Just a reminder: Early exit polls are crapola
posted at 6:35 pm on November 6, 2012 by Allahpundit
Ed already reminded you once of this today, I’m reminding you again. Even lefty poll experts like Mark Blumenthal are warning their readers not to buy in, lest the ineffable heartache of 2004 be duplicated.
But Drudge is the colossus that bestrides the news world and he’s decided he’s going to make a big deal of this, so naturally readers are commenting about it in the threads. Taegan Goddard, who’s also cautioning his readers not to put any stock in the data, has what he says is the early data that Drudge is seeing. You can look if you’re curious, but you’re a fool if you think it matters.
Update: The final exit polls, released late this evening or tomorrow, will be more useful in figuring out why Romney won or lost. Here’s a benchmark to watch via the Journal’s Gerald Seib:
Exit polls in 2008 indicated that 74% of those who cast ballots were white. If the white share of the electorate drops, say to 72%, it seems pretty clear Mr. Obama will win. If it rises, to say 76%, that means Mr. Romney likely is going to win. If the level stays constant, it could be a long night.
Parallel question: Can Mr. Obama win 40% or more of the white vote? If he does, he’ll be in good shape.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation