Green Room

Redskins Rule: Romney to win on Tuesday

posted at 6:59 pm on November 4, 2012 by

Washington was a 3.5-point favorite but the plucky red-state team would not be denied. And you know what that means.

Nate Silver has his model, I have mine. Click the image to watch.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

This is the first football game I’ve cared about in years.

Mr. Prodigy on November 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Panthers defense brought the heat

jp on November 4, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I posted this on Facebook. Liberals were ready with about 10 other predictors, including the win by my beloved SF Giants.

I’m thinking the Redskins are a much better predictor for some reason.

Nethicus on November 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Washington was a 3.5-point favorite

Yeah, the oddsmakers seem to be getting put to shame more and more recently, haven’t they?

KingGold on November 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I wish I could have faith in this, but I don`t.

ThePrez on November 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM

KingGold on November 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM

But InTraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade!

Dirt McGirt on November 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I wish I could have faith in this, but I don`t.

ThePrez on November 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Only time this trend hasn’t panned out was 2004. Oh, wait…

:P

Myron Falwell on November 4, 2012 at 7:38 PM

KingGold on November 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Except that oddsmakers don’t actually set the odds when all is said and done. They are guessing what bettors will do when they make their odds, but the odds change based on bets. The odds reflect what bettors are saying since the oddsmakers are aiming for equal amounts to be bet on both teams.

NotCoach on November 4, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I wish I could have faith in this, but I don`t.

ThePrez on November 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Yeah…just vote!

AUINSC on November 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM

It’s hard to want your team to lose but luckily it’s not like we aren’t use to it.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I wish I could have faith in this, but I don`t.

ThePrez on November 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM

You mean to tell us that you don’t actually believe that a football game can predict the future of the greatest nation in the history of the world? Amazing!

HiJack on November 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM

At least the Redskins got RGIII. The Cleveland Browns have a QB who will qualify for the Senior Citizen Happy Hour at Denny’s in a few years.

Myron Falwell on November 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Myron Falwell on November 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM

He seems like a nice kid, I love our sixth round pick also Alfred Morris. Both seem to have good heads on their shoulders.

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Cindy Munford on November 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Yankees have a nasty 50 year streak going of not winning the WS under GOP Presidents. W even let the Red Sox in. It’s the price I’ll pay though… Barry only gave us 1 out of the past four years anyway.

Gingotts on November 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Panthers had lost their last five games, fate brought them the win, not their skill.

vegconservative on November 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I have another rule, the NY Daily News rule. I have no idea what their success rate is over the years, but I became a Conservative after 9/11, and in the two elections since then, they picked the winner.

They endorsed Bush in 2004, but as soon as things started to go sour in his 2nd term, they really piled on him.

Their endorsement of Romney was full of caveats (taxing the rich even more, as Obama wants to do, is a good thing, but won’t do much to help the economy), but the fact that they ultimately bailed on Obama, when the day after he was elected they featured a front/back page photo of him at his Grant Park celebration with some nauseatingly rapturous Hope & Change headline that bordered on messianic, shows the degree of disillusionment that’s out there.

As much as I follow the polls and devour all internet political news, I was very anxiously waiting to see who the NY Daily News would endorse. The fact that they endorsed Romney, along with Rove, Barone, and Will all confidently predicting a Romney victory, has me feeling pretty good.

In fact, the NY Times is the only major NY paper to endorse Obama. The NY Daily News, Newsday (very big deal, as they’ve always been very Liberal, unless they’ve made some change that I’m not aware of), and the NY Observer (not sure who reads this weekly) all backed Romney after backing Obama in ’08. Add to that the NY Post, and that’s four out of five papers in one of the most Liberal cities in the country.

ardenenoch on November 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I’m thinking the Redskins are a much better predictor for some reason.

Nethicus on November 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Because with only one exception (provided by the Green Bay Packers and GWB in 2004), the Redskins Rule has applied every election year the Redskins were the Redskins (i.e. since 1936 – they were the Boston Braves in 1932, and their final pre-election game that year was a tie).

Steve Eggleston on November 5, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Skins actually did not play badly; they did not turn the ball over and actually won the ground game. Problem was that the passing game was lame (RG3 was 23-39-0, 215 yds and 0 TDs); the Panthers got to RG3 4 times. Skins also were not able to convert on third down (only 3 for 15) and only scored once on three trips to the Red Zone. Actually, if the Eagles lose tonight, the entire NFC East will have lost this weekend …

TouchdownBuddha on November 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM