Green Room

Finally: Springsteen acknowledges Chris Christie

posted at 10:10 pm on November 1, 2012 by

So that’s why Christie’s been so nice to Obama. It’s not that he’s had a falling out with Romney; it’s not that he’s scheming to run himself in 2016; it’s not that he’s making kissyface with a Democratic president to boost his odds of reelection in New Jersey next year.

There’s one thing he craves above all: The approval of the Boss.

Despite heroic efforts by Christie, Springsteen, who is still a New Jersey resident, will not talk to him. They’ve met twice—once on an airplane in 1999, and then at the 2010 ceremony inducting Danny DeVito into the New Jersey Hall of Fame, where they exchanged only formal pleasantries. (Christie does say that Springsteen was very kind to his children.) At concerts, even concerts in club-size venues—the Stone Pony, in Asbury Park, most recently—Springsteen won’t acknowledge the governor. When Christie leaves a Springsteen concert in a large arena, his state troopers move him to his motorcade through loading docks. He walks within feet of the stage, and of the dressing rooms. He’s never been invited to say hello. On occasion, he’ll make a public plea to Springsteen, as he did earlier this spring, when Christie asked him to play at a new casino in Atlantic City. “He says he’s for the revitalization of the Jersey Shore, so this seems obvious,” Christie told me. I asked him if he’s received a response to his request. “No, we got nothing back from them,” he said unhappily, “not even a ‘Fuck you.’”

Turned out the secret to earning Bruce’s affection was as simple as offering Obama a golden photo op the week before the election. Mission accomplished:

“We’re a band that you can’t separate from the Jersey shore — still basically a glorified bar band… at your service! So we’re gonna do this tonight from our hometown to your hometown. We’ll send this out to all the people working down there: the police officers, the firemen, and also to the Governor, who has done such a hard job this past week.”

Christie insiders told Robert Costa that his gladhanding of Obama was all about bipartisanship in a crisis, not about working an angle. We’ll see. The Springsteen endorsement of Cory Booker for governor is going to devastating.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

So Christy had to suck up the most overrated president to be noticed by the most overrated “rock” star. I like the purse string angle better myself.

Cindy Munford on November 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM

“The River” was a big part of my perception of American decline when I was a youth. Jimmy Carter, hostages, gas rationing, V8 engines making 175 bhp, men in short-shorts with fishnet tanktops, almost all the steel mills closing, etc.

And then Bruce Springsteen released a much anticipated double album!

And it sucked.

forest on November 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Cindy Munford on November 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM

My uncle is a great man with a good heart, but he’s also a flaming New Jersey liberal working for the Federal Government.

I called him up today to make sure everything was ok after the Hurricane (he said his town lucked out and thankfully he was fine), and he surprised me big time with praise for Chris Christie. He sounded surprised Christie welcomed Obama with such open arms, and then issued genuine praise of Christie as a pragmatist looking out for his state. I never thought I would hear him say such nice things about a Republican before, but his praise of Christie went beyond his appearance with Obama and it sounded like, just maybe, he had a begrudging respect for the Governor he only now has been able to admit to himself.

I’m no Christie fan myself, I think he should stay in Jersey instead of running for President, but politically speaking he made the right move here because if my liberal uncle is impressed I’m sure NJ independents are as well.

Daemonocracy on November 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Daemonocracy on November 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Don’t worry. If Romney wins, he ain’t going anywhere.

And if Romney loses, he’s going to become Bloomberg 2.

budfox on November 1, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Daemonocracy on November 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I think Gov. Christy is probably perfect for his state. Besides the money, can you imagine all the regulations and hoops he will have to jump through trying to get rebuilt. I think it’s probably not a bad idea to make nice to the guy who controls the Corp of Engineers. And Obama has to be nice back because the folks are his voters. Both men need to play nice. I’m hoping it won’t do Obama any good.

Cindy Munford on November 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Seriously don’t understand Springsteen or anybody who listens to him. His music sucks so badly I can’t even tolerate it. He sounds constipated and cheesy.

Jackalope on November 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Has anyone heard Springsteen speak? He is a moron. Is Christie desperate to be popular with these hypocrites?
Wonder if Bonjovi speaks to him?

lonestar1 on November 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Yes, I’ve heard Springsteen speak, and sing, too, in Oslo, in July, on the anniversary of the shootings. He sounded like he had a mouth full of gravel, but it was nice to come out on a rainy evening to honor all those lost the year before.

Not a fan, generally speaking.

Bob's Kid on November 2, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Thank you loser for helping Barry’s flaying campaign… I still won’t endorse you however. I was a bit concerned about the whole Christie losing the NJ Governor’s mansion a few days if Mitten’s wins, but I’m totally fine with it now. Christie can go back to ambulance chasing rather than planning his inauguration.

Reminder.. Christie wants Romney to lose.

Illinidiva on November 2, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Remember a couple months ago when Chris Christie fessed up to having attended 130 Bruce Springsteen concerts, then he did a ‘Thunder Road‘ duet with Jimmy Fallon?

Me neither.

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 2, 2012 at 5:06 AM

Christie is trying to take the “liberals’ favorite Republican” mantle from McCain. Christie is bad news.

bluegill on November 2, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Actually, I am in favor of bipartsian efforts that truly benefit everyone, but the way Chrisie gushed over Obama was sickening—as bad as Obama apologizing to other heads of state.

Oracleforhire on November 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM

During time of disaster it would be wrong or the Governor to ignore the President who is visiting to see the damage. Yes this is an election year but Obama is still President of the United States ( Hopefully not for long).

Dennis D on November 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I would like to ask a question: What would be MSM’s response to a Republican president who took off to campaign while New York and New Jersey were still off the grid, when people of Staten Island are dumpster diving for food, no power, no gas, etc.,etc., etc. Looks like Obama posed for a oouple of photo-ops, then left americans behind again…

Oracleforhire on November 2, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Oracleforhire on November 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Exactly. I am so sick of people saying, “what did you want Christie to do, just ignore the president?”

Of course Christie should be expected to work with the president in a bipartisan manner during this time (duh), but the attention-seeking, overly gushing manner in which he did it and the dismissive way that he spoke of Romney is what rubs a lot of us the wrong way. Why do you think liberals loved it so much? Christie came off as dissing Romney and practically endorsing Obama. It was totally unnecessary, and it became one of the top news stories for a couple days.

I do not trust Chris Christie, and I would never, ever support him in the future if there were other, better conservative alternatives.

bluegill on November 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Springsteen is such a phony. He has gazillion dollars and he’s still singing about being such a working class hero in touch with the people. And his music sucks.

JoAnn1965 on November 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I wonder if any of the fake farming that Springsteen and Bon Jovi have on their properties to get massive tax breaks were damaged in the storm.

Pray for their crops.

Sugar Land on November 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM

So, Springsteen is as much of a pr!ck personally as he is politically. Color me surprised.

That’s even being a bit generous. There’s definitely some talent in the band, but the lead singer and songwriter is a hack and a dooshbag.

UltimateBob on November 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM