Jim Matheson just barely defeats Mia Love in Utah
posted at 2:01 pm on November 7, 2012 by Erika Johnsen
She fought hard and gained a lot of ground over the course of the race, but in the end, it wasn’t quite enough — this one really gets me. Via the Deseret News:
Rep. Jim Matheson escaped with his political life once again Tuesday to earn a seventh term in Congress.
The Democratic congressman claimed victory shortly after midnight in a hard-fought victory over Republican Mia Love after trailing in the polls going into Election Day. In so doing, he becomes the first representative from Utah’s new 4th Congressional District.
After a seesaw battle all night long, Matheson bested Love 49.3 percent to 48.1 percent, a 2,818-vote gap, according to unofficial results. …
In winning another term, Matheson held on to his position as the state’s lone Democrat in Congress.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 4:1-11
- Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained