Green Room

Foreign observers: Why no voter ID?

posted at 5:35 pm on November 6, 2012 by

Instapundit flags this reminder from the rest of the world that showing identification is no barrier to voting:

“It’s an incredible system,” said Nuri K. Elabbar, who traveled to the United States along with election officials from more than 60 countries to observe today’s presidential elections as part of a program run by the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES). Your humble Cable guy visited polling places with some of the international officials this morning. Most of them agreed that in their countries, such an open voting system simply would not work.

“It’s very difficult to transfer this system as it is to any other country. This system is built according to trust and this trust needs a lot of procedures and a lot of education for other countries to adopt it,” Elabbar said.

The most often noted difference between American elections among the visitors was that in most U.S. states, voters need no identification. Voters can also vote by mail, sometimes online, and there’s often no way to know if one person has voted several times under different names, unlike in some Arab countries, where voters ink their fingers when casting their ballots.

Incredible is certainly one word.  Vulnerable also comes to mind.  When we demand more ID to buy groceries by check than to choose our government by ballot, we have some priorities out of whack.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Why are foreign observers always so racist?

Gingotts on November 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM

we have some priorities out of whack.

indeed

cmsinaz on November 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Maybe having the UN people observe served one useful purpose. They at least support voter ID.

Rose on November 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Gosh, what sort of crazy liberal fantasy world do you guys live in? I live in Illinois, run by Obamian Democrats in Chicago, Cook County, and statewide, and when I voted early … I had to show my state-issued photo ID not once but at all three stages of the process.

Seriously.

Jaibones on November 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Jaibones on November 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I believe you but it was not the same for me today in Cook County suburbs. Just signed and took my electronic ballot.

Ted Torgerson on November 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Birthers.

Ronnie on November 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Jailbones, California doesn’t require ID. We walk in, sign next to our name, print our address and vote.

Rose on November 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM

My foreign friends,

Our problems here in America can, as a general rule, be traced back to two sources – liberals and lawyers. This is no exception.

Sincerely,
The People

RedNewEnglander on November 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

That’s raaaaaaaacist!

KMC1 on November 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Had to show my ID this morning, Lucas County Ohio. As did everyone else — the vast majority of whom were black.

rbj on November 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

My foreign friends,

Sincerely,
The People

RedNewEnglander on November 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

LOL +1000

Midas on November 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Was asked to show mine voting in Texas (early); dont know what would’ve been the procedure had I not been able to provide it.

Midas on November 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Dear Foreign Observers,

GTFO

Love,
A voter ID proponent

Red Cloud on November 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Voter ID was required in Cuyahoga County Ohio. I think most Ohio fraud comes from mailed ballots. That is why I shred the applications the day they arrive.

ConDem on November 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Incredible is certainly one word. Vulnerable also comes to mind. When we demand more ID to buy groceries by check than to choose our government by ballot, we have some priorities out of whack.

You cannot buy prescription medicine without ID. If you can get to the polls, you can get an ID, and you have a whole year between elections to do it.

No more excuses. This is 2012, not 1812.

dogsoldier on November 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Foreign observers: Why no voter ID?

Ask the groups who invited you here.

mrt721 on November 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Hmm they should ask Eric Holder. I understand the polling officials now have photographs of HIM.

Thank you, James O’Keefe, wherever you are.

dogsoldier on November 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Jaibones on November 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Ted Torgerson on November 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I think I read that in Illinois, early voting requires showing ID but election day voting does not? I seem to recall a mention of it when Obama did early voting.

malclave on November 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Hey, just try to open USP postal box without 2 (TWO) forms of I.D.

OkieDoc on November 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Incredible is certainly one word. Vulnerable also comes to mind.

Outrageous?

RedCrow on November 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Dear Foreign Observers,

GTFO

Love,
A voter ID proponent

Red Cloud on November 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Why? They are saying it’s unusual to not show ID. They are on your side and this has blown up in the faces of the liberals that invited them here.

Frank Enstine on November 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM