Green Room

Is a “vote for Jesus” a vote for Obama?

posted at 2:19 pm on November 1, 2012 by

Bear with me on this, because as Timothy Dalrymple explains, the word order in this post title is important.  A self-styled “world’s most famous internet evangelist” is trying to convince evangelical Christians to write in a vote for Jesus Christ rather than either of the two major candidates for President.  Dalrymple says this is nothing more than a misdirection that will boost Obama by subtraction from Romney:

Keller says this is an election contest of “Satan vs. Satan.”   Obama is “an enemy of God and a true tool of satan!” (I had to include the exclamation mark), and Romney is a “priest in a satanically inspired cult” who would “set aside the US Constitution and enact a Mormon theocracy.”  I can’t seem to summon the will to take this seriously.  It’s ironic in the extreme for an internet evangelist — or any evangelical, for that matter — to complain that Mormons are aggressive at proselytizing.  But when Keller says (without any citation, of course) that “conservative estimates are that over 1 million people in this country alone will become part of his cult without him having to ever say a word,” one starts to suspect that Keller just likes to throw around big numbers he invented in the shower.

Let’s make it simple.  Romney’s theology is different from my own.  But he believes in God and strives to be faithful to him.  He believes that he is saved by the work of Jesus Christ, even though he understands Christ differently than I do.  He is a good man who has always been extraordinarily devoted to his family, his community, and his country.  We can argue over the details and over his personal evolution, but Romney will be pro-life and pro-marriage, a defender of religious freedoms, a strong hand on foreign policy, and determined to rein in government spending and hand on a sustainable and flourishing economy to succeeding generations.  There is no indication that the faith of Presidents sways the faith of Americans.  There is no evidence whatsoever that Romney’s election would lead people to become members of the LDS Church.

The Obama administration must love Bill Keller.  Keller’s readership are about the least likely Obama voters in the country.  Every vote that goes to “Jesus” from the Keller Kamp is a vote taken away from Mitt Romney.

And make no mistake.  On many other issues, we can say that the differences between the two parties are subtle and prudential, sometimes hard to untangle. But we cannot say that on abortion.  The Democratic party simply is the party of abortion.  Witness the lavish celebration of abortion “rights” on Day 1 of the Democratic National Convention.  On this one issue of overwhelming importance for Christians, the Democratic Party is absolutely 100 percent in the wrong.  The Democrats are the abortion regime, and if Obama is President from 2013-2017 then he will be able to install an even stronger pro-choice contingent in the Supreme Court.  It will set the pro-life movement back by a generation. …

A vote for Jesus is a vote for Obama.  And a vote for Obama is a vote for abortion.

Fortunately, Keller doesn’t seem to be all that significant, but it’s worth noting.  Be sure to read all of Timothy’s post.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Here are my thoughts from another thread…

Evangelicals aren’t keen on Mormon beliefs (me included), however we are not voting for a pastor or an elder. We are voting for President and given that the man running on our side is a Mormon, I’m sure he understands the idea of religious liberty. That’s the key. The true Catholics (i.e. not New England and Northeastern) will vote for Romney and I believe so will most true Christians. That’s why I don’t see Obama winning Ohio as a lot of the major hospitals in Cincinnati and Columbus are religious based in one way or another.

MobileVideoEngineer on November 1, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I probably know more about Mormonism than most Mormons themselves do. I’ve done religious and cult research for many years now. I’m not condoning anything that Romney may or may not believe personally and the fact is that he hasn’t made his campaign about any of his religious beliefs. In fact I’m a little disappointed in the way President Bush tried to play the evangelical Christian card only to find out that he had some pretty progressive tendancies and beliefs. I know that it’s still evil if we vote for the lesser of two evils, but if we don’t vote, we’ll get the worse of the two evils. If you can’t win either way, the best you can do is try to lose as little as possible so you still have freedom to possibly change minds. That’s not to say that persecution doesn’t sometimes help the cause, but if it’s coming either way, it’s best to try and have it come slower than faster.

MobileVideoEngineer on November 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I was contemplating not voting for President once Romney became the nominee, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that there isn’t a way around it anymore. Like the person above said, we just have to be diligent after he gets into office. This is why staying home is not an option, we can still help keep everyone in check with the House and Senate. Although that has been proven not to be the case with Obama. The fact that Romney worked with the Mass. statehouse should prove that he does try to listen to the will of the people. We know Obama doesn’t care about the will of the people.

MobileVideoEngineer on November 1, 2012 at 1:28 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on November 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Ridiculous. I really don’t understand the problem with Mormonism, or why it’s so significant people would rather stay home than vote for Romney. They’re not your beliefs, fine…Romney isn’t running to impose HIS on you, so get over it.

changer1701 on November 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Obama has already TRIED to impose his beliefs on America. I don’t think Romney will do so. Big difference.

Othniel on November 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I tend to think that if Jesus walked the earth again- he would be above politics and yes even love lefties. He might instruct them on their sins just like he would instruct righties.

That being said, I think it is hilarious when lefties try to claim that Jesus was a socialist and would have loved the government programs for the “poor and the sick.” Even if you don’t believe in Jesus, do you honestly think that a man who lived in his time would have advocated trusting Caesar to take care of his community?

melle1228 on November 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Well, Jesus is ineligible to be President in America, not having been born a citizen. Seems only Obama voters would vote for him, then. *ducks and scurries for cover*

GWB on November 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Jesus is King already. When He returns there will be no vote necessary. Mr Keller, get off of our side…. Romney does care about this country, obama not so much…

crosshugger on November 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I’m glad to see this thread going nowhere fast. While I appreciate the tenor of the post itself, this post is simply a bait for anti-mormon trolling. I hope the trolls don’t catch the scent of that bait anytime soon.

Longing4Lincoln on November 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Hmmm…killing babies and changing Jesus’ definition of marriage? I don’t think so. Romney doesn’t stand for either.

Christian Conservative on November 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Can a citizen of Kolob legally be president of the United States?

Pablo Honey on November 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I “voted for Jesus” in 1985, when I accepted him as Lord, Savior and God. I voted for a lesser office last Sunday. And that vote was cast for Mitt Romney.

tgharris on November 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

At this point… anything other than a vote for Romney is a vote for Obama… and for the continued ‘ fundamental changing of America‘ (whatever that vague changy statement means in Barry’s head).

RalphyBoy on November 1, 2012 at 7:05 PM