Green Room

Former GOP official: “I was told I’d already voted, but I hadn’t”

posted at 12:21 pm on November 6, 2012 by

From my exclusive over at Townhall:

The former Digital Director of the National Republican Congressional Committee tells Townhall he fears he’s been victimized by voter fraud in the key swing state of Virginia.  His early morning ordeal played out in the House district of Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA), whose 23-year-old son abruptly resigned from the campaign in late October, after being caught on film conspiring to count illegal votes.  When the NRCC alumnus arrived to vote at his polling place in Alexandria this morning, his attempt to cast a ballot was rebuffed by election officials: “I got inside, they set me up, I gave the woman my ID, and I told her my address.  She said, ‘it seems you’ve voted absentee.’  Then she realized she’d read the sheet wrong. ‘No, it says here that you’ve already voted,’ she told me.  I hadn’t even applied for an absentee ballot, nor did I vote early. As hokey as it sounds, I was excited to vote in person. I had absolutely not voted earlier that day. I arrived four minutes after they opened.  Basically, I was told I’d already voted, but I hadn’t.”

The Moran connection is probably a weird coincidence, but the broader episode is troubling.  Hopefully this is an isolated incident, and this gentleman’s vote is properly secured and counted.

UPDATE – This item was initially posted to the blog by mistake.  My apologies.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Glad I live in Arizona now. You are REQUIRED by state law to bring a photo ID (driver’s license) with you. If you don’t have one, then you have to provide multiple other forms of ID AND something with a picture on it. Early voting is possible (although I don’t support early voting) and it requires identification as well. We also have provisional ballots for problems on voting day.

I’m sorry to say this on a libertarian-leaning site, but it is high time that America reconsiders its voting system. We need a national ID system and a way for every, LEGAL American citizen to vote and feel secure doing it. When Mexico has a better and more secure voting system (pic id’s and finger prints) than the US, there is something seriously wrong….

powerpickle on November 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Not good at all

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Seriously? Was that a joke? Sarcasm? You aren’t really THAT naive, are you? This sort of naiveness is why our side loses.

Gregor on November 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM

This happened to my Dad in 2010. He was able to vote anyway just by talking his way into it. Still, a totally screwed up situation that could be easily fixed.

vegconservative on November 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

So what is being done about it? Does his vote get turned away. Do they find the original ballot and signature? What happens?

njrob on November 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM

true the vote:

Dr. Demento on November 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM

njrob on November 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM

probably given a provisional ballot, they’ll check his signature and will get counted at a later date….

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM

The original ballot can’t be retrieved, but someone signed in as this voter. Hopefully, that person can be identified and prosecuted.

Remember when O’Keefe publicly went out and requested Eric the Red’s ballot. He didn’t do anything with it so he could highlight the problem with not requiring voter ID without being convicted of committing fraud. Now what if a dem voter had no such compunction?

The O’Keefe sting was in Virginia as well. Someone took that page and put it to use it seems.

Parabellum on November 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM

THIS is the real voter suppression that goes on – NOT asking people to actually prove who they are with a photo ID. Democrats don’t care about this kind of suppression, though, because they are the ones that actively cause it most of the time.

lukjuj on November 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Even if this guy gets to vote, his vote is probably canceled by the fradulent vote previously cast in his name. Allowing him to vote only fixes half of the damage.

Chuckles3 on November 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

The demoRats are cheating all across the country, especially in swing states. Just look at the news from Phil. Pa.. Expect more to come from OHIO, Colorado, New Hampshire, and Wisconsin.

I expected only a 1% margin of cheat by the Dem’s. I think Oblamer must have hired even more than he did in ’08. God help us and President Elect Romney.

WV. Paul on November 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM

powerpickle on November 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM

why does the ID have to be national and not state?

alwaysfiredup on November 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I just got back from voting with my son, daughter-in-law and 1st time voter ( for R/R of course) grand daughter. My son’s name was blocked out as having already voted in early voting. He had done no such thing and it took an hour to resolve.

The poll workers were accommodating to the degree that they offered, after a minimal attempt to determine how that had happened, to offer a provisional ballot.

My son refused to accept that and insisted, quite vehemently, that he had NOT voted and wanted assurance that the correct ballot from today would be the one counted. Of course they couldn’t make any such assurance and vaguely indicated that the fraudulent ballot would probably be counted.

At that point he demanded information on how he could pursue this legally, both to have his ballot counted and any criminal prosecution that he could pursue.

After a few more phone calls the word came back that it was a clerical error and he was allowed to vote with no reservations. Attempts to find out what and how the clerical error had been made were fruitless so we called it a day and he voted.

We live in a county in a battleground state, Florida, that is predictive of and strongly influences the ultimate outcome of the state.

I guess all’ss well that ends well but we were all floored at the thought that my babies’ vote had been stolen. Considering my “baby” is 6’5″ and weighs in at 215# I had fantasies that he had voted early and had been in line right behind an effete little creep trying to steal his vote and the resultant mayhem.

Grammie on November 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM