Green Room

Infographic of the day: Which blogs and books are preferred by Romney and Obama voters?

posted at 11:59 am on November 5, 2012 by

More politico-cultural candy from BuzzFeed. I’m surprised to see a liberal skew towards Lord of the Rings and, especially, Harry Potter. I would have guessed, given their popularity, that the split for each was more even.

As for blogs, turns out we’re RINOs compared to Red State and the Daily Caller but National Review and the Weekly Standard are RINOs compared to us. (Or, more likely, as big-name conservative pubs, they have more curiosity-seekers in the center and the left checking in with them to sample right-wing opinion and that’s tugging them a bit to the center.) The two big surprises: Judging by Facebook “likes,” Politico’s actually a slightly right-of-center site. And Drudge is way, way, waaaaaaay more preferred by righties than lefties, more so even than Fox News. Everyone reads Drudge, though, so the only way I can think to explain the strong skew is that most of his splashier scoops and teases the past few months have been hits on Obama and Democrats. Those are probably getting a tremendous amount of “likes” from conservatives, and that’s why the skew is so sharp. Under normal non-campaign circumstances, I’d bet he’s somewhere in the vicinity of where National Journal is on the chart.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Which is more different: “Green Room” or “Blogs”?

davidk on November 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Haha… Twilight.

Abby Adams on November 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Okay, so under the “politics of movies” The Lord of the Rings is pretty close to dead center between lefties and righties, but for “politics of books” it’s further on the lefty side. Lefties read more??

Amusing to see Atlas Shrugged waaaaay up in the top right-hand corner. Heheh.

Othniel on November 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I think the charts are nothing more than a fancy way of displaying age demographics. I can’t believe libs know what they’re reading if they consider Tolkien to be more left than right. The man helped convert CS Lewis (CS LEWIS!) to Christianity, and his works have a lot of conservative overtones.

Tacitus on November 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Hmmm… Personnally, I place the Daily Caller in the same catagory as Politico. Both being Progressive irags… As to the other nonsense in this post, its less than meaningless.

aposematic on November 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Respondents who said Shakespeare are posers. I took two college courses in the Bard. Why no Milton, no Chaucer? Liars.

O and BTW, the Economist is awesome.

John the Libertarian on November 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I took a look at my Facebook page for the first time in a month or so and there I was looking at a Hot Air logo with a notation that I “like” Hot Air. I like Hot Air but I have never pressed a “like” button for it. So Google is cooking an awful lot of books to make Facebook some sort of central hub for intertube data.

[email protected] on November 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I like that the NYT and NPR are in the same corner as nutroots sites like ThinkProgress and TPM. That MSNBC is so far to the center is kind of disconcerting though.

LukeinNE on November 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I’m not. Liberals are more disconnected from reality than conservatives. They see the world through fantasy tinged glasses. No surprise their preferred fictional reading material would lean towards fantasy.

My guess is their ostensibly and nominally non-fiction reading material does, too. Take Howard Zinn’s “People’s History”, for example.

farsighted on November 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I’m guessing that reflects the avoidance of such books by Christian families.

Capitalist Hog on November 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

These are adults reading Dr. Seuss, right?

Fallon on November 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I’m guessing that reflects the avoidance of such books by Christian families.

Capitalist Hog on November 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I grew reading Harry Potter in a Mormon home. Also, Tolkien was a Christian and his books have serious Judeo-Christian themes and imagery.

smoothsailing on November 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Can’t believe I gave Buzz a click for that.

bluealice on November 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM

As for blogs, turns out we’re RINOs

HotAir.com — Guaranteed Soft & SquishyOr Your Money Back

Indeed.

FlatFoot on November 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM

smoothsailing on November 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM

And?

Capitalist Hog on November 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM

FlatFoot on November 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Yet, here you are.

Capitalist Hog on November 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Remember that this is based on Facebook “likes.” A lot of conservatives keep their Facebook profiles clean to avoid spam.

skydaddy on November 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM

A lot of conservatives keep their Facebook profiles clean to avoid spam.

skydaddy on November 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Your statement offers ZERO facts.

I’m willing to bet that you have no expertise, no data and no factual-basis for your statement. I cringe when people on the right say utterly stupid things like this.

Honestly. I look forward to the intra-party change that a Romney’s win will bring. Seriously, the Nistas drew out the worst of us.

Capitalist Hog on November 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I think the data sets building these are crap. Almost every single left of center friend on Facebook constantly posts comments, joins groups and “like” political things. With a few exceptions, my right of center friends are leery of liking or posting links to strong right political positions on Facebook and rather thoughtful about what groups they like/join, etc. I think we tend to like our privacy and with the new time line and the smearing of everything you link on FB across teh interwebs, it seems those of us more politically conservative are also more conservative about our personal information being strewn throughout FB world.

And sorry Hotair, while I have read the site from the beginning and been a registered commenter nearly as long (missed the first one or two rounds of open registration), I am not liking it on FB and certainly not using FB to comment.

deepdiver on November 5, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Sad, because I just checked your blog and you have an excellent blog post above the fold. You seem like a smart-guy.

However, I won’t parse my words about your last comment just because I like your lesson-plan.

Think. Then speak or act.

Capitalist Hog on November 5, 2012 at 3:04 PM

certainly not using FB to comment.

This.

Capitalist Hog on November 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM

What about Hot Gas?

esnap on November 5, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Top Pick

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM
Top Pick

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city