. It won’t matter for this election, but it will make us better prepared for the next one. Either way, I got to focus and make calls, and try to figure this sh-t out.
Or not.

-INSIDER

mrks on November 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

neuquenguy on November 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Romney tried to do the same thing with abortion as he did with gay marriage and immigration: run away from the issue, or doubletalk (yes, on abortion he did that, purposely I’m sure suggesting it wouldn’t come up in legislation). Problem was not that Mitt didn’t run ads on abortion, but that O did. And it didn’t even take ads for the undercurrent to be that if Mitt wins then Roe vs Wade is in jeopardy. Yes, abortion killed us, maybe just 5% lost, but we lost the election by 1%, so…

Why continue making abortion an issue? Even if we somehow flipped all the cards and made abortions illegal, their would be such a backlash in the electorate that the abortion restrictions wouldn’t last, and that backlash would also bring in European socialism, or actual communism. Abandon abortion as an issue, because without doing that we may lose the bigger fight. Well, we just did lose the bigger fight, for now.

anotherJoe on November 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Maybe we shoulda’ gone with Palin after all!
Progressive Heretic on November 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM

This stood out at me too. It warrants a lot of analysis in the coming months. I personally don’t see anything else that explains it than Palin had the ability to turn out the base, not just the base, but maybe those that don’t normally even to bother to vote because they see it as pointless and she was a true outsider to them. Otherwise I dont get it either, why so many people that voted for McCain/Palin last time wouldn’t vote for Romney/Ryan. Unfortunately I think that excitement was building it was just too little too late, and they were not able to use Ryan to the same effect to turn out the base which is too bad because I think they could have but I suspect the powers that be were too nervous his relative newness to it all would result in a coric-interview-like debacle. But unfortunately avoiding that risk was not worth sacrificing excitement and turnout.

rose-of-sharon on November 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Is it any wonder that a country that does not value life would eventualy and inevitably tilt towards utter and total selfishness –ably embodied by Dear Leader? When the most helpless among us are considered unworthy of help, when the electorate doesn’t run screaming in the opposite direction from ads featuring little girls begging you to protect their right to kill their future children — this is what you get. If you do not respect the unborn, your latent hatred of those who “have” (and your pumped up victimhood as a “have not” – wholly divorced from your personal responsibility for that situation and reinforced by your vengeful “president”) leaves you free to take from, abuse, hate, malign and destroy your neighbor.

natasha333 on November 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Obama lost 10 millions votes from his 2008 total and Romney lost 3 million vote from McCain 2008…

The question for you, Guy and other analysts, to find out is the “Missing 3 million McCain voters”…. Why didn’t they show up? Were they some Evangalical who decided not to vote for the Mormon? They did something similar before in the 2000 elections when 5 millions of them did not show up because of the Bush DUI…

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I keep trying to decide which of these take-aways is the most disheartening. Take your pick, I suppose. I agree with Jim Geraghty (see his downtrodden ‘Morning Jolt’) that 2012 holds darker implications than the 2008 wave did — even though Obama’s margin was diminished, and the House remains in Republican hands.

The United States is on life-support and the doctor is advising pulling the plug.

Bitter Clinger on November 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Progressive Heretic on November 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM

20 million people who were alive last election are not alive now. 60% of that is 12 million; 45% of that 5.4 million.

The lost votes didn’t sit this election out. The lost votes don’t exist anymore.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM

On the missing voters, the significantly less turnout for both, do we know how much of that could be due to Sandy? I hate to waste too much time thinking about it if it was natural reaction of people with other things on their mind, like food, water, and shelter. How does that state by state turnout look, anyone know?

rose-of-sharon on November 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM

They died.

Single women and latinos are increasing as a percentage of the voting public. Whites and married women are shrinking.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Maybe we shoulda’ gone with Palin after all!
Progressive Heretic on November 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I was one of them. I am so done with worrying or caring about the entire corrupt political process and state of our nation. I will selfishly take care of my business affairs and family, etc., and laugh in the face of every single homeless person, giggle every time I hear a teacher crying about no erasers, and smile every time I hear the latest sob story. I will be just like 50%+ of my fellow Americans now. Selfish. Entitled. Greedy. All of it. I’ve got mine and I don’t give a rat’s patootie anymore. Dead serious. And I will make government at all levels spend $10 for every extra $1 it tries to take from me.

Borgcube on November 7, 2012 at 1:56 PM

natasha333 on November 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Agree with your statement. What I fund most depressing last night is that it became very clear to me that this wasn’t just another election loss. I think it became clear that the results reflect the moral state of our electorate, which has been developing for decades. Lack of personal responsibility, laziness, selfishness, materialism above everything else, godlessness, licentiousness, etc. have created a culture where the majority of people are more interested in what is in it for themselves than the good of the nation. Democracy requires higher values, love for freedom and willingness to sacrifice to keep it. We have bigger problems that Barak Obama or a clueless GOP. We have a generation of ill formed voters that needs to be somehow turned around.

neuquenguy on November 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Old Fritz on November 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

IMO, what I think has happened is that liberalism is now permanently enshrined as an institutional tool to control all of us. It’s been happening for decades, of course, but it reached a new philosophical reality with this election. And the thing to remember is that Obama, Jarrett, Soros, et. al. know it and will use it as such. They don’t have to believe it it themselves, and they probably don’t. In fact, they probably laugh behind closed doors at the true believers who do. It won’t be tarnished or discredited because too much of the population, as well as the Dems who perpetuate it, are invested in keeping it going.

PatriotGal2257 on November 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

If you criticize Obama, you’re a racist. If you believe in republican values, you’re a racist. If you love your country and want a leader who won’t get on his knees and apologize to volatile nutcasess around world because some random guy uploaded a youtube video, you’re a racist.

Since our culture basically considers racists right up there with rapists and murderers, as long as democrats run a black man, he’ll be voted into power. It won’t matter how unqualified he is, or how much of a dunce he is without a teleprompter in front of him. He’ll win, and Americans can continue to pat themselves on the back because they “proved” they’re not racist.

Smoothies on November 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Smoothies on November 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM

The white liberal elite who runs the democrat party would not run another black guy for President in a very long time… For them it is just a game like giving a black actor an Oscar… They do it very rarely just to satisfy their obsession with political correctness…

mnjg on November 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Norwegian on November 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM

It’s people like you are going to be left behind. You are choosing to stay bitter.

50K Latinos turn 18 every MONTH in the us.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on November 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

50K Latinos turn 18 every MONTH in the us.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on November 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Yep. I’ve been thinking about the shift a long time, but honestly thought the fundementals of this election were going to be impossible for Obama to overcome.

About 20 million people who were alive in 2008 are dead now. There are about 20 million new voters who couldn’t vote in 2008, and increasing percentages of them fall into groups that support democrats by big margins.

BadgerHawk on November 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM

SAZMD on November 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

With Boehner in charge, we never really had it.

Alabama Infidel on November 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Everytime I posted a comment on our demographics shifting at an accelerating pace, folks just shrugged me off, like I was trolling.

And….I’ll say that more latinos and blacks voted than were counted in the census.

I’m white (by the way) and therefore inherently racist, but there is somthing to be said for keeping a nation racially homogenous to the people that founded it.

michaelthomas on November 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Look at Greece though. They didn’t wake up. America won’t wake up.

mrscullen on November 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Exactly.

Individualism, can-do attitude – the old “pioneer spirit” is dismissed now as the racist doctrine of old racists. The type of people who make up the American nation have changed radically. “American” doesn’t mean what it used to mean.

Django on November 7, 2012 at 2:55 PM

michaelthomas on November 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM

That’s only acceptable for non-white nations. They’re the only ones who are considered ethnically valid. Whites are expected to vanish from the face of the earth.

Django on November 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Agreed. If there was a learning curve, it would have happened decades ago. Not just within our borders, but by looking at other countries that redistribute wealth (Cuba, Russia).

michaelthomas on November 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Hate to say this, but it looks like Dems are going to keep winning elections, not because of demographics, but because it is acceptable to racebait everyone but whites, which is why they are the only racial group that does not vote along racial lines.

If the GOP’s going to run on principled equality of opportunity, their only hope is for more minorities to start voting on principle rather than skin color. Lots of luck with that. Dems will continue to demagogue race, and it’s not like the GOP can counter with a “War on Whites” meme.

TallDave on November 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Why it was so troubling: because Hot Air and other conservative blogs were cheerleading for Romney instead of providing sober, reasoned analysis of the state of the race. They managed to convince their readers that Romney was a lock instead of a longshot. Last night, fantasy and reality collided and I don’t need to tell you which won.

Armin Tamzarian on November 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Look at Greece though. They didn’t wake up. America won’t wake up.

Unlike Greece we have natural resources enough to grow our way out of debt. That’s not our major problem. Our major problem is communicating foundational principles, given our lousy educational system and liberal control of academia. Here are some thoughts that flow from this.

1, The media is corrupt. It needs to be called out publicly. How do we do this?

2. The party needs to produce candidates with enough charisma to attract Hispanics.

3. Can we utilize our strength in state legislatures to block the expansion of federal power? Can we convene a constitutional convention through the states, for instance, to do this?

writeblock on November 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I know it may be taboo to say this, but the fact is the immigration argument has been hijacked by the extreme “death before amnesty” wing of the Republican party.

I don’t know how long most people have been here, but HotAir and Michelle Malkin herself was at the time one of the strongest proponents of this wing back in 2007, or whenever it was that Bush first tried to push through comprehensive immigration reform.

Just think how things would have turned out differently if Bush was successful?

tkyang99 on November 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

anotherJoe on November 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Is there really any bigger fight than 4,000 dead babies every day?

If the cost of electoral victory is to acquiesce to abortion on demand – funded by my church – I’m not interested in victory. I’ll sit the elections out, and man the battlements.

What hurt us on abortion is what’s hurting us in general: the collapse of marriage. Married women are 20 points (more, if you just look at whites) more likely to vote Republican than single women. But there are more and more single women out there, and they not only prize abortion rights and free contraception, they’re simply less conservative across the board. Going the full “pro-choice” isn’t going to get those women in droves.

The_Jacobite on November 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Armin Tamzarian on November 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Romney was the only candidate who gave us a shot. In fact he was a superb candidate, a man who met the hour in terms of personal abilities and integrity. But you’re right about fantasy and reality colliding. We assumed a strength greater than we possessed. We’re outnumbered. Whites are declining as their share of the population. Unless we deal with this we’ll continue to lose.

writeblock on November 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

That’s good news, as they can’t run him again.

HitNRun on November 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I’d be careful making that statement. Obumbler doesn’t like the Constitution and he ignores it whenever he sees fit. The 22nd Amendment is an easy obstacle for him to avoid. He’ll just pretend it doesn’t apply to him. This is only going to get worse, because last night America went from being “The land of the Free” to “The land of the Free Handouts”.

They out number the working people with a 49 million (and climbing) people on the dole, they have a new voting block and all the Obumbler needs to do is keep the EBT cards filled with Obama-Cash and give free phones to those that do nothing.

We have reached that point where people who do nothing get money from Father Government in exchange for handouts. We’re out numbered and surrounded!

Tbone McGraw on November 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

50K Latinos turn 18 every MONTH in the us.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on November 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Stay bitter? I am a young immigrant myself.

Norwegian on November 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Is there really any bigger fight than 4,000 dead babies every day?

The_Jacobite on November 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

It’s not abortion as an issue that’s the problem. It’s how we talk about it. Unless we nominate more sophisticated candidates, we’ll continue to fail politically. Ryan dealt with the issue in his debate in a straightforward way–Aikin and Mourdock did not. Bush won with the issue, so did Reagan. It’s not the issue, it’s the candidate.

writeblock on November 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM